Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Xtreme link in your 9Z WCII? Have fun pulling old antenna!

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Xtreme link in your 9Z WCII? Have fun pulling old antenna!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 12:16 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xtreme link in your 9Z WCII? Have fun pulling old antenna!

Anybody know how to get the antenna out of a 9Z WCII transmitter? Tried to unscrew it but apparently it doesn't come out that way.

Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 01:26 PM
woodie

Default RE: Got my XPS, now how do I get my 9Z antenna out?

ORIGINAL: Dustflyer

Anybody know how to get the antenna out of a 9Z WCII transmitter? Tried to unscrew it but apparently it doesn't come out that way.

Thanks
There is a small screw on the bottom of the antennae that holds the 'retaining' latch that snaps into place when you extend the bottom section of the antenna all the way out. Having said that, when you remove the antenna, you would need to remove that retaining clip also which now means you have to remove the back of the tx to get that part out entirely.

Why don't you just collapse the antenna inside the TX and forget about it? Or are you supposed to remove the antenna entirely? Anyone know? With the Futaba modules, I have read you just collapse the original antenna inside but that is Futaba approach.

Woodie
Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Dustflyer

Default RE: Got my XPS, now how do I get my 9Z antenna out?

Woodie,

In the manual they say the stock metal antenna must be removed, with emphasis on the word "must."

It would sure be nice if I could leave that antenna in there, sounds like a pain to get out.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:31 PM
Dustflyer

Default RE: Xtreme link in your 9Z WCII? Have fun pulling old antenna!

Called Hobby Services today and they recommend sending the 9Z in to have the antenna removed!
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 PM
chrisF test pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not that difficult to take it out as long as you dont intend on putting it back in. Then you will have to take the back case off.

http://runryder.com/helicopter/t1265...ove+9Z+antenna
Old 05-07-2007, 09:49 PM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Make sure you disconnect the battery before messing with the antenna. I've fried a radio before while taking the antenna out - the metal antenna touched something that cost $75 and shorted it out.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:58 PM
fritzthecat
My Feedback: (4)

Here is what I recommend if you ever think you need to put the original antenna back.
Get a wooden dowel the same diameter as the thickest segment of the antenna. Tap a 3mm bolthole on the bottom.
Remove antenna iaw above posts and slide in the wooden substitute. Cut dowel leaving 1 inch sticking out the top of the TX. Attach bobble head figure to wood stub.

Fritz
Old 05-08-2007, 09:20 AM
JimDrew
My Feedback: (16)

If you remove the battery door, you will find a 2.5mm screw that can be removed and then out comes the antenna.

FCC requires that we tell you to remove the antenna. Whether you do that or not is up to you.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: JimDrew

If you remove the battery door, you will find a 2.5mm screw that can be removed and then out comes the antenna.

FCC requires that we tell you to remove the antenna. Whether you do that or not is up to you.
Huh?? So are you now saying that it is only a legal CYA that makes you recommend that the antenna be removed?? Or is it actually required?

Old 05-08-2007, 02:12 PM
YLF
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Silent-AV8R

Huh?? So are you now saying that it is only a legal CYA that makes you recommend that the antenna be removed?? Or is it actually required?

Can't really answer that now can he? Wink wink nudge nudge say no more
Old 05-08-2007, 04:38 PM
SteveW
My Feedback: (36)

He's saying the FCC (the law) requires that he tell you that. The rest of it you can figure out for yourself.... hint, hint...
Old 05-09-2007, 03:20 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no, he's been saying it all along since the beginning of the XPS saga. to the FCC's eyes the antenna is part of an RF circuit and must be removed if the radio is to no longer be considered a certified 72MHz transmitter.

dave