Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

First time buyer needs help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2003, 10:40 AM
jaimegmr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time buyer needs help

I recently saw someone flying a FMA Razor and I instantly wanted to get one. I went online and searched for info and found other possible RC planes to buy.
These are:
- FMA Razor 400
- Zagi 400X
- Viper Twin

Which one should I get? Which one is the best?

I would also need to buy a radio transmitter because the airplane kit comes with everything except the Transmitter. So I need a transmitter. I want an FM Transmitter or better, not AM.

Which transmitter is the very minimum in terms of features and channels, etc, that I would need to get?

Which transmitter would be a little bit better but not too expensive?

This is my first time so I dont want to get something that is too costly. I want something basic (or medium) that has the features needed to fly the planes I mentioned above.

I want to spend no more than $250-300 if possible, but I dont want to get low-quality parts.

Thank you.
Old 02-25-2003, 11:53 PM
Lynn S

I know... a lot of guys want to start with a hot good looking airplane, but that is not practical. The AirForce doesn't start pilots off in a F16. They start in something really basic.It takes time and help to learn the basic r/c skills. I would start with something slow and easy to fly, then work your way up to the faster planes.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:12 AM
Phil Cole

I'm only familiar with the Zagi or Razor. Either would be good. Most people I know have Zagis. The Viper Twin name implies two motors. If that's the case, I would not bother - it's just more complication for no real benefit.

Zagis are not the easiest things to fly. They are not that hard, but starting from no experience, it will take a little longer than with some other planes. Once you do learn, the Zagi's will be a lot more fun. They can fly in higher winds, are faster, and can do most aerobatic maneouvers.

They are pretty tough, and can take quite a lot of crashes, but will wear out eventually.

You need a three channel controller with elevon mixing. If you don't get a transmitter with elevon mixing, you can buy a mixer to put in the plane, between the receiver and the servos.

The next step up would be a four-channel radio. These typically don't have elevon mixing, so you would need the external mixer. The four channel can also be used with normal RC airplanes.
The next step up is the 6 channel computer radio. These have six channels and include the elevon mixing. Typically this sort of radio costs $220 to $280 for transmitter, receiver, receiver battery (you don't need this) and four servos (you only need two), so doesn't fit into your budget.

Anything other than the three-channel radios comes with stuff you don't need for the Zagi, so unless you think you'll be moving onto other planes after the Zagi, I'd stick with the three-channel.

The Hitec recommended by the Zagi guys on their beginner page looks good to me.
Old 02-26-2003, 01:18 AM
NV Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

I have 2 400X Zagi's. I don't have experience with the others you were asking about.
I can say I am happy with the 400X. They are really easy to fly. I have handed my radio to a friend who has never flown and he flew it around the field with little coaching and no crash.
I have had flight times of slightly over 30 minutes. Not always, but if you get some thermal lift then can throttle way back. Usually 20 minute flights.
The hardest part is the initial trim flight. If not setup and balanced properly, it could be hard to get launched the first few times.
The first time I flew one at my club, a few other people got them.
If you do go Zagi, check out
www.yourzagi.com
for great info.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	58438_17416.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	36272