Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I need to change frequencies

Old 05-12-2007, 08:28 PM
LT-40
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to change frequencies

Hi, I need to switch my Futaba Skysport radio to ch 40 for pylon racing purposes. I was wondering if [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEKZ2**&P=0] this[/link] would be the way to do it. If not, could someone please help me out?

Thanks a million,

LT-40
Old 05-12-2007, 08:30 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 343 Likes on 274 Posts
Default RE: I need to change frequencies

Legally changing the transmitter freqency on a crystal controlled transmitter can only be done by a service center or someone with the equipment and knowlege to retune it properly.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:36 PM
LT-40

So if it is illegal, why do they sell the Tx crystals? Shouldn't they just limit the distributin/ instalation to the manufacturer?

LT-40
Old 05-12-2007, 10:21 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: LT-40

So if it is illegal, why do they sell the Tx crystals? Shouldn't they just limit the distributin/ instalation to the manufacturer?

LT-40
Because there a lot of people with tools and creditials to do the job. There a lot service centers around the country and even some hobby shops that are licensed to do radio repairs and tuning.
Old 05-13-2007, 07:07 AM
BarracudaHockey

My car will do 90, that doesn't make it legal
Old 05-13-2007, 07:35 AM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Hi, I need to switch my Futaba Skysport radio to ch 40 for pylon racing purposes. I was wondering if [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEKZ2**&P=0] this[/link] would be the way to do it. If not, could someone please help me out?

Thanks a million,

LT-40
[link=http://radiosouthrc.com/]Radio South[/link] will check out your radio, install a new crystal, and retune it for a reasonable price. Since you're using it to fly fast planes in tight quarters, doing it the RIGHT, and legal, way is the only responsible choice.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:59 PM
LT-40

Thanks for the link piper. I will consider them, but are there any other places that are closer to Utah that also repair radios. I don't want to ship it all the way to Florida.

LT-40
Old 05-13-2007, 06:41 PM
carrellh

Thanks for the link piper. I will consider them, but are there any other places that are closer to Utah that also repair radios. I don't want to ship it all the way to Florida.

LT-40
Hobby services (Futaba's US Service Center) is in Illinois and they'll do it for you.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/service.html

If you have a local hobby shop, they may know of someone in your area who has the equipment and skills to do it.

<< edit >> Transmitter frequency changes are $20.00 plus $8.99 shipping. Rush service and fast shipping is available for more money. Here is the link to the 'flat rate' service request form
http://www.hobbyservices.com/futaba-rates.html

The guy in Texas is about 200 miles closer to you.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:48 PM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

LT,
Here is a link for Fortworth. They do repair and retuning.

Dave

http://www.dumondrc.com/
Old 05-13-2007, 11:14 PM
LT-40

Thanks for the links guys. Its too bad that Dumond is ill at the time and is not currently doing services. I think I will probably just send it to the futaba service center.

Thanks again,

LT-40
Old 05-14-2007, 01:23 AM
skorp_jon

I don't understand why you in America are not allowed to change quartz at home. It's simple. Just unplug the original and plug in the other quartz. It's very simple.

We in europe have quartz in the outside of the radio. So it only takes a second to switch frequency.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: skorp_jon

I don't understand why you in America are not allowed to change quartz at home. It's simple. Just unplug the original and plug in the other quartz. It's very simple.

We in europe have quartz in the outside of the radio. So it only takes a second to switch frequency.
In the US RC's are secondary users. Its possible for the radios to do real damage to the primary users if the wrong crystal gets put in there. If it were free here I am sure the crystals that are made for the receiver would end up in the transmitter. That would put them way off frequency.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 AM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

In the US there are licensed users mixed in between our frequencies. It's not a question of ease of changing crystals, it's making sure we don't interfere with licensed paying users.
Old 05-14-2007, 09:17 AM
tomlee

Uhmmm, I am wondering why Futaba sells plug-in single frequency modules and adjustable channel modules.
They also sell a xmttr and receiver matching xtal pack.

I used to use a "dial-a-crash" module and carry extra receiver xtals if the channel I was using was in use. I used to have three or four other guys on the same channel and then came along DX-7, Futaba and xtreme. Problem, for me, solved.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:58 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: tomlee

Uhmmm, I am wondering why Futaba sells plug-in single frequency modules and adjustable channel modules.
They also sell a xmttr and receiver matching xtal pack.

I used to use a "dial-a-crash" module and carry extra receiver xtals if the channel I was using was in use. I used to have three or four other guys on the same channel and then came along DX-7, Futaba and xtreme. Problem, for me, solved.
Modules contain all of the RF components and can be changed by anyone at any time.

Receiver crystals can be changed by anyone at any time.

They sell TX crystals, and crystal sets, for a couple of reasons:
They have customers in places that allow crystal swapping.
They have customers with the equipment, knowledge, and skill to check and adjust the tuning.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:07 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And they also sell/ship world wide where the regulations simply don't appy. The various "shops" in the U.S. also need a source of parts for making their LEGAL changes.

Having an individual change his own crystal may or may not cause a problem. That's not the issue here or at least it shouldn't be. It's simply NOT allowed at the present time under U.S. regulations, PERIOD.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:40 PM
BarracudaHockey

The fine for non-compliance is 10 grand per occurance and since you were doing something illegal any insurance would hang you out to dry if the unthinkable were to happen.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:21 PM
tomlee

Thanks for clearing that up for me.