Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

DX-7 & interference problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DX-7 & interference problems

Well I finally got the chance to try out the new Dx-7 in some of my models today. So much for being immune to noise interferance. I have a 1/4 scale DR-1 with a std. mag ignition G-26 on it. As I was letting the engine warm up at an idle I noticed my ailerons would intermittently move up and down. Of course I didn't fly it but that left me scratchin' my head. Everything else checked out o.k. Shut the engine down and the problem would stop.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:25 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: DX-7 & interference problems

I would investigate more of a vibration problem that could be affecting an antenna or 2nd receiver or even maybe the power
lead into the dx7 receiver. Also check your servo extentions..and if your using a y-cord..that also. Since the ailerons were the only thing
affected, try switching out aileron to elevators and see if the elevators twitch..that may help identify the problem.

bobzilla
Old 05-12-2007, 09:29 PM
GaGeeBees
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with bobzilla. You've got something going on other than radio interference. Gotta be a vibration problem.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:15 PM
bobzilla
My Feedback: (63)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

swapping the ailerons leads to the elevator will help lots identifying problem. At 2.4ghz, the dx-7 is pretty immune to most common freq. interference in the RC world. I had my primary battery connection on the dx-7 (lower horizontal) give me problem, and when I plugged the battery into the aux2 port..I got a good connection..I now use 2 batteries and 2 separate switches to the DX-7...one going into the "battery port" and one into a y-cord off my choke servo (thus feeding power to servo bus/receiver). Good luck on finding this "Gremlin" and don't fly till you do!

Bobzilla

Old 05-12-2007, 10:20 PM
chrisF test pilot

Like stated the RF is immune to noise from the ignition, the servos however are not. You are either getting RF noise directly into the servos for some reason or you have a component failing that is being affected by the vibration.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:10 PM
Ed

I've had that happen, and it was no more then dirty connectors.

Try hitting them with a shot of contact cleaner.

> Jim
Old 05-12-2007, 11:12 PM
Ed

( .... or WD-40 )

> Jim
Old 05-13-2007, 10:13 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You very well could have an interferance problem. While 2.4G units are somewhat more free of RF interferance than the 72MHZ units, they are not imune to it. We also had a case of very bad interferance on 2.4G at our field. It was partially solved by moving all radio gear back as far as possible from the engine (a large gasoline unit with electronic ignition). Finally also replacing the throttle push rod with an all plastic unit made the system flyable. You still have to use good installation techniques with the 2.4G systems.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Warbird Man
My Feedback: (95)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I finally found the problem and I guess I should have known better. I have a TME smoke system with an electronic switch that was mounted on the back side of the firewall and I have a G-26 in it for an engine. G-26s have the flywheel and magneto in the back of the engine and I was getting the interferance from the smoke switch being too close to the engine. All is well now. I thank all for the help.