Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9z Or 9c or 8uap

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 10:28 PM
gordyd4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9z Or 9c or 8uap

Is the 9Z worth the extra money over the 9CAP or 8uap
Old 02-26-2003, 11:40 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't do the UAP. I had bought one a year prior to the 9CHP coming out. Sold my UHP and bought a CHP the first time I picked one up. I don't see the Z as being worth the extra money, but it depends on what you are doing. I do see the CHP or CAP being worth it for any flier, but the Z is a touch much. I really like my CHP though. I have sold every other radio and bought a bunch of receivers for the CHP. It is the best radio I have seen yet. You would love it.
Old 02-27-2003, 12:08 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

I agree with Flyboy, it depends upon what you are doing (or what you would like to do.)

I use a ZAP. Once I realized the power of flight conditions I'd never go back to a radio that doesn't support them, but that's me. Many are happy with a few mixes and dual or triple rates... that's fine too.

The main diff between the CAP and ZAP are conditions. The CAP kinda-sorta supports limited flight conditions, but no where near like the ZAP does. If you want to use conditions, the ZAP is worth every penny.

There are other diffs like the ZAP supports more powerful mixers, curve mixes are more detailed, other goodies, etc. While all these extras in the ZAP start to add up, these extras in the ZAP are probably not worth the cost if you don't use conditions.

Cheers
Old 02-27-2003, 12:27 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Default 9c

I wouldn't get the 9z unless you plan on participating in competitive flying. The 8u is a great radio (I have one ) but the 9c is better. If I were you I would buy the 9c. If you want an 8u, I'll sell you mine and I'll buy the 9c . Take care!
Old 02-27-2003, 01:32 AM
gordyd4

Thanks for the replies. I don't know what conditions really means...flight conditions, weather.......? As far as competitive flying, I may in the future. I have been flying since 1978 and never used a computer radio...is that really bad or what. I would like to learn more about the conditions from someone who uses them to see if I really need them.

I know the 9z and 9c have the capability to change from plane to plane, but does the TX change from pcm to ppm automatically when another plane is selected. For example, gas plane flies with PCM, while glider has FM, or does a dip switch have to be selected.

Thank you again, Gordon
Old 02-27-2003, 01:44 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gordon,
No, you can program pcm and ppm for each model and it will change automatically. You do, however, need to reset the power when switching from one to the other to get the radio transmitting in the correct mode. I'd recommend the 9C as the best bang for the buck.

Flight conditions = nearly 100% adjustability with the flip of a switch, stick, etc. The 9C does not have this function but with switch assignment you can get relatively close. I don't envision upgrading from my 9C to a 9Z for a long, long time. Ever since I got this radio, I've noticed that I no longer look in the catalogs at radios, because mine does everything I will need to do for quite some time.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:06 AM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Default Condition

Conditions are a hard idea to grasp at first (at least for me it was.)

A switch on the radio for weather conditions? Ha... I wish... That'd be nice.

Like what FlyFalcon touched on, conditions = nearly 100% adjustability. Think of it this way. Each model can have a totally different setup assigned a switch, knob, etc. You can set a completely different throw rate, dual rates, mixes, you name it, basically the whole model is redefined.

Why would you want to do this? There are times when completely different setups on one model are useful. I use conditions to change from 3D setups to IMAC(precision flying) setups while in the air. I flip one switch and now all my settings for the plane have change, mixes have changed, I have new throws and new dual rates, new idle up setting, new mixes for KE and downlines, etc. Heli guys might setup a condition for hovering and another one for 3D. Gliders may set up a special condition for landing, etc.

I'm probably not doing a good job explaining this, but conditions are incredibly powerful. Once you get used to them I think there is no substitute. But you really need to use them or the ZAP isn't worth the $ otherwise in my opinion.

Gordon, my guess is that you will be very happy with the CAP. It is a very capable radio. I'd suggest that route. If after a season you find the CAP can't do something you want, then consider selling the CAP and getting a ZAP.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:09 PM
gordyd4

After reading the replies on this thread, I went to the Futaba web site and read the info on the 9ZWCll again. A very capable radio and it is my choice. I can certainly grow into the radio.

Thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Ordered new WCll from Tower this morning; they had one transmitter in stock, and its on the way! I can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 04:25 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

You lucky dog you!
Old 03-04-2003, 04:08 PM
gordyd4

Default 9ZWCll

OH MY GOD; new 9Z radio delivered yesterday.....awsome! Very thick instruction manual......I will need some help with this one.
Old 03-07-2003, 07:18 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default manuals

GD, I recomend you take another trip back to www.futabarc.com, go to manuals, and to the 9Z page. download the free "getting to Know the 9Z". It will hopefully offer you a lot of help in learning your new radio!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:05 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Wow, I read that and found that it does what I have seen people do with the 8U and 9C. Instead of loading a new model memory for the same plane but with different (conditions) you can change them on the fly, in the air!
Old 03-08-2003, 07:09 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Geist, you are exactly right. It doesn't let you change EVERYTHING, but you can change anything in the condition menu...hence that separate menu.

the logic of the 9Z is as follows...

system menu -- functions which change the whole radio. example: change frequency, select a different model, set user name.

model menu -- functions that can be made within one model and are common throughout the whole model regardless of what condition is selected. example? servo direction.

condition menu -- functions that can be changed and set separately for each condition -- including all 5 mixes, dual rates, end points, aievator settings, etc. etc. etc.etc.etc.etc.

FAR more flexible, and around many more years, than JR's "flight conditions" which have very limited flexibility, require specific switch assignment, and require giving up certain other functions to use them.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:48 AM
gordyd4

AnnMarie,

Thanks for the info on the 9Z. I will check the Futaba web site for the help.

Gordon