Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Servo Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Ustick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hitec Servo Failure

I posted this about 10 days ago in the Hitec support forum and never received a response; so I thought I'd see what you guys have to say. Am I being unreasonable?
================================================== ====================================

In September of 2006 I purchased four HS-325HB servos for my various RC planes. In Februrary of 2007 I installed them in a .60 size Hangar 9 P-47 . About three weeks ago I noticed some play in the center position of the two aileron servos; last week I returned them along with proof of puchase to Hitec for warranty service. Today I received a call from Hitec service with a quote for the repair of my servos, I asked why I needed to pay for anything since I was well within the two year warranty period. I was told, "nylon gears arent covered under warranty, only metal gears." I was shocked to hear this since I didn't recall this language in the Hitec warranty statement:

TWO YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
For a period of two years from the date of purchase HITEC RCD, INC. shall REPAIR OR
REPLACE, at HITEC RCD, INC. option, defective equipment covered by this warranty, otherwise the
purchaser and/or consumer is responsible for any charges for the repair or replacement of the radio.
This warranty does not cover cosmetic damages and damages due to acts of God, accident, misuse,
abuse, negligence, improper installation, or damages caused by alterations by unauthorized persons
or entities. This warranty only applies to the original purchaser of HITEC RCD, INC. products
purchased and used the products in the United States of America, Canada and Mexico. Batteries,
plastic cases and gears are not covered by this warranty
THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ANY AND ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER FOR
MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND WHETHER EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED. REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY IS THE EXCLUSIVE
REMEDY. HITEC RCD, INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY RELATING TO THIS
PRODUCT. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED
WARRANTY OF MERCHANABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICUALR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT
IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or
allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to
you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from
state to state.

After verifying no mention of nylon gears being excluded from warranty coverage, I called Hitec service to confirm what I was told. Again, they stated, "nylon gears aren't covered by warranty."

As a new customer of Hitec, I'm deeply disappointed by the life expectancy of the Hitec servos and the level of customer service available under the Hitec warranty. I would strongly urge Hitec to include language specifically outlining what components are and are not covered by the two year Hitec "warranty."
I doubt I'll ever purchase another Hitec product.

Jeff Morrison
Old 05-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Hitec Servo Failure

ORIGINAL: Ustick

I posted this about 10 days ago in the Hitec support forum and never received a response; so I thought I'd see what you guys have to say. Am I being unreasonable?
================================================== ====================================

In September of 2006 I purchased four HS-325HB servos for my various RC planes. In Februrary of 2007 I installed them in a .60 size Hangar 9 P-47 . About three weeks ago I noticed some play in the center position of the two aileron servos; last week I returned them along with proof of puchase to Hitec for warranty service. Today I received a call from Hitec service with a quote for the repair of my servos, I asked why I needed to pay for anything since I was well within the two year warranty period. I was told, "nylon gears arent covered under warranty, only metal gears." I was shocked to hear this since I didn't recall this language in the Hitec warranty statement:

TWO YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY
For a period of two years from the date of purchase HITEC RCD, INC. shall REPAIR OR
REPLACE, at HITEC RCD, INC. option, defective equipment covered by this warranty, otherwise the
purchaser and/or consumer is responsible for any charges for the repair or replacement of the radio.
This warranty does not cover cosmetic damages and damages due to acts of God, accident, misuse,
abuse, negligence, improper installation, or damages caused by alterations by unauthorized persons
or entities. This warranty only applies to the original purchaser of HITEC RCD, INC. products
purchased and used the products in the United States of America, Canada and Mexico. Batteries,
plastic cases and gears are not covered by this warranty
THIS WARRANTY IS IN LIEU OF ANY AND ALL OTHER WARRANTIES, WHETHER FOR
MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND WHETHER EXPRESS OR
IMPLIED. REPAIR OR REPLACEMENT AS PROVIDED UNDER THIS WARRANTY IS THE EXCLUSIVE
REMEDY. HITEC RCD, INC. SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY RELATING TO THIS
PRODUCT. EXCEPT TO THE EXTENT PROHIBITED BY APPLICABLE LAW, ANY IMPLIED
WARRANTY OF MERCHANABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICUALR PURPOSE ON THIS PRODUCT
IS LIMITED IN DURATION TO THE DURATION OF THIS WARRANTY.
Some states do not allow the exclusion or limitation of incidental or consequential damages, or
allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts, so the above limitations may not apply to
you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may have other rights which vary from
state to state.

After verifying no mention of nylon gears being excluded from warranty coverage, I called Hitec service to confirm what I was told. Again, they stated, "nylon gears aren't covered by warranty."

As a new customer of Hitec, I'm deeply disappointed by the life expectancy of the Hitec servos and the level of customer service available under the Hitec warranty. I would strongly urge Hitec to include language specifically outlining what components are and are not covered by the two year Hitec "warranty."
I doubt I'll ever purchase another Hitec product.

Jeff Morrison
I doesn't seem fair but it does say so in the fine print.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:04 PM
pilotpete2

Does anybody warranty plastic servo gears? Strange that the 325hb's are Karbonite and should outwear regular nylon gears.
Pete
Old 05-16-2007, 04:26 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

The key word is "option". Worn gears is from use , I don't know what the torque of these servo's are but they may have been under powered for the plane. I have used Hitec for many years and have never had one go bad. Keep trying there're good servo's. Dennis
Old 05-16-2007, 04:42 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your complaining about loosing the gears in a couple of $13 servos, you won't be in this hobby long, get over it and move on, you will spend alot more then that the first time you plaster a nice airplane due to some failure.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:34 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you can bust a gear smackin into a doorway -
I would not warrant them either
Old 05-16-2007, 08:53 PM
Ustick

ORIGINAL: Robotech

ORIGINAL: Ustick

Batteries, plastic cases and gears are not covered by this warranty

Jeff Morrison
I doesn't seem fair but it does say so in the fine print.
Thanks for pointing this out. I stand corrected.

ORIGINAL: P-40 DRIVER

If your complaining about loosing the gears in a couple of $13 servos, you won't be in this hobby long, get over it and move on, you will spend alot more then that the first time you plaster a nice airplane due to some failure.
You make a lot of sense. I'm quitting this hobby; I can't take it!

Seriously, it never was about the money and I knew I was rolling the dice with the cheap servos. Since I didn't notice any mention of plastic gears being excluded I felt they we're trying to play a fast one on me.

I'll give Hitec another chance.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Safebet
My Feedback: (12)

Ustick: You can't quit now because you just taken a hit on the servos. In RC, like everything else, there is different equipment for different applications. Don't let this one thing spoil the enjoyment of a great hobby. We all make mistakes. I use Hitec and I have had very good luck with them. When possible I try to upside the manufacturer specified size by 1 notch just to be on the safe side. If they call for a 40 oz. size I try to go to a 60 oz.

Like I said just be cool, you are learning by experience like the rest of us and we all have suffered setbacks, dissappointments and equipment failures at one time or another. That's one reason I read this forum everyday. I have avoided many mistakes and learned a lot of new things right here in this forum. You had every right to uestion the manufacturer, but it just so happens that this time you were human and missed one little line.

And besides, admit it, you are addicted like the rest of us. Best wishes, welcome to the fraternity, and good luck on your future endeavors. Hang in there!

Jim
Old 05-16-2007, 09:59 PM
Ustick

ORIGINAL: Safebet

Ustick: You can't quit now because you just taken a hit on the servos. In RC, like everything else, there is different equipment for different applications. Don't let this one thing spoil the enjoyment of a great hobby. We all make mistakes. I use Hitec and I have had very good luck with them. When possible I try to upside the manufacturer specified size by 1 notch just to be on the safe side. If they call for a 40 oz. size I try to go to a 60 oz.

Like I said just be cool, you are learning by experience like the rest of us and we all have suffered setbacks, dissappointments and equipment failures at one time or another. That's one reason I read this forum everyday. I have avoided many mistakes and learned a lot of new things right here in this forum. You had every right to uestion the manufacturer, but it just so happens that this time you were human and missed one little line.

And besides, admit it, you are addicted like the rest of us. Best wishes, welcome to the fraternity, and good luck on your future endeavors. Hang in there!

Jim
Jim, thanks for the kind words; but I was just having a laugh with my earlier post about quitting. I've been enjoying model aircraft for about 20 years, I'm not about to quit.

And yes, I am addicted.[sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Jeff
Old 05-17-2007, 03:34 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you need cheap servos, go with the Hitec 425's, their almost bullit proof. Karbonite gears in 325HB's are very durable as far as wear is concerned but won't take much in the way of a shock load.