Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Receiver temperature going up!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:50 PM
rcj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receiver temperature going up!

Has anyone experience temperature increases (example 15-20 degrees over a 15-25minute runtime) in the Futaba R603FF receiver that comes with the Futaba 3PM 2.4ghz radio set?
For information, my receiver is powered by 4.8V power supply from the ESC.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:27 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Receiver temperature going up!

What do you mean, powered by 4.8 volts from escapement? The power, if comming from the escapement may not be exactly 4.8 volts, it varys with the brand of escapement as there is a voltage regulator in the escapement providing the lower (lower than the input voltage to the escapement) voltage to the receiver. There is a second regulator in the receiver which again regulates to a still lower voltage (usually about 3 volts) for the RF section. This regulator in the receiver will cause a temperature rise in the receiver, the higher the input voltage to the receiver, the higher the temperature will rise.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ESC=Electronic Speed Control, not escapement.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:55 PM
rcj

Rodney,

Assuming you mean ESC is electronic speed control, I didn't know that there was another voltage regulator in the receiver. Actually, the R603FF receiver is rated to run at 6.0V. So, if there is a voltage regulator in the receiver, how would the voltage regulator work --- would it cause this heat that I'm experiencing in the receiver? (I don't know much about electronics)

For information, other than the heat, the receiver is working normally.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:18 AM
bruce88123

Most RX's do operate internally at @ 3-3.5 volts depending on the brand. This working voltage is achieved via an internal voltage regulation. This helps stabilize RX operation as battery voltage fluctuates due to servo loads and battery rundown.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 AM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

I was going to ask about that.... I work at a hobby shop and I am amazed at how many people call it an escapement.... I've wondered where it comes from??
Old 05-24-2007, 09:15 AM
Deadeye

ORIGINAL: exeter_acres

ORIGINAL: bruce88123

I was going to ask about that.... I work at a hobby shop and I am amazed at how many people call it an escapement.... I've wondered where it comes from??
The OLD days of RC.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:26 AM
bruce88123

Goes back THIS far:
Radio Controlled Aircraft : A Brief History
http://www.ottawarcclub.com/top-jun99.html

Probably the first really successful R/C aircraft were Fairey IIIFs which were modified with more dihedral as part of a programme at the Royal Aircraft Establishment (Farnborough). They had a simple R/C system. The aircraft became known as Fairey Queens which explains why subsequent R/C drones were called the Queen Bee and the Queen Wasp.

About the same time, Major Raymond Phillips was touring the country (Britain) giving displays with his electric powered airship ... it used a spark transmission system and a method of sequential controls.

In 1934, Reginald Denny (screen actor and modeller) produced a nine-foot R/C model which he tried to sell to the Army for target practice for AA gunners. It crashed on a demo but a later version with 5 (tone) channels worked well and went into production. The plant was named Radioplane Inc. and one of its employees on the wing assembly was Norma Jeane Baker of whom you may have heard (aka Marilyn Monroe).

In 1936, Ross Hull produced an R/C glider with a sequential escapement system turned by rubber strip.

In 1937, R/C was introduced as an event at the US Nationals and was won by Chester Lanzo, though Chester confided that there was more radio than control.

In 1938, the Good brothers entered and won, though the stab got knocked out of alignment at take-off and the control wasn't great. Next year they got it all together and won again. The 1938 plane can be seen in the Aerospace Section of the Smithsonian.
Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry about saying escapement, a hangover from the days when ESC always meant escapement and I should know better, old age is getting to me. When RC was in it's infancy, the escapement was one of the new advances for its time and the nominclature held on for years. Yes, I did mean electronic speed control and yes there is a second regulator in most receivers.