Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics Radio Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 06:20 AM
gjhinshaw
My Feedback: (303)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics Radio Question?

I have gotten a Airtronics radio with a plane I bought and have no Idea what it is. It says it is a PCM-7 Spectra. It also says SP7P 7 channel Pulse code Modulation. Can anyone tell how old the radio is?, Can it still be used?, What is it worth? I have everything for it, It is in NEW condition. Thanks for all your time in advance.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:57 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Spectra

I still have one that I got in the mid to late 80's but it just recently died.

The Spectra dates from that era, was a notch up from the Championship and a notch down from their Quantum (a radio nobody ever much hears about). Was probably one of best of the last "analog" style computer radios just before "digital" went big. Was superceded by the Vision with ATRACS in the early 90's. Vision was one of the leading edge digital computer radios at the start of the modern computer radio era.

The radio should be a good one. Make sure that batteries are good and if you pull the module out, it should have a gold sticker on the inside. Has many features setable by switches & pots plus can be selected between PCM & PPM.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:19 AM
skyliner

Default Airtronics Radio Question?

I agree, the Spectra I have goes back to 1984. I am still useing it
and it has been flawless. The Quantum was in the Airtronics line at the same time as the Spectra the Quantum had a liqud crystal
display and a few more bells and whisles..I wouldn't hesitate to use it Just be sure it is narrow banded.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:26 AM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Airtronics Radio Question?

How would you switch between PCM and PPM? Different modules? Where would you buy these? I got this radio with a Rx and 3 servos with extensions for $80 on ebay. It has alot of features, at least what I would consider alot, however it didn't come with a manual and I don't know everything it can do or how to use it to it's best ability. It seems like a good radio, and if I could get it also in PPM it means I could use it with the micros electrics I hope to be getting soon.
Old 11-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Thud_Driver

There should be a switch on the panel under the front cover to change between PCM and PPM. You don't have to change modules for that, only to change frequencies. The Tx modules are the same as the Vision system and may still be available from Airtronics.

Ok, my bad, the Spectra doesn't have the PCM/PPM switch like the Vanguard PCM did. Uses PCM receivers only. Compatible receivers are available at Airtronics.
Old 11-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Wufnu
My Feedback: (2)

Oh, how depressing I got so excited when I heard that, earlier, heh. Err, how much do you think the Tx + matching Rx would be worth, together, with four standard? While I like it, I really need PPM so I can use only one Tx instead of multiple ones, and I'll mostly be flying light parkflyers and micros.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:12 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Just to confirm what others have said, The PCM 7 Spectra is PCM only and the Rx's used must be Airtronics. There is no interbrand compatability with PCM systems. I too still use mine on occassion and it was amazing for its day with an amazing vareity of Mixs, endpoints, Expo features among others all done on a huge panel of manual pots and dip switchs. However this radio was not driven by a micro processor and has no storage for mutiple airplane setups. In other words it is useless for using on many different airplanes.

John
Old 11-28-2004, 10:15 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 11-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Thud_Driver

ORIGINAL: Wufnu
how much do you think the Tx + matching Rx would be worth, together, with four standard?
While I don't watch used radio prices much, and while the Spectra was great for it's time, it's pretty dated now. You might break even, or not, at $80. The Spectra really isn't easily adaptable for multiple plane installations. It was still kinda one radio one plane back then. Low end computer radios with the same capabilites, or more, are available for well under $200 now. You might want to consider going in that direction, particularly if the Spectra TX and RX batteries have to be replaced.

If you can't sell it for what you want, I suggest using it until it dies/crashes and then toss it. That's what I did with mine.