Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Batteries for old Kraft radio

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 05:05 AM
GaryBear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Batteries for old Kraft radio

Hello all, I am new to this forum. I have an old Kraft sport series radio that I would like to restore. Where would be the best place to find a new set of NiCads for the xmitter and receiver? Also, is this radio still legal to use? I have been out of this hobby for a lot of years, but now that I am retired I would like to get back into it.
Thanks.

GaryBear
Old 03-03-2003, 05:38 AM
skyliner

The radio would not be legal to use unless you have it updated and checked ( Narrow banded) I assume it is an AM radio and therefore I don't believe you can update the RX. You will have to purchace a new narrow band RX.

Is it a gold or ivory case (newer) Sport Series? The early gold case Sport Series had the batteries wired directly to the switch harness,bad news in a crash.

If you decide to update the old radio,which may not be worth the cost, I wouldn't bother to replace the RX pack with the heavy old packs Kraft used. Just wire the Kraft lead and connector to a new 4 cell pack The TX pack would still be available from Kraft Midwest (Pete Waters) but again you will put the price of a new radio in the upgrade.

I have many old Kraft's some are updated but I still like those old radios.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:45 AM
GaryBear

Thanks for the reply. It is starting to look like the old Kraft may not be cost effective to restore... I was just thinking of how much it cost new, and I didn't even use it much. Oh well, lots of things electronic are like that these days!
Old 03-03-2003, 02:24 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Old Kraft

If you decide not to restore the radio, put it up for sale on RCUniverse. Some of us think the old radios are worth restoring.

You might be surprised how much you get for it!
Old 03-05-2003, 01:50 AM
avinut
My Feedback: (2)

SR sells Kraft battery packs
Old 03-05-2003, 11:34 PM
jetranger-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Default battery

Send the set to Kraft Midwest to get updated as for the batter Mr. Nicad has the best price around $18 I think the last time I looked