Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

airtronics stylus

Old 03-04-2003, 03:51 AM
bobcheese

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airtronics stylus

I just got an airtronics stylus. i wanted to use it on my zagi until i finish my other plane. for the zagi i need elevon mixing. i couldnt figure out how to make the mixing work. I activated the spoiron menu to make both aileron servos work and then the b-mix menu to activate the mixing. however when i move the stick to the left or right it makes both servos move the same direction when they should be opposite. can anyone help? thanks!
Old 03-04-2003, 05:55 AM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Elevons

This radio is way overkill for a Zagi.

You didn't indicate if you had an Acro card or not, however (generally):

Turn the Spoiron function off (i.e.; in the SW menu).

Go the the SW menu and turn BMix 1 "ON" do not assign a switch.

Go to the B-Mix Menu and assign B-Mix 1 CH A = AIL and CH B = EL

Go to the REV menu and set the aileron channel and elevator channel to the correct directions for your installation.

Go To the EPA menu and set the end points - make sure you set the EPA's in all stick directions, up/dwn & left/right.

Go to the D/R menu and set dual rates as desired for each direction of the stick. Same for EXP/VTR (expo). Assign D/R sitches in the SW menu. There are 4 D/R's, make sure your switches match your settings.

If you have an Acro card set the gains in the B-Mix to be equal to each other at around 75% to 100%.

Try it and adjust to suit.

Oops, servos plug into El and Ail channels ( 2 & 3).
Old 03-05-2003, 12:19 AM
bobcheese

thanks a lot!
im running my remote without the card right now.
does anyone know how to change anything on channel 1?
is there any way to get more speed? i have my motor in channel 1. so i was wondering if i could do anything with that.
thanks
Old 03-05-2003, 02:03 AM
Thud_Driver

Default Throttle

Set EPA for throttle to 150% for both low and max throttle. That will provide the full pulse width range to the ESC.
Old 03-05-2003, 06:50 PM
rusgmil

Yahoo Groups has a site called "Airtronics User Group". They can also answer your questions
Old 03-05-2003, 07:10 PM
bobcheese

thanks! the only other question i have is why is it that if i put both the bi mixes on the same aileron and elevon mixing do the servos move farther than normal
Old 03-05-2003, 07:30 PM
Thud_Driver

Default Throws

For elevons you only need to use one of the B-MIX mixers that are available to provide the correct output mix to the two servo's. No other mixing functions need to be turned on unless you are trying to add a flap/spoiler function.

What you are seeing is the sum of the mixing. If you command full aileron, for example, which will put both the servo's to their normal max throw, and then add up or down elevator, the servo's have to move farther to give you that additional surface movement.

If the throws are too extreme, you limit them by adjusting the EPA settings to lower percentages in all directions (ail L & R, elev up & dwn). You could also set the dual rates to limit the max throw in each direction for ail or elev. There is a mechanical option to move the control rods to inner holes on the servo arm and outer holes on the surface horns.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:29 AM
bobcheese

hey i got everything working but i think the reciever is taking too much power. the engine keeps shutting off as soon as i try to move the elevons. is there any way to fix this? i even tried to limit the engine throttle when i flew but the engine just turns off. is there any way i could fix it? im using a 20 amp speed controller. do i need a better one?
Old 03-06-2003, 02:44 AM
Thud_Driver

Default Engine off

Is the receiver powered by its own battery, or is it, more likely, powered by a BEC (battery eliminator circuit) from the ESC?

Powered by BEC: likely problem is BEC isn't providing enough current to RX & servos. Check by hooking up separate batteries for the RX and see if problem is fixed. If fixed you need a better ESC with a better BEC. If not, try this next:

If powered by separate battery: Go to the SERVO menu and see if the throttle percentage changes when you move the ail/elev stick. That is, 1: should remain the same while 2: & 3: percentages follow the stick. If the throttle changes with ail/elev stick you have some weird mix active. Maybe you're using a Heli or Sailplane template instead of an Aero template. Else go make sure every C-MIX is off and all other mixes are off.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:18 AM
Lynx

The servo's aren't powered through the BEC, those go raw to the battery.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:12 AM
bobcheese

no i dont have any weird mix active i dont think. the only thing i changed in the zagi was the reciever. could it be cause it is pcm modulation? does that take more power? in order to fly i have to limit the throttle to 20 percent or the motor cuts off when i move the servos. it is the stock esc that normally works before i tried to use the stylus
Old 03-07-2003, 09:09 PM
Thud_Driver

Default Puzzled

The only thing about PCM modulation that affects this is it allows use of the fail safe function and that's unlikely here. But you could inhibit it just to be sure.

If we presume the receiver & servos have their own battery and the ESC/motor has its own battery (as Lynx implies; there are two batteries in the plane right???), then it certainly sounds like there's a mix active which affects the throttle. You have the ESC plugged into RX channel 1 and that's the only connection to the propulsion system, right??

I also just remembered, that without the ACRO card, you don't have the SERVO menu item which would immediately reveal whether a TX setting is the culprit.

Don't know what to suggest otherwise. With two batteries, power draw on the RX battery shouldn't affect the motor and it should follow the throttle stick only. The only other thing I can think of is the ESC probably has a pulse width range it responds to for low thru max throttle. Maybe the instructions tell what this is and how to match the TX to the ESC. Can't help much without seeing it now.
Old 03-07-2003, 10:36 PM
bobcheese

no there is no reciever battery. that would make the plane too heavy. the battery is plugged into hte esc and the esc in in channel 1 with the motor in the esc
Old 03-07-2003, 11:56 PM
Thud_Driver

Default ESC

Well, I guess that points us back to the ESC then.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:04 PM
bobcheese

hey im looking into some other planes and i am in need of a 5 channel reciever. what reciever will work with my airtronics stylus? do i need another high end pcm reciever? or will a cheap 555 hitec reciever work. thanks
Old 03-12-2003, 02:47 AM
Thud_Driver

Default Cheap Rx

Any FM PPM receiver will work. You can select the shift. Go to the MOD menu, then select what you want: PPM = Airtronics/JR type, PPM INV = Futaba/Hitec type, PCM = Airtronics 92185 Rx only
Old 03-12-2003, 04:10 AM
bobcheese

wow thats awesome!
thanks a lot!