Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba radio question from a rookie

Old 03-06-2003, 02:12 AM
braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba radio question from a rookie

Hi folks,
I was wondering if radios are like receivers in that they are only good for a certaion range of channels. I'm asking because a friend gave me a T6XAs transmitter sans receiver. When he had the radio it operated on channel 36. Does this mean I will have to use a "high band" receiver, or can I use a "low band" receiver and and just put in the appropriate crystals?

Thanks for any input guys,
-Chris
Old 03-06-2003, 02:49 AM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris,
You could get away with using low band receivers, but be sure to check the range before you fly. I have used low band on 36 and 37 with no noticeable problems.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:47 AM
strato911

That depends upon the manufacturer. Futaba center tunes their receivers for high or low band. Hitec center tunes their receivers for the full band. I don't know about the rest of the manufacturers. There are several "third party" receivers compatible with Futaba transmitters. When you order it, just specify the channel you want (ch36 in your case). Using a "high band" crystal in a "low band" receiver CAN dramatically effect your reception range.

Flyfalcons - you probably got away with it since ch36 is very close to the switch between high & low band (ch35 I think).

Also, don't forget that you need to use the same brand of crystal as the unit it is plugged into (eg. Futaba TX w/ Futaba crystal, Hitec Rx w/ Hitec crystal).
Old 03-06-2003, 04:29 AM
braap

Thanks for the responses guys, but I guess I should have made my question a little clearer. I understand that any channel 35 and below requires a low band rx and that any channel 36 and above requires a high band rx. I was just wondering if the trasmitter istelf is also a high or low band...or will any transmitter work with all channels?

Sorry for the confusion guys,
-Chris
Old 03-06-2003, 04:30 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

What Strato said is correct. If I were you, I'd stick with a high band RX if you buy a Futaba brand. A Hitec doesn't come high or low. It works with all frequencies. Just order the crystal to match your radio. Just make sure you order a Futaba compatible RX if you go that route. FYI, I have a Hitec Supreme that I use with my Futaba 9C. No problems.

Reading back on your post, you asked about putting in the appropriate crystal(S)... as in plural. I don't know if your radio has a removable module or TX crystal, but if so, I see no reason why you couldn't change it (watch out for the FCC) and match it to any RX. People do this with the 9C and it's removable modules all the time.

BUT remember, people also spend a lot of time trying to work around something when it would be a lot easier to "play by the rules", as it were. It's not worth losing a plane over.

Mike
Old 03-06-2003, 04:34 AM
MHawker

We posted about the same time so I didn't see your last post. TX's do not have a "high or low band". They are controlled by whatever crystal or module is in them. You'll have to check on your radio to see if you can change it.

For instance, on the 9C with it's removable modules, I could fly a plane on channel 11 or 50 just by changing the module to match the RX in the plane. It is legal to do this with the 9C, because it has a removable module. It is not legal to do with every TX.

Mike
Old 03-06-2003, 04:35 AM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Be careful...

I'm not familiar with that particular Futaba radio but, if it has modules, meaning a small box that is removed and a different one put in to change channels you're ok. If you are physically removing a crystal to change the channel on the transmitter, this is not allowed by the FCC unless you are licensed to do so.

Changing channels (crystals) on receivers is ok. Changing crystals on a transmitter is not.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:45 AM
strato911

Chris - if your friend gave you the transmitter without the crystal, you'll have to get another FOR THE ORIGINAL CHANNEL. You can't legally change the channel of this transmitter without sending it to an authorized service center for re-tuning.

Jim - or anyone wanting to compare features of Futaba's radios:
http://www.futabarc.com/radios/feature-compare.html
Old 03-07-2003, 04:54 PM
rplumbo
My Feedback: (3)

Let's say that I plugged in a low band crystal to a high band receiver and used a low band transmitter. Let's also say that I range checked it on the ground and found all to be normal. Now that I've range checked it, could I expect that range from now on? Or would this be cause for some sort of variance?

Thanks!
Reid
Old 03-07-2003, 05:23 PM
MHawker

Ok, first off, there is no such thing as a "high band or low band" transmitter. Only Futaba receiver's are classified as "low or high".

That said, using a low band crystal in a high band receiver is not recommended. I imagine that if you used a channel 34 crystal (upper end of "low" band) in a high band receiver, you'd be ok with maybe a small amount of range reduction.

BUT, why are even considering this? Don't try to work around this "high or low band" issue. You are risking too many things considering the availability of either RX is plentiful. You are not only putting your plane at risk, but also other people places and things.

End of sermon.

Mike
Old 03-07-2003, 05:53 PM
strato911

Originally posted by MHawker
You are risking too many things considering the availability of either RX is plentiful. You are not only putting your plane at risk, but also other people places and things.

End of sermon.
Thanks Mike, for a sermon which far to many people ignore.