Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

just got a bunch of neat RC stuff!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 PM
pywackit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just got a bunch of neat RC stuff!

Hey Guys,

This only happens to some one else right, this time it was me! I'm helping a friend clean out her Dad's house since he's passed on but she gave me all of his RC airplanes and equipment! Now this is old stuff that needed dusting off and I still have to sort all the stuff out but I found a brand new JR crystal still in the bag....can I use this in my JR box that I've been useing for a buddy box? It doesn't have a crystal and I'd like to use it for another plane.

Besides this crystal there's a sullivan starter and field box and two OS engines, a 70 4 stoke and a .25 2 stoke. But there is more even better....A new digipulse charger and radio field case that holds two radios. He also had some fancy JR digital radio that needs the internal battery replaced but that should be cheap...I hope! Then there's the 8 foot wing span cub with flaps! Flaps....I can hardly handle ailerons right now...LOL! There were also two Waco biplanes but they were crashed really bad so they're gone but I did take all the good stuff off them.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:23 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: just got a bunch of neat RC stuff!

ORIGINAL: pywackit

....can I use this in my JR box that I've been useing for a buddy box? It doesn't have a crystal and I'd like to use it for another plane.

Yes, you should be able to, if it is a transmitter crystal, and not a receiver crystal. They are different. Also, if it's not the same channel as the transmitter was originally on, you need to have the transmitter retuned to match the crystal exactly. Otherwise you can cause interference on adjacent channels, and it is also illegal, in the US, to change channels on a transmitter unless you are a licensed tech.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:35 PM
pywackit

Thanks for the info Terry. I'll check to make sure just what crystal it is, transmitter or receiver. I've got another question and this one is just because I don't understand about this electronic stuff.....on the crystal i believe it say's 72 mhz or something like that. I believe that's not the frequency if I'm not wrong?
Old 07-09-2007, 02:56 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

No, that's not the frequency, it's the band. In the US aircraft use 72, 50 & 27 Mhz, surface vehicles use 27 & 75 Mhz
Old 07-09-2007, 03:00 PM
onewasp

Unfortunately it is not legal for you to replace a Tx crystal----not in the USA.

You should send the equipment to the respective factory repair facilities for a check out before attempting to use it.
That will protect you as well as others.

Old 07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IF the crystal says 72.xxx then it IS the actual frequency and you can look up the channel it belongs to. If it is a RX crystal, you still need to determine if it is single of dual conversion type.
Old 07-10-2007, 08:29 AM
pywackit

I looked at it again last night and it turned out to be an RX crystal instead. A single or dual conversion? what??? you lost me on that one Bruce...
Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 AM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Is the crystal in a colored plastic holder? Sort of a "cap" that fits over the top of it? What color is it..
Old 07-10-2007, 10:26 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: pywackit

I looked at it again last night and it turned out to be an RX crystal instead. A single or dual conversion? what??? you lost me on that one Bruce...
This determines what type of RX it will work in, a single or dual conversion type. Of course if it doesn't match your TX freq, who cares?
Old 07-11-2007, 08:55 AM
pywackit

I checked it and it's gray.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:02 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Did you thank your friend? How?