Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

question on 6.0volt reciever battery

Old 03-09-2003, 04:19 AM
scottad
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question on 6.0volt reciever battery

Got a question, I am just setting up my first 6 volt reciever system. I bought a hitec flight pack, I am putting a 1650MAH 6 volt battery in this system. I bought a voltage regualtor for this system, however my regulator seems to be causing some very intermittent glitches. For the time being I have went back to 4.8 volt sytem and all is good so far. I have never flown this set up yet, don't trust it yet. have double checked all wiring... Just so far when that regulator is in their I have the problem.

Is the regualtor neccesary or recommended?????

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Scott
Old 03-09-2003, 11:42 AM
ec121k

Go to the HiTec spacific forum and run it up the flag pole with their guy. Mike Mayberry I think. He'll give you the strsight talk on the potential problem.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:39 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Eliminate the regulator and run the straight 6 volts
Old 03-10-2003, 03:50 AM
Lynx

Wait.. Why would a regulator be causing glitches? If this is the case there's a good chance you have a defective regulator or you're using one that's not rated for the current you're putting through it. How many servo's are you using and what's the rated current for the regulator that you're using? A lot of people will say you don't need a regulator, but it protects the servo's from the high voltage of a fresh nicad pack and helps keep things more 'even' for the entire run of the pack.
Old 03-10-2003, 04:16 AM
scottad

Default UPDATE ON GLITCHES

Hi Lynx:
Well heres an update, since I have been working with it all day I have found some new hints. This problem is so intermittent, You may have the radio on for 1/2 hour no problem and then all of a sudden it goes nuts. I did get it to act up without the regulator on the 4.8 volt system. This is a weird one and at this point I don't trust it. I did find two servo's that werent quite acting right. One has a tick to it (after homing sometimes it glitches up) really quick just about a fraction of an inch and then returns to proper position, the other would wave back at you, when deflected fully it would move up and down about a mm very slowly and would not stop until you let it return to home.

I have changed out one of the servo's but need to go to my LHS to get another for the 2nd. You can always tell when it's going to go into one of it's fits. all the servos' will start humming a little and then they just go nuts moving every all directions and don't stop until change positions.
I have no clue what's going on. I'm setting this up on my pool table downstairs, can walking on carpet put static in your radio and cuase problems?

At this point I will probably change out the one servo that has a tick to it, and probably put this reciever in a less expensive plane.
Thanks
Scott
BTW I havent got it to do it yet since that servo is unplugged right now, but that's not abnormal it is extremely intermittent.
Old 03-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Would you be using a Futaba receiver with Hitec servos? I have read on RCU that the command signal that futaba receivers sends to the servos is slightly smaller than most other receivers. This could aggravate your problem.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:06 PM
scottad

Default futaba reciever

To start with I had a hitech reciever with all hitech servo's. however with all these intermittent problems, However last night I finally decided I don't trust that particular hitech reciever, so I put it in a less expensive plane and put my futaba reciever in this plane havent had a chance to test it out yet.
Thanks for your reply,
Scott

I am beginning to wonder if it's something in my basement, as soon as the wind gets below 40 MPH around here i'll get it outside for some more checks.