Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Old 03-12-2003, 01:06 AM
  #1  
salmon
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (114)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

My rubber duckie antenna is been working great with my glow power planes , but mine Laser 200 with a 3W 75 is almost ready and before I fly it, I would like to know if any of you guys is flying gas power planes with this antenna,
THANKS.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:22 AM
  #2  
Forgues Research
Senior Member
My Feedback: (7)
 
Forgues Research's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Glen Robertson, ON, CANADA
Posts: 3,453
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by salmon
My rubber duckie antenna is been working great with my glow power planes , but mine Laser 200 with a 3W 75 is almost ready and before I fly it, I would like to know if any of you guys is flying gas power planes with this antenna,
THANKS.
I have been using the Smiley rubber duckey antena with my gassers without any problem.
Old 03-12-2003, 03:05 AM
  #3  
salmon
Thread Starter
My Feedback: (114)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Mooresville, NC
Posts: 363
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks

GREAT!!!
Thanks Roger.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:19 PM
  #4  
SMALLFLY-
Senior Member
My Feedback: (19)
 
SMALLFLY-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 2,156
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

I have 2 gassers with the smiley, no problems at all
Old 03-12-2003, 11:40 PM
  #5  
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: concord, NC
Posts: 1,222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Rubber ducky????

Wasn't that a song?
Old 03-12-2003, 11:52 PM
  #6  
Forgues Research
Senior Member
My Feedback: (7)
 
Forgues Research's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Glen Robertson, ON, CANADA
Posts: 3,453
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by Kris^
Rubber ducky????

Wasn't that a song?
I don't know, but it could have been

Hey Kris,
Check this out for true redundency. and after you have seen it, be gentle
redundent
Old 03-13-2003, 12:54 AM
  #7  
amcross
Senior Member
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Tuscola, IL
Posts: 2,636
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Note, in the US, unless your "rubber ducky" is produced by or certified with the transmitter by the manufacturer, it is against FCC regulation to use and is voiding your AMA insurance as well as your club/site's insurance if any.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:16 AM
  #8  
Forgues Research
Senior Member
My Feedback: (7)
 
Forgues Research's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Glen Robertson, ON, CANADA
Posts: 3,453
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by amcross
Note, in the US, unless your "rubber ducky" is produced by or certified with the transmitter by the manufacturer, it is against FCC regulation to use and is voiding your AMA insurance as well as your club/site's insurance if any.

Hey AM, that is some signature you have.
Nice to see you hear again. I knew you would miss us all
Old 03-13-2003, 01:21 AM
  #9  
amcross
Senior Member
My Feedback: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Tuscola, IL
Posts: 2,636
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

hehehe, thanks roger! :-)

i get by now and then. right now am working avidly on a pc project that i can't keep focused on, and RCU is a great excuse to be distracted! heeheheheh
Old 03-13-2003, 01:48 AM
  #10  
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: concord, NC
Posts: 1,222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Redundancy . .hmmm. . well. . yes, it IS redundant. hmmmm.. well. . .it's redundant. . . . yeah, that's it. . .redundant. . . hmmmmmmmmit's redundant all right. . . . lots of redundancy there for sure. . . .uh UEAP. .it's definitely redundnt. . . .



So, Roger, how far do we go before we go TOO far?

I have a FC330LX, the small one. Hitec servos and a single Airtronics receiver. Two batteries, two switches, and servos up in the motorbox next to the ignition and its battery and run all the power through an external buss-bar setup for both + and - polarities.

With 4300 ma total battery capacity on board, and either pack capable of flying the plane for 6-7 flights all by itself, I think I have the bases pretty much covered.

but, being redundant never hurts.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:53 AM
  #11  
Forgues Research
Senior Member
My Feedback: (7)
 
Forgues Research's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Glen Robertson, ON, CANADA
Posts: 3,453
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by Kris^
Redundancy . .hmmm. . well. . yes, it IS redundant. hmmmm.. well. . .it's redundant. . . . yeah, that's it. . .redundant. . . hmmmmmmmmit's redundant all right. . . . lots of redundancy there for sure. . . .uh UEAP. .it's definitely redundnt. . . .



So, Roger, how far do we go before we go TOO far?

I have a FC330LX, the small one. Hitec servos and a single Airtronics receiver. Two batteries, two switches, and servos up in the motorbox next to the ignition and its battery and run all the power through an external buss-bar setup for both + and - polarities.

With 4300 ma total battery capacity on board, and either pack capable of flying the plane for 6-7 flights all by itself, I think I have the bases pretty much covered.

but, being redundant never hurts.

Well, can't argue with you on that, how far do we go.

Since so many people were so adamant in using two receivers, and having only half the airplane controlled by one receiver, is a fall sense of security for me and since I allready use the ultimate in glitch free servo extensions, it was a natural to redesign the decoder to give you full control even with the lost of one receiver.

That's why I did it.
Old 03-13-2003, 01:55 AM
  #12  
Kris^
Banned
My Feedback: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: concord, NC
Posts: 1,222
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

hey roger. . an idea to throw your way. . a single unit to handle all servos and batteries, just plug and play. Have enough connections for 16 servos out, 8 inputs, 4 distinct batteries and dual power switches with 20 amp rated DPDT switches, and enough currrent capacity to handle 3 digitals on each output channel. Plug in as many receivers as you like and give it an on-board 6.0vdc regulator circuit along with discrete monitoring and charging jacks/pigtails for each battery pack as well as digital voltage readouts for each battery input channel,.

Just an idea.

BTW. .the "Super secret" servo idea is on hold, so I'll throw THAT your way too. .

Take the output to the motor on ONE servo, and use it as a reference for operating op-amps in a slave circuit to power the motors in it's companion servos. No amps, pots or drive circuits in the "slaves", just motor and gears. that way, they would NEVER fight eachother, but work as a unit, each servo applying power as quickly as the "Master" in the train of servos, and ONLY when that servo applied power.

Just an idea.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:00 AM
  #13  
strato911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 1,479
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by aerografixs
Check this out for true redundency. and after you have seen it, be gentle
Please excuse my ignorance, but how does the decoder respond if it receives 2 differing signals from the 2 receivers (ie. one is glitching / position hold / failsafe)?
Old 03-13-2003, 02:01 AM
  #14  
Forgues Research
Senior Member
My Feedback: (7)
 
Forgues Research's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Glen Robertson, ON, CANADA
Posts: 3,453
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by Kris^
hey roger. . an idea to throw your way. . a single unit to handle all servos and batteries, just plug and play. Have enough connections for 16 servos out, 8 inputs, 4 distinct batteries and dual power switches with 20 amp rated DPDT switches, and enough currrent capacity to handle 3 digitals on each output channel. Plug in as many receivers as you like and give it an on-board 6.0vdc regulator circuit along with discrete monitoring and charging jacks/pigtails for each battery pack as well as digital voltage readouts for each battery input channel,.

Wow, I'm exhausted, what is it??
Just an idea.

BTW. .the "Super secret" servo idea is on hold, so I'll throw THAT your way too. .

Take the output to the motor on ONE servo, and use it as a reference for operating op-amps in a slave circuit to power the motors in it's companion servos. No amps, pots or drive circuits in the "slaves", just motor and gears. that way, they would NEVER fight eachother, but work as a unit, each servo applying power as quickly as the "Master" in the train of servos, and ONLY when that servo applied power.

Just an idea.
The idea might work, but I'm just wondering if it is worth the effort
I have been asked more then once to make a multiplexer for the fiber Optic servo extension. The answer is no, the price would be so high that know one would want to buy it. Also it would defeat the purpose of having individual extensions.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:07 AM
  #15  
Forgues Research
Senior Member
My Feedback: (7)
 
Forgues Research's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Glen Robertson, ON, CANADA
Posts: 3,453
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by strato911
Please excuse my ignorance, but how does the decoder respond if it receives 2 differing signals from the 2 receivers (ie. one is glitching / position hold / failsafe)?
In a two receiver system, very rare you would get one receiver glitching while the other does not.

All this said, I have bench checked it and had one receiver go into hold. The servo was glitchy to say the least, but I still had control.

without this, only the servos on that reciever would go hairy. If one receiver goes into hold, try and land this sucker with the other receiver.

One further, try and land a large warbird (heavy) with these conditions
Old 03-13-2003, 02:17 AM
  #16  
strato911
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: West Jordan, UT
Posts: 1,479
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by aerografixs
In a two receiver system, very rare you would get one receiver glitching while the other does not.
Assuming the builder is smart enough to route the antennas so that they don't come close to sources of interference... I was just trying to cover all possibilities, but it sounds like you already have.
Old 03-13-2003, 02:24 AM
  #17  
Forgues Research
Senior Member
My Feedback: (7)
 
Forgues Research's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Glen Robertson, ON, CANADA
Posts: 3,453
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rubber duck antenna and electronic ingnition engines

Originally posted by strato911
Assuming the builder is smart enough to route the antennas so that they don't come close to sources of interference... I was just trying to cover all possibilities, but it sounds like you already have.
You know Dennis,
I have been involved with this Fiber Optic extensions for about 15 years and I have covered a lot of bases, but I don't have all the answers, since Murphy (Murphy's law) is allways lurking around.
So with discusions like these and questions like yours, helps make a better product.

Like all the other things I offer, I make them first for myself and if anyone else likes them, all the better.
This redundent will not be offered to anyone until I have completely flight tested it and completely happy with it.

The test plane will have a control to switch off one of the receivers in flight and back on again.

I now supply two military contractors for UAV's with the Fiber Optic extensions and they have shown interest in this new item, but they to will have to wait. By the way not cheap.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.