Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Did I just blow it?....

Old 03-12-2003, 02:39 AM
warthog44

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just blow it?....

I just bought a used plane that came with I think a hitech switch and charging jack. I was told I could adapt it to a futaba reciever, all I had to do was shave the tab off and slide the connectors on.

Anyway I immediately smelled something burning and nothing worked. Did I goof?
Old 03-12-2003, 03:18 AM
warthog44

Default Please help someone.....

I am out here waiting on an answer.....

Is there a way to burn up a reciever by hooking up a hitec/airtronics switch to a futaba reciever
Old 03-12-2003, 03:40 AM
vinnie
My Feedback: (1)

Warthog,
without a voltmeter, with the tab removed you must observe the color code when making connections. That is black wire to black wire and red to red across connections. It is possible that you have damaged the receiver. You might try again observing the correct color to color connections and see what happens. If it is damaged I don't think you can do any more harm.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:44 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Yup, sounds like you plugged the battery in backwards. The burning smell was probably the battery. I've done this exact same thing and the battery started getting REALLY hot. I caught it very quick and no damage.

But, since you smelled something burning, smell the battery and RX and see which one smells "burnt". Replace both if necessary.

Mike
Old 03-12-2003, 06:49 AM
MHawker

Also, no offense, but give people more than 30 minutes to get you an answer before you write back about "waiting".

Mike
Old 03-12-2003, 03:05 PM
warthog44

Default Sorry dude....

I was excited about flying and thought there might be a quick solution. I wasn't mad..... just pumped about flying.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:19 PM
MHawker

No problem. 30 minutes seems like an eternity when you're waiting to go throw the sticks around.

Have you tested another battery yet?

Mike
Old 03-12-2003, 08:08 PM
warthog44

Default Dude....you are going to call me crazy....

but I have tested the xtal and reciever and battery. The battery was ok, the reciever didn't work and the xtal didn't work. The wierd thing is I was testing it on a working system and when I replaced the original xtal after testing the bad one the good reciever didn't work. I called Tower Hobbies tech people and they said to just send in the new reciever and xtal and they would replace it but they wouldn't do anything for the one that I burnt up while testing. And keep in mind I was doing all of this testing while I was on the phone following directions from them. I was just doing what the chick told me to do and I smoked a good reciever?

Anyway, I have talked to several people who have said there is no way an xtal can fry a reciever but all I can say is that it worked.... I tested the bad xtal..... I replace it with the good one.... it no longer worked and I smelled something burning.
Old 03-12-2003, 10:26 PM
MHawker

Very weird. I've got a friend who knows quite a bit about RF stuff. I'll ask him about the xtal possibly causing this problem.

Any chance you did anything with the battery and don't remember? You know, like unplug the battery, change the xtal and plug the battery back in? But maybe it went in backwards?

Just brainstorming....

Mike
Old 03-13-2003, 01:41 AM
warthog44

Default It went from....

fully operational to kaput.....