Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

14MZ warning!

Old 08-01-2007, 07:44 PM
DCGayhart
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14MZ warning!

I noticed the sticky for the 14MZ 5014 RX has been deleted from the Futaba support forum. Does this mean that all the problems with the first G-3 rec’s have been resolved or has a replacement for the defective early rx’s prompted Futaba to sweep the past under the rug?. I still hear of fellow 14MZ owners loosing planes to lock-outs.

I would post this in the Futaba support forum but there mods usually delete all my posts.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:54 PM
d_wheel

Default RE: 14MZ warning!

ORIGINAL: DCGayhart

I still hear of fellow 14MZ owners loosing planes to lock-outs.
Do you have a link to all of these lock-outs you know about? I would like to read about them.

Later;

D.W.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:09 AM
Hirobofly

Hi there.
Pehaps the sticky was removed because the 5014RX is expired? I think it is replaced by the 5114, that supports the A- and B-type of G3 modulation.
-The 5014 with it's issues then are just a part of the history.........

RJ
Old 08-02-2007, 08:00 AM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: Hirobofly

-The 5014 with it's issues then are just a part of the history.........

RJ
And yet there are thousands in use with no problems at all....

Later;

D.W.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:40 AM
DCGayhart

Mine worked fine too, until it drilled my $4000 airplane into the earth. Two trips back to Futaba service center were fruitless. Keep using the old 5014’s and cross your fingers. Futaba dumped the design what does that tell you?

I do not have links to all the 5014 troubles but I read a post yesterday of a modeler who lost a $15000 jet to his 14, he was in one of the 2.4GZH forums.
Old 08-02-2007, 10:51 AM
davewallace
My Feedback: (29)

DC,
Here is a thread that addresses many flyers experiences with the receiver.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3860339

Dave
Old 08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
d_wheel

ORIGINAL: davewallace

DC,
Here is a thread that addresses many flyers experiences with the receiver.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_38...tm.htm#3860339

Dave
Didn't see anything there that would make me worry about it. Any more to look at?

Later;

D.W.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:38 AM
d_wheel

I read a post yesterday of a modeler who lost a $15000 jet to his 14, he was in one of the 2.4GZH forums.
The 14mz isn't available in 2.4ghz yet. Would have to be a sponsored pilot with one of the unreleased modules, or a Spektrum module. Need a link!!!

D.W.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:40 AM
onewasp

[/quote]

And yet there are thousands in use with no problems at all....

Later;

D.W.

[/quote]

"Some' I would buy -------- thousands-----I doubt it.
Too many complaints right from the beginning.
Old 08-02-2007, 03:06 PM
d_wheel

onewasp

"Some' I would buy -------- thousands-----I doubt it.
Too many complaints right from the beginning.

Later;

D.W.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:16 PM
avsjr

There are 4 12Z's in my club using the 5014 (including myself) with absolutely no problems...

Andy S.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:06 AM
tkilwein

My 14mz has worked flawlessy with no issues or glitches, fly foamies to 70% with it.
Using the 5014,149,127 and the syn old and new 3xx.
Over 12 planes and no complaints.
I hope to get 12+ years of service same as I did from my old 9z, now retired as a trainer and backup.
My 9z has over 9600 hours of on-flight time per the built in timer.

My serial number is in the high 6xxx range, so depending on the starting number there could be thousands out there.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Silent-AV8R

My serial number is around 1050. I got mine in March of 05. Working flawlessly in everything I've flown it in. I have 4 of the 5014 RXs. Not a single problem with any of them.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:08 PM
xcellheli
My Feedback: (1)

My Father and I both purchased 14mz's in the first batch. He has one 5014 in a 100cc plane, and I have 2 5014's, in a 100cc plane and a 50cc plane. None of them have had a single glitch. Two of them have the full antennas. Upgraded from a 9Z, 14mz is the best radio I have ever owned.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:17 AM
DCGayhart

http://www.flyinggiants.com/forums/f...tml#post278008

RCU won't let me link this forum so i'll copy the post

I had been watching the XPS site and was only going that route if Futaba didn't come through in Toledo. I purchased two XPS setups from Jim in Toledo because at the time you couldn't purchase additional receivers seperately. Let my give you a quick explination on how this all came about. I sold my Raptor 50 and purchased a Fury Tempest 3-D and installed the same 14MZ receiver that I was using in my Raptor in my Fury. I couldn't get off the ground without getting hits or lockouts. I spent many hours along with three additional people one being a minature pilot and could not resolve the issue. I got home from Toledo and installed the module in my 9303 and put one of the ten channel receivers in my Fury, and knock on wood I have run a gallon a day through my heli almost every Sunday for the entire summer and have not had one issue. I have even let some of my Snergy / 14MZ friends fly my Fury with the 9303/XPS setup and they were impressed by the connectivity they felt. Not saying anything negative about the 9303 but it was slow to respond compared to the 14MZ, but now with the XPS module installed it is a whole new animal. Sorry to say my 14MZ hasn't been out of the box since XPS came home. I have sent my system back into Jim only to get the latest module with dual antennas and to get the latest firmware install done. I have been a diehard Futaba man but if they don't speed up production, I will have to put XPS on my 14MZ if Jim releases his before Futaba releases theirs. Packing this weekend and heading to IRCHA looking forward to having a fun filled week with no thoughts of interference on my mind. XPS ROCKS!!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:25 AM
DCGayhart

First post in thread.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6171023/tm.htm

Old 08-04-2007, 10:28 AM
DCGayhart

First post on thread.

http://helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=41015
Old 08-04-2007, 02:14 PM
d_wheel

Is that all you've got? I thought we had something going here but nothing I read was conclusive. What did I miss?

Later;

D.W.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Silent-AV8R

He's got an axe to grind. He lost a plane, maybe it was the 14MZ, maybe not. Regardless, he is convinced that it was. Even if it was, it was an isolated incident as opposed to the widespread flawed design and engineering errors that he wants you to believe. But from that point on he has taken it upon himself to be the savior of all modelers from the evil 14MZ. It get old after awhile.

I flew my 14MZ equipped heli today. Worked fine. Just like always. Tomorrow I will be flying my 14MZ equipped gliders (carbon-kevlar-glass) at high altitudes and extreme range. Again, I anticipate no problems, just like always.

The point is that despite the fact that perhaps some people having had problems, the vast majority have not. The 14MZ has been proven to be a solid design and to offer features that no other radio has.

Oh well.
Old 08-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Hirobofly

Hi.
The 14MZ is a rock solid radio, and the majority of owners will have no problems with it or the receiver. But as it is for all kinds of electronics; there will always be someone that has a problem with it. (Murphy's Law...)

Same goes for the fact that there will always be crashes and mishaps that cannot be explained or no obvious cause for the crash can be found. -It is always nice then to blame the electronics, but as long as the problem/cause cannot be found and reproduced it is just speculations.

When people ask me if I'm not afraid that the model I fly is going to crash, I answer them that if I really was that afraid I would leave the model at home and find another hobby. This does not mean that I do not care, but I have accepted the risks involved, and do what is within my control to keep it safe and continue flying.

Happy flying.

RJ
Old 08-04-2007, 07:14 PM
DCGayhart

You bet I have an axe to grind. This was without a doubt the worst customer service experience in my life. They had my radio in for service and they shipped it to the wrong return address; I had to threaten them to get it resolved. When I did get my 14MZ back the said there was no problem found, no explanation as to what they checked and no expression of sympathy for my losses.

I loss thousands of dollars worth of model aircraft to a problem which Futaba finally addressed six months later, the “cut your RX’s antenna if you have problems”. Team Futaba members I know personally confided in me that they knew of the problem but were avoiding it by using older RX’s in their contest models.

I’ve been involved with many facets of the RC hobby for 30+ years. I worked in the electronic industry for 30 years; I know equipment failure from user error. Futaba now brings out a new improved version of the 5014 and all references to the older RX’s are removed from the RCU support forum. This is a disservice to modelers who may purchase a used radio down the road.
Old 08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Silent-AV8R

You bet I have an axe to grind. This was without a doubt the worst customer service experience in my life.
Fine. But it is silly that you want to make it seem as if EVERY system has had the same problems you did and that EVERY customer will have a bad experience.

Team Futaba members I know personally confided in me that they knew of the problem but were avoiding it by using older RX’s in their contest models.
Well, I am also a Team Futaba member and I was not aware of this problem that you say others knew all about. Plus I know a whole bunch of other Team members who used and still use the 5014 RX, and many, like myself without cutting the antenna.

I’ve been involved with many facets of the RC hobby for 30+ years. I worked in the electronic industry for 30 years;
Good for you. I've been a modeler for 41 years. A licensed amateur radio operator for 15 years. I worked for Proline back in the day and on and on. Are we done measuring ourselves??

You had what you feel was a negative experience that did not live up to your expectations. Fine. But you are totally off base to try to give the impression that this was a widespread flaw that effected most systems and that everyone will have the same service experience that you did.

But I am sure that everyone is happy that you have taken it upon yourself to protect the hobby from the evil 14MZ. BTW - 5 flights today on mine with nary a worry.

YMMV
Old 08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
tkilwein

I like the 5014's I have!, have the long antennas.

I was helping a student fly with my trainer setup and plane, in the hast to mix his radio into my 14MZ I left the antenna with only 2 section total out.
This is not normal for me, first time for everything.

We went flying, the electric powered glider plane was up over 1000ft and out that far also.
Never noticed a problem the whole time. I can say my 9Z would never do this. EDIT ( my other TX's in the past would not do this either.)
This goes to show IF YOU HAVE NO NOISE or a little? in your setup the 5014 RX is one hell of a receiver.

I have had Cirrus, JR 10x, galaxy8, futaba 4??, 6xh, 9ZHPS and finally the 14MZ. They are all prone to issues
if you have problems with the RX setup and enviroment.

This plane has a PJS1500 with a CC80HV, 6cell lipo 3300mah and draws 80-86 amps full out. Custom heatsink on motor.
It goes straight up to the clouds in seconds. NO BULL $#it here.
The 5014 RX and CC80HV speed controller are ~4inchs apart. I have over 40+ hours of flying time to date on the above
mentioned RX with no problems, and none with the other or my old 149's, 127, 3XX SYN RX's.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Silent-AV8R

Of course you are lying. EVERYBODY knows that the 14MZ is a POS. Lucky you did not need to get it serviced either. That would be an even bigger nightmare!!! [&:]
Old 08-05-2007, 02:26 AM
flyfishinggo2

I have a WHY question:
My 9 CAP has an antenna lenght of 37 inches, running on 72 Meg, I also have a new 14 MZ with 5114 receiver on 72 meg and its antenna lenght is 21 inches. Antenna lenght is dependent on the frequence used, one would think that the antenna lenght on both receivers running on the same frequence should be the same. Antenna lenght reduction was one of the fixes by Futaba for the lock up issues on the old 5014 receiver. Is there still a lock up issue with the new receiver?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.