Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A few radio Qs' from a beginner

Old 03-12-2003, 01:25 PM
gav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few radio Qs' from a beginner

Hi all, i've just managed to stumble on this gem of a board at just the right time - time to ask a few questions about my r/c gear

I had a t-hawk 3 channel plane (modded to allow variable throttle), but it seemed to not like me putting it into high G loops and the wings continued to fold themselves over, no matter how much strengthening i put on them so I ripped the guts out of it and transfered them to a firebat which, after frying the ESC (replaced with a 30A one that directly plugs onto the back of the motor) still wouldn't fly for all the well known reasons, so I converted to the gws-300 gearbox and 9x6 prop for it's final flight (gulp) which, after an awesome takeoff and circuit , totalled itself after approx 15 seconds through via putting itself in a dive from about 50m this is possibly from either

: the aerial not being a perfect connection or length after numerous breaks and resolders (kept snapping when the plane did!)
: the elevon servo going haywire ( has seized and constantly making annoying grating noises - was fine on preflight test )
: a few flights before (the firebat was managing to get around a low altitude circuit ok) it seemed to go nuts after a while of flying, but I put this down to the area I was flying in at the time (mobile phone tower close) - but I shifted to another oval for its' final flight - maybe the RX has gremlins

Well, end result .....1 plane in 100000 bits and alot of options....

Anyways, time for the questions....please bear in mind this is only a budget hobby for me (read tightass) and i'm feeling my way in the dark when it comes to r/c equipment

1. Would the fact that I am running an 8 cell 1000maH pack through the receiver cause the servo to fry or the RX to sporadically throw the plane into fits of suicidal tendancies? It origionally had a 7 cell 600maH pack
2. I have access to a full size servo - will my RX run this OK if I plug it in? It is a P & C R-103A 2-3 channel Am receiver, running on 27.255MHz (about 1/2 the size of a matchbox)
3. I've been reading on the forum that the average length of an aerial is about 106cm - does it matter what sort of wire it is or can I use any sort lying around at the time

thanks in advance!!!
Old 03-12-2003, 04:58 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

gav, check out www.torreypinesgulls.org/Radios.htm for some good info on radios, how they work, why PWM, PCM or ???. A lot of info there.
Old 03-13-2003, 10:27 AM
gav

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks mate, looking now