Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Mixing Guidelines?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 02:47 PM
Tecstar1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mixing Guidelines?

Can anyone recommend a link or site that provides general guidelines for using mixing as a starting point for a newbie?

Thanks.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:35 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Ron,
None that I know of, but you've got the best source in the world right here...fellow modelers! :-)

tell us what you're trying to do and we'll be happy to help!
Old 03-14-2003, 03:44 PM
Tecstar1
My Feedback: (1)

Since I'm new to a computer radio, 9C, what amounts of mixing go into coordinated turns, set ups for knife edge, landing configurations for elevator input with reduced throttle settings. Starting pints to be sure, as I understand each model is different?

Thanks for your input
Old 03-14-2003, 05:39 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Tec, Unfortunately, as you say, every model is different. When in doubt, start VERY small and work up from there. Coordinated turns? I would start at 5%. Landing mix with reduced throttle? I personally don't like this approach as there is too much risk of causing a stall unintentionally and having to "push" to recover a model is so unnatural to so many modelers, but if you like this approach again I would start at 5%.

Mixing in knife edge will vary from model to model and even individual examples of the same aircraft. This changes drastically based upon CD and control throws, and is also directly changed by wing and canopy placement, angle of the rudder mounting when compared to the fuselage, etc.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:09 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Ron,

You will be a lot better pilot if you do most of these mixing functions yourself. If you cut power, learn how much elevator you want to give it. Aerobatics for the most part are better if you fly all the functions too. Might take some time but it will make lot better pilot out of you. I have a friend that mixes his ail and rudder on his cub. I do it with my hands. Although it is easier with a mixer, I find that I get better results by doing both controls myself. I do like an elevator flap mixer which gives a little down elevator when the flaps come down, but thats about the only mixer I am using right now. When it comes time to do precise maneuvers, you will be glad you learned to use all the functions without mixing all of it. Once you can do it manually, then mix them with the radio if you like, but you will be way ahead to do most of those by yourself.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:16 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ron,
For knife edge mixing (the only mixing I use on my aerobats) I fly passes left to right and right to left and guess about how much elevator I need to hold it straight in each direction. Just repeat this process and you'll eventually get there. Remember, it is nice to do each direction separately, as your plane might need more elevator with right rudder than left rudder etc.