Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Advice On DSM Options

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:37 AM
efish
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On DSM Options

Hi, after having had my plane shot down and routinely encountering modelers who refuse to perform a basic frequency check, I've been sorely tempted to invest in a 2.4 gHz system.

Presently, I have a "mature" JR system based on the XP9303 radio with multiple modules (for different frequencies in use locally) and various associated receivers. The big push for me to go 2.4gHz is for safety as I've recently started flying gas planes and would really rather not risk putting one on top of someone or something, whether or not the fault lies with me.

Near as I can figure I have 3 options:-

1. The Extreme Link 2.4gHz module and 10 channel receiver;
2. The Spektrum 2.4 gHz module and various supported DSM2 receivers; and
3. The JR/Spektrum 2.4 gHz 9303 radio with various supported DSM2 receivers.

One advantage of the Spektrum system is that their receivers are pretty ubiquitous and I'm guessing would be easier to find locally either secondhand or through bargain retailers. There is an apparent dearth of their modules and the JR radio though.

One thing I like about the Extreme Link receiver is that it is neat and compact and does not have the 2 piece look of the Spektrum receivers.

From what I've read, the 2 main concerns I have with module based upgrades is first and foremost, the inherently "slower" latency of the module system as opposed to a dedicated 2.4gHz system and second and less importantly, the loss of various miscellaneous features such as model matching.

I guess the advantage of a module based upgrade is that the same transmitter can be used to with various other lower FM frequencies.

So I guess I'm after some real world advice here with 2 main issues:-

1. Are the limitations of a module based system apparent under real world conditions?; and

2. Is there anythig to choose from between the Extreme Link / Spektrum modules?

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:01 AM
efish

Default RE: Advice On DSM Options

Sorry, I should add that I have seen the comparative table at

http://www.xtremepowersystems.net/

and was just wondering if all the claims are real
Old 08-08-2007, 11:38 AM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

I can't say much about the XTM claims. I can tell you i have used the Spektrum system in my 10X and gas planes since day one without any problems. The module based system has 1024 the same as PCM with is faster then PPM. I have been selling the modules as has fast as they come in the store. I only have one JR with the 9ch and one with the seven ch left and they are on back order again. I have seen all three systems work at our field at the same time with no issues. I have no way of knowing which is "better" I use Spektrum because they were the first on the market and have a good track record with the DX6 and 7. All but one 9303DX is already sold when i get them and I'm sure they go into B/O after the first delievey. If you have a JR radio go with Spektrum module and then decide about the radio later, by then you will have the receivers when you buy the radio. Dennis
Old 08-08-2007, 11:53 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you seem to be including the option of a complete system
3. The JR/Spektrum 2.4 gHz 9303 radio with various supported DSM2 receivers.
Don't forget Futaba has several new systems coming out shortly depending on how many channels you want. Unfortunately they don't have Model Match but I don't think that should be a deal breaker in itself since the module systems you mentioned also don't have that.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I wondered about this same question and was waiting for Futaba to put out some more information on their approach to, and pricing on, the 2.4GHz stuff since I've always used Futaba equipment. After Futaba made that information available, I backordered one of the new X9303 JR radios and got a DX-7 Spektrum to play with until it gets here.

Personally, I've made the decision that a "ground up" or "native" 2.4GHz radio has advantages over any module system. The new JR will operate any of the existing Spektrum rx's where Futaba is already making changes that to some extent, effect the inter-operability of the tx's and exising rx's.

IIRC and I can't find the link right now, the new JR is supposed to have a resolution matching Futaba's 2048?

I didn't consider the XTM stuff much once I decided I wanted a native system.

I've seen guys fly all the stuff you mention and as DadsToysBG said, they all seemed to work without issues.

Any way, since there is so much information out there on the various systems each with their own proponents/opponents and the associated "spinning" to advocate their personal preferences, I think you'll need to just do your own research and then make a decision based on what you think as they all work....
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 AM
efish

Thanks for the interest and your input, guys.

I've been reading what I can on the net and it seems that opinions and experiences do vary quite dramatically.

Dad's Toys - the Spektrum modules aren't available at my LHSs, and ordering one in would cost considerably more than the XTM modules. I take your point, though, and guess one thing against the XTM system is that if I subsequently get a 9303DX, its not gonna work with the XTM receivers.

Bruce - thanks, but I don't think the local Futaba dealer has the higher end 2.4gHz radio systems in yet. Also, their prices tend to be a little steeper compared to other countries in this region.

Zeeb - Although I started with a Futaba radio, I'm very much a JR fan. Can't say I like the feel of the DX7 though. Before the XTM modules became available locally, I had resigned myself to waiting until the 9303DX could be purchased easily at a good price. That's still an option as these days, I tend to avoid other fliers like the plague for fear that someone will turn on their transmitter without the customary frequency check.

Guess this is one decision that will take quite a lot more agonising over.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

ORIGINAL: efish

Thanks for the interest and your input, guys.

<snip>

Zeeb - Although I started with a Futaba radio, I'm very much a JR fan. Can't say I like the feel of the DX7 though. Before the XTM modules became available locally, I had resigned myself to waiting until the 9303DX could be purchased easily at a good price. That's still an option as these days, I tend to avoid other fliers like the plague for fear that someone will turn on their transmitter without the customary frequency check.

Guess this is one decision that will take quite a lot more agonising over.
I did the same thing as I've been a Futaba user since I started. I agree that the DX-7 doesn't have the same "feel' and I had to get the adapter thing for the neckstrap in order to get it to balance with the short antenna, it looks like the X9303 is going to need one as well. I played a bit with handling a buddies XP9303 and it does feel more like a radio, so I feel a bit better about that now.

On the whole, I am quite pleased with the control response of the DX-7, the faster or "more connected" feel guys talk about is apparent. I've not used that radio on my gassers as it's short a necessary channel for my fiber optic kill switches and I find the lack of programming/mixing options a bit frustrating. But that is also one of the reasons I got the radio as the JR programming is different than the way Futaba does things and that's turned out to be a good decision as I've had my share of foul ups playing with it's programming.

So it is a good radio and others I fly with use the DX-7 on their gassers, I'm just having a bit of a difficult time adapting to the changes from the 9ZAP WC2 that I'm used to using, but then it's hard to compare the features of a top end spendy radio to the mid-range Spektrum. I am surprised at how versatile that radio really is when compared to other 7 channel radios tho.....

If you do enough reading, you'll start to get an idea of the overall satisfaction people have with their various choices and be able to pretty much isolate those who will not admit they don't like their choice, or have had bad experiences due to their own mistakes or un-reasonable expectations.

Have fun, I spent months reading/considering before I decided to change and which way to go....
Old 08-13-2007, 03:34 AM
efish

Thanks Zeeb, I had more or less decided to go spektrum a few months back, but realised then that the technology was not mature.

The big push was when I lost a gasser because less responsible fliers decided that they could just turn up and fly their foamies without a frequency check.

I've been reading and I guess I will read some more. One big concern is the few experiences of otherwise apparently experienced and competent fliers, where their DSM failed on maiden flights for no apparent reason.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 PM
TedMo

Although This is not connected to the thread directly I am asking this question since I have spent several hours looking for an answer to this. I have seen you reply often to questions so hope you will give me some info. I am expecting my DX7 this week and will be putting it into several aircraft, replacing the present JR rx.s. From what I have read it sounds to me as though the Spectrum RX's and digital servos are more voltage conscious than others. Therfore my question is should I use 6v. packs rather than the usual 4.8v? My flying is generally with 46/60 size pattern/3d aircraft The only exception is one large gasser that I have always used 6v on long before the Spectrum came along. I kind of assume since they only supply 4.8 packs that is acceptable but also makes me think manufacturers should start provideing what is best for consumer rather than best for their competitive advantage. This of course applies to all products!!!
Old 08-19-2007, 03:52 PM
Patto

TedMo, get yourself a few 6V batteries just to be safe. They are available for about $13 each on ebay, shipped to your door, for 2500mAh cells. Unless you are using micro servos or super-fast helicopter tail rotor servos that specifically say "4.8 Volts only!" there is no reason not to use 6 volts. Your servos will be a little faster and a little stronger.

efish - If I were you and I had $750 to spend, I'd get the new JR system with the 2.4 chip integrated into it. If I had $1200 to spend, I'd get the Futaba 12FG. Either will be fantastic for your purposes and you can plan on never buying another radio ever again as far as I'm concerned. Me? I can't afford any of that these days, so I'm sticking with PCM on 72MHz for awhile. If the receivers and modules were not so expensive, I'd consider some upgrading for my 9C, but it's all too expensive as of right now.

-Pat