Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

extension instead of switch?

Old 08-16-2007, 01:04 PM
plasticmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extension instead of switch?

I'm building a stick type plane powered by a converted Homelite 30cc. I am thinking of using a heavy duty extension plugged into the battery slot of the receiver. When I'm ready to fly, I'll plug the battery into the extension and unplug it after landing. I will have it located so that it’s easy to access. This is so that I don't have to use a switch, because I’ve read so much about switch failure. I’ve done this a lot with smaller glow planes and it has worked well for me. Is there any reason this would not work on this larger gas plane? I’m using a 6V 2000 mah NimH to power the system. Thanks.
Old 08-16-2007, 01:59 PM
Thud_Driver
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: extension instead of switch?

Did that on a jet once after I had BOTH battery switches fail to turn on for a flight. After that, on that plane, I just did what you're doing. I've seen it done elsewhere. Probably more reliable than a switch. If it can flop around a bit, you might want to use one of those plastic keepers on it or tape it every flight.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:56 PM
Red B.

Maybe I have been lucky, but over more than 25 years of R/C flying I have never had a switch failure.
Maybe it is because I always mount the switch inside the fuselage, using a pushrod to actuate it and using rubber grommets just as I do when mounting servos.

For peace of mind you may consider an electronic switch such as the [link=http://www.rc-electronic.com/html/englisch/unten/zubehoer/diverses/diverses.html]Behotec Power Switch[/link].
Old 08-16-2007, 03:29 PM
Bad_Daddy

On my largest sailplane, I mounted a 1/4" stereo jack inline with the RX power supply, such that when the jack is inserted the connection is broken and the RX is dead. The jack has a 12" long red banner hanging from it, so I know if the banner is hanging from my plane, the radio is disconnected.
I once made the mistake of hand-launching a smaller (8') sailplane one day, when I had forgotten to SWITCH my receiver on, and had to hike over 1/4 mile thru the brush and tumbleweeds to get to where it landed, nearly unscathed. I had launched into a ridge of lift, but the feeling of helpless frustration when the model hit a small thermal less than 50 feet from the launch was intolerable!