Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Another Futaba 9CAPs/US40 Question

Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another Futaba 9CAPs/US40 Question

Just finishing setting up my Hangar9 US40 on a Futaba 9CAP Super for it's maiden flight hopefully tomorrow but have a question on throttle kill.

On my Futaba 6XA Super radio with analog trims, I use the low end trim on the throttle to kill the engine. I know my 9CAPs has an idle-down and throttle cut feature I can assign to a switch but... this feature is available only in ACRO mode? I set up my UltraStick 40 using the 9C's GLID2FL-C mode (easier crow and full span ailerons).

With an analog trim wheel I can simply slam (figuratively) the lever all the way down and kill the engine instantly. With the digital trims of the 9C, I hold the throttle trim down and it slowly rachets down one beep at a time.

I suppose one way to do it would be to adjust the TRIM submenu and increase the step value from the default 4 on Ch 3 to a higher value and get the desired result that way.

How are the rest of you with 9C guided UltraSticks getting around this?
Old 08-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Another Futaba 9CAPs/US40 Question

There is a throttle cut feature in the 9C. Program it to the switch of your choice and kill the engine with the flip of a switch.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:42 PM
PipeMajor

The 9C manual states "The glider BASIC menu does not include the IDLE-DOWN or THR-CUT. (p. 67 under GLIDER MODEL FUNCTIONS heading).

That function is available in ACRO but ACRO doesn't give you full span ailerons plus crow is much more difficult. Possibly GLID2FL-C can do everything I want using offsets but I simply don't understand them enough now.

I do have a more basic setup for the US40 in another memory location on the 9C which *is* an ACRO mode. Under this mode I get the 4 basic flight controls plus the flaps work fine. No crow, no full span ailerons.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

You keep digging into things I've not done with mine....[:-]

First thought; have you searched the Futaba support forum? I know this crow issue has been addressed there but I've not read through them to see if it involves using the glider mode.

Next; does that glider mode have a throttle for powered glider functions? If so, you can do a throttle/throttle mix with the thing assigned to a switch of your choice and somewhere around a 15 to 30% difference. You'll have to determine that setting once you get the mix setup so it will close your throttle when activated. If you're using another "channel" for your throttle control, just mix it to itself like I described above and it should work.

Hope that helps....[8D]

Okay, check this thread and it's even got a link (it says "clicky" in the second post) to the Futaba FAQ on this setup. If you've not bookmarked that Futaba FAQ page, now is a good time to do so...

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6287016/tm.htm
Old 09-01-2007, 11:49 AM
pilotpete2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are in glider mode, are you still using the throttle stick for the throttle function? if so you can program a true kill function on any radio with a free mix available, this is not the same as the throttle lock for electrics, don't do that mix with a glow engine, unless you like deadsticks
Make a throttle to throttle mix, set the up rate to 0%, set the down rate to a plus value of about 10% to start ( this value will control how much farther the throttle closes when activated), finally set the offset to about 15% (you set this by positioning the stick then press and hold the dial n' key wheel down for 1 sec. With this mix the kill will have no effect above that 15% low stick value, so if you're cruising along and accidentally hit the kill. no problem, works just like the throttle kill setup built into the radio. Personally I like the trainer switch for my throttle kill, but use whatever works best for you.
I hope this is of some use,
Pete
Old 09-01-2007, 09:18 PM
PipeMajor

Thanks for the link. It was helpful. It's true, Futaba's 9C manual suggests using the GLID2FL-C mode where crow (linked to the throttle) and full span ailerons are pre-programmed mixes. The FAQ on Futaba's web site has an overly complex setup using ACRO mode. I think I tried this once and got hopelessly confused.

At any rate, we didn't fly it today. I am still putzing getting all the small details completed. I had issues with the elevator and stock tailwheel. I thought I had clearanced enough on the hardwood joiner but when I assembled it with the CA hinges I barely had any control throw - especially up elevator. Got frustrated and cut the CA hinges off and put in Robart hinge points. Then I messed up the pushrod. H9 ARFs have metric sized pushrods and the SAE sized are a little too big to ride freely in the provided tubes. Got it to the point all left to do now is to attach the RX antenna to the top of the fin. The H9

My only other RC model is my LT-40 with a single aileron servo. This US40 has a WHOLE BUNCH MORE wires coming out of the receiver!