Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Power System for a 28% Edge

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007, 06:52 AM
NorthernBoy
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power System for a 28% Edge

What would be a good power system for a 28% Edge with 4 HS-5985s, 1 HS-5955, and 2 standard servos? I need to share for the elevator since I will be using a 6 channel radio for now. I have been looking at Power Expanders but it seems to be a little big for what I need, any other ones out there for this size? I am also curious about these little standard servo connectors, can they really handle the current delivered by these larger digital servos? On my last project I used Deans Micro connectors for the ones I had to plugin every flight, and they seen to be good and strong, is there a power system that uses these connectors instead? I am also thinking about building my own using the Deans micro, it would simply be a power distribution no regulation or dual battery, has anyone seen this done?

Thanks
NB
Old 09-02-2007, 11:41 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Power System for a 28% Edge

Two reasonable batteries, 1500+ mah and low impedence (> 10 milli-ohms), plugged directly into the receiver are sufficient for the setup you descibe. Many, many planes have been using this setup for years. I've personally used it on several planes for many years...

Here is a link to more information on this subject: http://www.hangtimes.com/nobsbatteries.html
Old 09-03-2007, 07:56 AM
NorthernBoy
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for your input. I am leaning towards that route now but I am a little concerned with the possible shorting out of battery pack or switch which would cause a problem with this setup, so I am looking at the Smart Fly Bat Share. Also packs don't have to match with Bat Share. How good is this product? Any failures? Id hate to add another component that could fail in my system.

For my second elevator on a 6 channel radio, I thinking of upgrading to a 9 channel system, just don't know what is better 9CAP or XP9303? Decisions...Decisions...Decisions???
Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 AM
tomriddle
My Feedback: (3)

Id hate to add another component that could fail in my system.
You've hit the nail squarely on the head! More connections/components = more possible failure points.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:59 PM
XJet
Banned

I've got a 50cc gasser and I initially went for 2 x 1400mAH low-impedance NiMH (2/3A) 5-cell packs.

These work great and can deliver all the power my 3x HS5955 and 4xHS645 servos demand.

However, I'm now switching to some A123 packs because these are incredible batteries.

Charge from flat in 15 minutes, 30C rating (that's over 60A without blinking) and 2300mAH capacity in a pack barely any heavier than a 1850mAH NiMH pack.