Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Gyro's

Old 03-20-2003, 02:32 AM
gingameigs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gyro's

We are looking at putting gyros on our planes could anyone give us some advice on which are good and which are not. Thanks
Old 03-20-2003, 03:42 AM
Phil Cole

Default Gyro's

All the current Futaba gyros are good. They pretty much own the heli gyro market at the moment, with good reason.

This not to say Futaba gyros are all perfect. They can still have failures, and sometimes drift and carry on. However, the problem rate is lower than any other brand of gyro.

Some JR gyros work OK, but they are more prone to drift.

I have also used GWS and CSM gyros. They have been OK, but the performance has not been as good. GWS gyros are sold under a large number of brand names.

Drift will show up as trim settings changing from day to day and with temperature.

All gyros dislike vibration. Use the foam mounting tape that's supplied, and pay attention to engine tuning. Breaking between 2-stroke and 4-stroke can be particularly disturbing to a gyro.

Remote gain control is almost essential for airplane use. The wide range of airspeed means the control surface authority changes a lot. If you use enough gain for the gyro to be useful at low speed, or while attempting to torque roll, then it will become unstable when you fly at normal speeds unless you reduce the gain, or switch gyro out of the control loop.
Old 03-21-2003, 11:15 AM
gingameigs

Default Gyro's

I did look at a csm icg 180 didn't know much about it so I bailed out do you know much about the nej 120?