Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

futaba 9c super synthesized transmitter

Old 09-15-2007, 08:18 PM
bigdarylg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default futaba 9c super synthesized transmitter

is any one having problems with futaba 9c super syn. transmitters as far as servo chatter with various brands of receivers. i have futaba ,hitec and berg 7p receivers all are chattering a bit. the berg especially chatters enough that i am afraid to fly my plane with it. is this common with synthesized equipment? please post any problems you are having
thanks
Old 09-15-2007, 08:26 PM
bobferguson

Default RE: futaba 9c super synthesized transmitter

I am not having any problems now. I did have some problems of chatter when doing a range check. We traced the noise to the esc. I put a core on the esc lead to the rec and don't have any problems now. I am sure that the fact it is a synthesized tx is not the problem as we have at least 3 at our field with no problems.

ORIGINAL: bigdarylg

is any one having problems with futaba 9c super syn. transmitters as far as servo chatter with various brands of receivers. i have futaba ,hitec and berg 7p receivers all are chattering a bit. the berg especially chatters enough that i am afraid to fly my plane with it. is this common with synthesized equipment? please post any problems you are having
thanks
Old 09-16-2007, 12:33 AM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the synthesized 9CAPS. The only problem I have is that the switches are offset a bit from the numbers on the case, so setting the frequency can be a problem at the field. More than once, I ended up one channel off. It got to the point that I bought three RF modules and if I may change frequencys between flights as I change planes, I now do it by swapping the RF module. I would feel really bad shooting someone down. If I know that my planes for the day are on the same channel, then I set up before leaving home. After all the screwing around, I am wondering why I spent the extra bucks for the receiver and module. I picked up the fixed frequency RF modules off Ebay for just a few bucks. They give me all the flexability I need.

Don

Old 09-16-2007, 01:04 AM
bobferguson

I hear ya. I'll had the same problem so now all my rx are on the same channel. I am the only person on my channel at my field so it is not problem. I plan on going to fasst next year.
Old 09-16-2007, 02:07 AM
Campgems

If I were just starting, I would go with the Fasst setup. Now, I've got my 9C with three fixed and one syntiesized module, and seven planes and gliders. I've also got a couple spare receivers. I would go broke converting all that over to 2.4. Like you, not much problem with my channels at the field. The only real one is one of the guys has an early computer radio that switches channels with the flick of a switch. The trouble is that one of his choices is one of the channels I usually fly. He likes to explain all the features of his transmitter to anyone who will listen, or listen again. Including demoing how easy it is to change channels. I see him show up now and before he get's out of the car, I go over and tell him to watch 56, I'm flying it. Then just to be safe, I dig out a chan 50 bird and fly it.

Don
Old 09-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

Have never messed with the synth modules. having all my RXs on the same channel makes my life simple. Will eventually go to 2.4 but reciever prices need to come down some or I'd be spending well over $1000 to update.
Old 09-16-2007, 11:43 AM
pilotpete2

Another single frequency flyer here, I like to keep things simple[8D] Seems like there are more issues with synth modules.
I also will probably go FASST next year with a module for my 9Cs.
Pete
Old 09-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Campgems

Don't get me wrong, both the synthesized transmitter module and the synthesized receiver work very well. I just find switching fixed frequency modules easier. That and decades of experiece in computer repair leads me to believe that sooner or later, the switches will give you some problems. In the mean time, I've got a setup that I could fly one plane with in just about any crowd.

Don
Old 09-26-2007, 08:25 PM
waynebotz

HI, I have a Futaba 9C radio and bought the synthesizer module because I had been buying other people's stuff which had different frequencie than what I prefer. Anyhow, I was experiencing chatter on some receivers and finally I didn't get anything to work on any channel. I sent the module back to Futaba and it came back working fine. The only explanation I got was that they found no problem. They also said they tuned it.

It worked fine until recently. I crashed three planes in short order. All with the same Berg receiver. I am sending the receiver back for servicing. It looks like the Berg receiver goes into hold/falesafe mode implying that the synthesized transmission isn't always recogonized by the receiver. Anyhow, I wasn't sure until this last crash (even the best of pilots can dumb thumb things). The first two planes were fast fliers where the crash happened fast (and not furious). This last plane was a floater where I was locked out and could not do anything with the control surfaces until after the crash.
Old 09-26-2007, 08:42 PM
bobferguson

I found this on the net "Futaba Frequency Synthesizer modules are not compatible with Berg receivers. The Hitec Spectra Module, which uses standard pulse encoding, works fine"
try a google search for "synthesize berg receiver" it may apply to you.

Though I am using a Berg 4 channel with no problem.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:23 PM
liquid_TR

Ive been using my cap9 with synth. module using various but *only* futaba brand receivers for a long time now. Never had any chatter, interference or any sort of problem at the field. Some poeple use hitec or other brand receivers with futaba TX's , those are the ones that usually have problems with their setup.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Campgems

Wayne, I lost, well crashed, actually dunked, a plane monday where everything locked out. I pulled it out of the pond, about 10 lbs heaver it seemed and got it up to the bench . I took the wing off and was checking for water inside. It turns out that other than what I dripped in taking the wing off, it was dry. I then fired the engine and run it up to make sure it hadn't got any water in it. So far, all was well other than the wing. Then I noticed that the Voltwatch was showing only a red light. Dead battery? I pulled it off the charger just before I loaded it in the car. Scratched it up to a bad day and took stuff home. When I got home, I hosed the mud off the landing gear and for some reason, turned on the receiver again. Still just the red llight. I turned it off and let the plane set on the patio for a couple hours to finish drying out. I took it in to the bench to pull the battery and for some reason turned it on again. Full charge on the VoltWatch. I pulled the battery and skinned the cover off and checked all the welds. OK. measureded the voltage on each cell, all the exactly the same, measured with my Fluke. I put the battery on the cycler and it still had 112 minutes of a 120 charge. I ran it through it paces again and for the life of me, I can't figure what is happening. I have to pull the VoltWatch and get it undr the microscope, my naked eye thinks it sees a bit of corrosion on the wires at the PC board. It either that it was shorting out and causing the receiver to turn off, or I have a servo that is going bad. The crash was on my first takeoff of the day. I rolled out to the center line and started to pick up speed and the plane jumped to the lef. I was think then I punched it to quicke and I got it back on the straight and narrow and just as I started to pull up, it did a right turn, running off the runway. It's a 3D and doesn't take much runway to go airborne, and for the life of me, I couldn't get it to lift off, I chopped the engine and just then, It lifted up and glided over the barbed wire fence and landed just in the water. The two flights the last time out were anxious. I thuoght I was having a bad day and now I'm wondering. By the way, the receiver is a synthesized Futaba that I just got back from a check out by Futaba.

I'm going to fix the wing, put a different battery in and also a different receiver before it goes out again.

I heard you guys got a new field and then the deal fell through. Is that correct??

Don
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM
Campgems

Bob, the RF module only controls the frequency I believe. Beyond that , its whether the encoding is PPM or PCM and the signal shift that determines compatabily. The 9CAP can encode in either PPM or PCM, so that shouldn't be an issue. Signal shift is fixed, so it Futaba vs JR. I've tried different receivers with my 9CAP and synthesizer and the results are binary, the work or they don't .

On the topic of receivers, we are starting to have the Spectrum 2.4 guys crash because the antannas on the recievers are breaking off at the PC board. One guy crashed three times in the same place on the field and thought it was interference, It looks like he was shadowing the one antenna wire that was sort of still attached. I hear a drop of hot glue on the solder joint and wire makes a good strain releif for them . You may want to give your 2.4 guys a heads up on this one.

Don

Old 09-27-2007, 11:59 AM
RCPilot100
My Feedback: (4)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using the 9CAP with synthesized module - no problem with Futaba, Hitec or GWS receivers - only the Berg doesn't work - it doesn't work with my 9Z & synthesized module either. Have a FAAST package coming - will switch over to that over time.

Dan