Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Returning R/Cer Question

Old 09-19-2007, 09:24 PM
harphunt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Returning R/Cer Question

Hate to kill you all with another advice question, but...

I foolishly sold my 9c, thinking I was leaving the hobby, and bought recording gear. I really liked that radio, even though it was more radio than I needed. I'm back and looking at three options:

-Another 9c (Costly and, again, more than I need. Even more to upgrade to 2.4, if wanted.)

-The new 7c 2.4 (Seems like the best choice, but no ailevators for u-can-do, etc. Is there a workaround? Any other limitations I should be aware of?)

-The crystal version 7cap (inexpensive, but thinking might as well go 2.4 if starting over.)

Any thoughts? Are crystal radios a thing of the past? I appreciate your input. Things have changed.

Thanks in advance.

PEACE
Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Dr1Driver

Default RE: Returning R/Cer Question

-Another 9c (Costly and, again, more than I need. Even more to upgrade to 2.4, if wanted.)
You just answered your own question. Don't waste the bucks on more radio than you need. At the moment, my main radios are a Hitec Flash 4 and a Futaba 6AX.

The new 7c 2.4 (Seems like the best choice, but no ailevators for u-can-do, etc. Is there a workaround? Any other limitations I should be aware of?)
There isn't a programmable mix option that you can switch the elevators/ailerons into?

Any thoughts? Are crystal radios a thing of the past?
I don't think so. There are many R/Cers out there who don't need the complexity of the new radios, and don't need the instant channel changing capability, either. I fly a lot during the week, and at that time, my field is usually deserted. When I do fly on a weekend, there are maybe 10-20 pilots out there. If there is a frequency conflict, the wait for the channel usually isn't too long and it gives me time to chat with the other pilots. If I'm at an event and there's a conflict, I simply be patient and wait. What's the rush? After all, this hobby is supposed to be relaxing.

Dr.1
Old 09-20-2007, 09:58 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

2.4 also removes the possibility of being shot down. That alone makes it the most desireable for me
Old 09-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Darkbird
My Feedback: (7)

You may want to give a little thought to the future as well. The 9C may be more than you need right now but you may find yourself wishing for those extra functions in the future. I still find a new mix that makes my life easier every so often.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:34 PM
harphunt

Thanks for the input guys! The 9c is ONLY $80 more than the 7c 2.4, more versitile, but not "2.4." Even with 5 channels I was using its features.

But darn it, the 7c is fasst and might have enough features. I need to find out what the workaround is for the two elevator servo setup. It may be my only limitation. From what I've read, the trim only operates one side. Even with a Y harness??? Anyone know or can point me to a link?

PEACE
Old 09-21-2007, 04:38 PM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Two things to consider:

1. 2.4 is here to stay. It eliminates glitching, and the possibility of being shot down. It has advantages and disadvantages like everything in life.

2. Do not limit yourself with "it's more radio than I will ever use". That is your thought right now. A few months or years from now, you might end up with a model that is more complex and will make use of a radio with more features.

If starting from nothing, I would go with the 2.4 technology. But why limit yourself with just the Futaba brand? If you are looking for features, look at every manufacturer and make an informed decision. You did not keep any equipment, right? So, Why consider just one manufacturer? There are very good manufacturers of 2.4 technology out there that need to be considered too. Even if you buy a "crystal" radio and put a 2.4 module on it.

Rafael
Old 09-21-2007, 06:38 PM
harphunt

Thanks again. I flew futaba before and "understand" it. Lame excuse I know. I'd really like to try the u-can-do when I get my chops back, but the 7c will not support dual elevator servos. What a shame. I thought that radio would be it.

I've looked at the spektrum, but something about it bugs me - irrational. It's not owned by JR, is it? A relatively new company?

I guess I'm leaning towards what I owned before. The pain of too many choices!!

PEACE
Old 09-22-2007, 06:48 PM
dirtybird

If you are hung up on Futaba I will sell you an 8U for $100 without a module. Then you can get a 2.4 module from xtremepowersystems.net for about $200 with the receiver.The 8U I have was my backup to my 9C and was rerely used. I am selling it because I ordered a Multiplex Evo12. The 8U will do everything you want. I have the manual with it.
PM me if you want it
Old 09-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

ORIGINAL: harphunt

Thanks again. I flew futaba before and "understand" it. Lame excuse I know. I'd really like to try the u-can-do when I get my chops back, but the 7c will not support dual elevator servos. What a shame. I thought that radio would be it.

I've looked at the spektrum, but something about it bugs me - irrational. It's not owned by JR, is it? A relatively new company?

I guess I'm leaning towards what I owned before. The pain of too many choices!!

PEACE
Having been a Futaba guy since I started, switching over to the "Dark Side" was something of a process for me. My personal opinion (I know it's not worth much...) is that Futaba got caught sleeping on this 2.4 GHz stuff and the module solution to the issue is not something I think works as well as a native system.

So as soon as my X9303 gets here, my 9C Super and my 9ZAP WC2 will be up for sale.

In the meantime I got a DX-7 to play with on my glow powered models so I could get used to the JR type programming. I will tell you that one of the reasons I went to Futaba to begin with was the programming ability to assign any function to any switch. Programming the DX-7 is not difficult, but it IS DIFFERENT.

On the plus side, you'll be hard pressed to find a radio in the DX-7's price range that offers the features/capabilities you find in the Spektrum system. The difference in how fast the radio is compared to even my 9Z is noticeable even on my glow models. It does support dual elevator servos.

I'm not familiar with the programming on the new Futaba 7 channel 2.4 GHz FASST model, but I don't think they're even shipping the system yet?

Last, and this was the kicker for me since I've had experience with both; the CS from Horizon/JR vs. the CS from Hobbico/Futaba pushed me over the edge.

JMHO, YMMV....
Old 09-23-2007, 09:39 AM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Having been a Futaba guy since I started, switching over to the "Dark Side" was something of a process for me. My personal opinion (I know it's not worth much...) is that Futaba got caught sleeping on this 2.4 GHz stuff and the module solution to the issue is not something I think works as well as a native system.
The module solution has been used for years. You have used it for 72mhz with your transmitters. It works just as well as a native system and gives you the capability of switching back to 72mhz if you need to. It also means you don't have to learn a new programming system and saves all of the previous programming you have done.
The xtreme system uses the Maxstreme 2.4ghz capsule that is a well proven 2.4ghz system.
Old 09-23-2007, 11:25 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 63 Likes on 50 Posts

Yeah well as I said; JMHO, YMMV....

As far as I'm concerned slapping a module with an antenna setup coming out of it which is subject to un-noticed damage, on the back of an expensive tx is no solution anymore. Whether or not it works as well as a native system is open to debate, but my research says that is not the case and that argument is only made by those who do not have a native system. You never hear the folks with a native system saying "It's just as good as a module system".

Being able to switch back to running 72MHz? No thank you.

My primary purpose in going to the 2.4 stuff is not having some kid/newbie either at the flying site or nearby churchs/schools take down one of my gassers with his new aquisition. We even had one incident at our annual club open house even with using a tx impound, where a member got shot down by a mistake of the impound guys. Why risk even a really nice glow model because a new rx for it was $80.00? The absolutely phenominal increase in control response is just an added bonus. Make no mistake I encourage anyone who shows an interest to get involved and help them wherever I can. But the increasing frequency of problems due to those folks not being familiar, or with those who choose to ignore accepted methods of frequency control on the 72MHz stuff is not something I want to deal with anymore. While the 2.4 systems do have their own set of problems/considerations, I'd rather deal with those than getting shot down.

The original poster was asking for opinions, I made it clear that what I wrote was my opinion and so is the above.
Old 09-23-2007, 04:02 PM
dirtybird

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Yeah well as I said; JMHO, YMMV....

As far as I'm concerned slapping a module with an antenna setup coming out of it which is subject to un-noticed damage, on the back of an expensive tx is no solution anymore. Whether or not it works as well as a native system is open to debate, but my research says that is not the case and that argument is only made by those who do not have a native system. You never hear the folks with a native system saying "It's just as good as a module system".

Being able to switch back to running 72MHz? No thank you.

The original poster was asking for opinions, I made it clear that what I wrote was my opinion and so is the above.
Since you have used the module system for years your only problem seems to be the mounting of the antenna. OK its not where it used to be. You should inspect things before you fly.
So you never want to switch back to 72. That feature might come in handy when it comes time to sell it.
What research have you done? Xtreme has sold several thousand systems. They have a pretty good data base.
OK you have your opinion. I expect its biased a bit because you have spent money for that JR system.
I spent my money on Xtreme and I find it works for me.
Thats my opinion.
Old 09-24-2007, 09:47 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't own a specktrum system yet, as I'm "on the fence" waiting for the prolonged field testing that modelers do for the manufacturers. But several of my flying buddies have native specktrum systems as well as module based systems.

Time and time again, the module based systems show a delay on the controls similar to the PCM system when compared to the native system. It might not be noticeable on airplanes, but it is very noticeable in CCPM helicopters, where 3 servos (pitch, aileron, and elevator) combine their inputs to make a helicopter do anything.

I'm switching over to 2.4 native soon. I will keep my current 9303 with a 72 module for training new people at my club, and purchase a 2.4 module as a back-up to my native system.

Rafael
Old 09-24-2007, 02:31 PM
dirtybird

The delay of PCM is caused the requirement that more than one frame is required to update the servo pulse. The module systems work on PPM. If PPM is fast enough for your helicopter, the module system should be just as fast.
The xtreme system requires some complex programming in the receiver to assign slave channels. I expect the systems of your fellow fliers have not been programmed properly
Old 09-25-2007, 03:45 PM
harphunt

Thank you all for your attention to a worn out question. 7c + y harness = 9c price. I've begun to look at the Dx7. Who knows.

Thanks again!