Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Rcvr Jitters

Old 09-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Don41

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rcvr Jitters

I run a Hitec Eclipse 7 (FM72)

I decided to stock a new receiver (SupremeIIS _ 8 channel_autoshift). To verify it's okay I set it up with a battery pack and servo. When I turn the receiver on without the transmitter on I get a bad case of servo jitters. Everything calms down and seems to function normally when I turn on the transmitter. These jitters do not occur with the older shift select receivers in my planes,,, with or without the transmitter active.

Comments? Problem?
Old 09-26-2007, 02:02 PM
pilotpete2

Default RE: Rcvr Jitters

No problem, having a receiver turned on without the transmitter on is not advisable. In the case of your new Supreme 8 receiver, I believe that it also auto gain (AGC), this feature turns up the gain when the signal levels are low, so with no signal from your transmitter the gain goes way up and backround RF is amplified (got fluorescent lights) resulting in a case of the servo jitters. Completely normal
Pete
Old 09-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Don41

Thanks Pete.

The flourescent lights occurred to me but the jitters staayed even with them off. That and the planes themselves don't jitter even with light on.

Sounds like it's just a case of the newer technology (as you indicate).
Old 09-26-2007, 03:45 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Don41 I run a Hitec Eclipse 7 (FM72) I decided to stock a new receiver (SupremeIIS _ 8 channel_autoshift). To verify it's okay I set it up with a battery pack and servo. When I turn the receiver on without the transmitter on I get a bad case of servo jitters. Everything calms down and seems to function normally when I turn on the transmitter. These jitters do not occur with the older shift select receivers in my planes,,, with or without the transmitter active. Comments? Problem?
Confirm pilotpete2's answer. The servo jitter is normal and very common with many different receivers. (I would be concerned if your HFD-08R0 [Supreme ll], the HFS-06MT [Mini 6S] and similar receivers did not display that action).
Many modern receivers will seek and or lock onto a close signal, which may be out of kilter with your TX when it is eventually turned on, and may also drive servos past their stop points which leads to early unexpected failure of the servo.
Golden rule: Transmitter On First Off last as per TX manuals. NB: Computerised transmitters must be allowed to complete initialisation before the receiver is turned on. Some such as the Futaba 9CAP may take a few seconds before the ready beep is heard.
See also "Glitches & Jitter in RX & Servo - causes and cures " amonsgt other sub sections under "Radio Systems, Accessories, Alterations and FAQ" on my web page.
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links
Old 09-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Don41

I know about the transmitter/receiver rule however from time to time while working on the bench I'd forget and never noticed jitters which is why I didn't think too much about it when I plugged in the receiver before grabbing the transmitter.

I guess it's a good reminder to follow the manufacturer's rules.