Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is 72 Mhz Dead???

Old 10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Is 72 Mhz Dead???

The choice between 72Mhz and 2.4Ghz will be a personal one but one also dictated by the location you fly from.

In some places, 72MHz is particularly interference-prone due to the proximity of pager towers or other strong signals on nearby frequencies.

Likewise however, there are some places where 2.4GHz wouldn't be a good idea due to similarly strong signals on the same or adjacent bands which can cause even the best spread-spectrum set to fail.

If you fly near a major urban center then 2.4GHz might not be as good an option as 72MHz, since there really is a *lot* of activity on that part of the radio spectrum.

And some 2.4GHz gear is *definitely* better than others when it comes to managing the high noise levels likely to be encountered in some locations.

Not all spread-spectrum is created equal :-)
Old 10-08-2007, 09:34 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Although I think 2.4 will be the future, I think 72 will still be strong for five or ten years. I feel the 2.4 is not quite up to par YET, but it will improve as this beta testing that the radio companies are putting the general consumer through continues. I bought a new 9CAPS Syn. radio last week because of some of the issues with the 2.4 namely the line of sight and carbon fiber issues. But, I'm convinced they will have these issues worked out probably within a year. The question is not whether I like or dislike 2.4 but is 72Mhz dead. I think 72 will still be strong for five or ten years, if not I'm going to inquire from Futaba why they sold me an obsolete Tx. ha, ha, ha. Anyway, since the 2.4 has come on the scene 72 has been great in that fewer people are on it resulting in less conflicts getting a channel flag. I might mention that I bought the 9CAPS so that I could put a 2.4 module in it if I so decide. Also, the newbes seem to buy the 2.4 stuff with the smaller planes and trainers and he or she has a higher potential of shooting down someone than folks with more experience.

I just want to thank all you guys that are beta testing the 2.4 now for the rest of us so that we can have a great technology to use in three or four years.
Old 10-08-2007, 10:18 AM
pilotpete2

I agree.
I also have a new 9Cs that very well may get a 2.4Ghz FASST module down the road.[8D]
We recently have had a couple of incidents at our field where guy's were mysteriously hit, but by the time the frequency checker was fired up there was no conflict.
We have an elementary school just across the river from us in NH. and one of our junior members who's in HS. heard that some kids crashed an RC model at the elementary school[&o] I think that situations like this are a major factor in the move to 2.4Ghz, fear of being shot down, Glitching? I can honestly say that in 20 years on 72Mhz I can count the time I actually had a glitch on one hand
Cheers,
Pete
Old 10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When automobiles started appearing on the roads -- the horse and buggy users commented that the price of hay was steadily dropping
The bad part was that the street sweepers started working shorter hours
This was due to the reduction in horse poopie.
Of course - this all took some time --
good thing we saved the brooms------------------
Old 10-08-2007, 12:55 PM
BillS

I feel the 2.4 is not quite up to par YET
Glitching? I can honestly say that in 20 years on 72Mhz I can count the time I actually had a glitch on one hand
My glitch experience has been the same.

I cannot help but wonder if the glitches usually attributed to 72 weren't actually brown outs or low voltage spikes. Now 2.4 systems shut down on a low voltage spike creating a real crisis.

Bill
Old 10-08-2007, 01:46 PM
pilotpete2

Bill,
I'm sure that in some geographical areas there are issues, I can only comment on my personal experiences.
Now regarding low voltage on a 72Mhz PPM/FM receiver, I have personally had a cell short in a 4 cell nicd pack quite some years back, so I was very near the minimum voltage for the receiver, it was the sloooow servo response that clued me in. That was the last time ever that I flew without a check with the loaded ESV I've also been flying with 5 cell packs since then
Basic setup issues such as metal to metal contact, poor vibration isolation for the receiver (ever see a receiver glued directly to the bottom of the fuselage) that'll do it!
I've also heard guys claiming they were getting glitches when flying thru the the turbulence at the left approach to our runway that results from two trees that are down wind of our final approach.
Pete
Old 10-08-2007, 03:39 PM
John Redman
My Feedback: (8)

Great post Dick!!!!!
Old 10-08-2007, 04:03 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

My 72 mhz system(s) have been working fine. I suppose I will eventually switch to 2.4, but I'm waiting for the manufacturers to come out with 6 or 7 channel FULL RANGE recievers for under $50. Right now, I must have 12-15 recievers kicking around. The new ones, like Bergs or Hitecs have circuitry that locks on to your individual TX, so it is less likely that you will be shot down by someone turning on another TX of the same frequency. Further, you will read elswere on this forum that the 2.4 systems are not 100 percent trouble free.
Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The "one" pilot at Hammbone's field (which is mine as well) that sold his 2.4, was using Xtremelink in a JR radio and this was the first generation. Xtremelink even recalled these modules because of problems. I question whether this pilot crossed his t's and dotted his i"s with his setup as well. This is my opinion.
Regaurdless, I am still going to hold out on 2.4 for a little while as I would like a 9C Futaba. No aftermarket modules for me now.

Just for the record, he sold his JR transmitter as well.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:30 PM
Eplane65
My Feedback: (16)

Some modelers have the Midas touch. This guy must have been the hambone.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Hammbone
My Feedback: (309)

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

The "one" pilot at Hammbone's field (which is mine as well) that sold his 2.4, was using Xtremelink in a JR radio and this was the first generation. Xtremelink even recalled these modules because of problems. I question whether this pilot crossed his t's and dotted his i"s with his setup as well. This is my opinion.
Regaurdless, I am still going to hold out on 2.4 for a little while as I would like a 9C Futaba. No aftermarket modules for me now.

Just for the record, he sold his JR transmitter as well.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with his set up.
Did you even see his set up? If so, I'd like to know what you saw wrong with it.

Jim

Old 10-08-2007, 08:27 PM
vertical grimmace

Something went wrong. Setup or not.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 PM
aviti
My Feedback: (54)

Hammbone - I understand your concerns but keep in mind you haven't talked to everyone using 2.4 or Spektrum. I spoke with a competitive heli guy over the weekend and he is shocked the airplane guys are rather slow to migrate to 2.4. As you probably are aware, out of like 700 pilots at IRCHA, only like 150 guys were on 72. These guys are really doing the testing for us and according to them, Spektrum (and possibly others) is bullet proof. I've seen the same thing locally.

I waited until just recently to switch myself. I never want to be the first guy to try the new stuff but I also don't want to be the last. We have learned a lot of stuff so far (adequate power to servos/receiver) and I'm sure more improvements will be made. But I don't think people need to be warned of the technology as a whole, just educated on how to avoid problems.

By the way, just about every time I go to the flying field on a busy weekend, someone claims they were hit on 72. Whether it was truely interference or not who knows, but we know a lot of these issues are thumbs or improper set-up. I've yet to see anyone in person complain of being hit on Spektrum and there are a lot of guys flying on it locally.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:24 AM
WILDCRASHWILLY

I can honestly state that I have never been hit by another modeler. All the modelers that I know in the local clubs that I'm a member of have been very careful about frequency control. I did have some glithches a few times last year but after sending the radio in for repairs found that my module was not making good contact with it's pins. The manufacture replaced the module no charge and all has been well. Yesssseerrreee my crashes can be credited to me, they are all mine, no one else gets to share that glory[>:].
Old 10-09-2007, 01:22 PM
vertical grimmace

I find it odd that this has turned into an arguement. Why? It is not like there can be a loser on this topic. We are all winners if you really look at this. Don't we all want 2.4 to work? I certainly do. I am not ready to buy another radio but I would love to have one on 2.4. I may get a cheaper 6 or 7 channel. I have a ton of activity on my frequency and it is getting to be a pain. As to whether one is better than the other it really does not matter. At least right now you have a choice as to which type you would like to use. That is something that may not be forever, in keeping with the topic of this thread.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 PM
Capgains
My Feedback: (4)

I agree Vertical, I have been reading the threads where a guy will announce that he crashed his plane... happened to be guided by a 2.4, and it is always the same.... "It locked out".

Then comes a barrage of speculative armchair pilots, some accusing the person of pilot error right off. Like they want to prove the guy wrong that anything could have possibly interferred with his plane.

I think the reality of the matter is: There is no "bullet proof" radio signal out there that we can use leagally. There is always going to be something that can interfere with a wireless signal be it metal, noise, radar, microwaves, solar flares, alien space craft or even a good bowl of Texas Chili. I saw in a post from a manufacturer that a certain type of radar beam would indeed render a 2.4ghz RX unresponsive. Just like on 72mhz... a CB operator that has an illegal linear booster attached can level every channel in one transmission.

So what's the answer? Buy and use what works best at your site. At my site, either works well. But I have visited sites where it is posted that certain channels have had problems. Do you have long waits to use your transmitter? Maybe 2.4Ghz is your better choice, or a 72mhz with sythesizer capability to move to an unused channel. Having the added technology is a great advance... having both frequencies definitly makes life better for all of us as a whole. This is not an either/ or issue.
Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 PM
rmh

in spite of the naysayers - the 2.4 is here to stay -and will quickly obsolete the crystal stuff .
sure--- the 72 is still usable
you simply can't sell anything but a 2.4 here - the 72.xx equipment goes begging
Old 10-09-2007, 05:53 PM
vertical grimmace

Anyone see the recent 72mhz Blowout sale by Futaba? That should give a little insight.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:27 PM
coronabob
My Feedback: (10)

And I offer my dollar and sense. I have had a 9C since it first came out. I have 4 FM, 2 PCM receivers, and 7 flying planes 4 of which are gassers.

I have just bought a 9C Super with 4 PCM receivers here on RCU. The receivers will go in 3 planes I am assembling. I paid $365 and felt very good about the deal.

My field presents no interference on 72MHz. I will continue to fly 72MHz for a year or two. By then the 2.4GHz will have matured and a clear winner will emerge. At which point, I will buy a module system to go in my 9C Super. At present, I like the Extreme for $210. Even if I were to buy the Extreme today, $210 + $165 for the 9CS tranny I would have spent $375 for a very high end 2.4GHz. Compared to $620 for a JR X9330 (no servos), I am ahead by $245.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:52 AM
harphunt

$15 is NO blow-out sale and those selling used (9c at least) are selling at or near new prices if you break it down. 72MHz is not going begging.

PEACE
Old 10-11-2007, 10:07 AM
k3 valley flyer
My Feedback: (18)

"And will quickly obsolete the crystal stuff". What you want to happen and what actually happens are not usually the same. Did the automobile quickly replace the horse? Did diesel locomotives quickly replace steam? Did automatic transmissions quickly replace manual? Is there a pc in every home? In the 60's college students were told the government would stop printing money in 10 years because everyone would use plastic cards, ie credit cards. Don't you remember the dotcom bust of 2000? Faith Popcorn a New York advertising consultant predicted in 1999 that 90 % of all groceries would be sold via the internet by 2003, are companies like Peapod even still around? Technological innovations take a long time to be fully adapted by society for alot of reasons. Even if the invention is easier to use, does the job better, and is cheaper, not everyone will "quickly" change to it. People, especially older people, resist change because they are uncomfortable learning new devices and skills to do something they have done another way for along time. Dick just because you got on the SS band wagon doesn't mean everyone else will or even should until other factors in the world leave them no choice.
Old 10-11-2007, 10:29 AM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

I agree with Dick that Spread Spectrum technology is here to stay. I fly in Houston
at some crowded flying sites and being shot down is a reality we live with every time
we fly, heck it's even happened at a few of our pattern contests in years past so it is
very possible even at a controlled environment such as a contest. I personally believe
the government will eventually take back the 72mhz and 75mhz frequencies which will
make them useless for us anyway. I just got a new 9303 2.4 system and it will be nice to
not worry about something, or someone, shooting down my expensive pattern ship. I think
2.4 technology has proved itself enough for me to have confidence in it.

tommy s
Old 10-11-2007, 11:38 AM
rmh

gee - fly what you like -I am not a missionary for 2.4.
If the advantages of these setups hold nothing for you - then -why bother .
A number of guys here (in SLC) still fly em but I have never heard a single person even suggest that a new radio for them-would be other than a 2.4.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
DadsToysBG
My Feedback: (35)

It's the same thing here at my store. The only receivers I'm selling are 2.4. The customers that want new radio's are waiting for the 2.4. Those that chose not to move are buying up the used 72.All anyone has to do is look at the last big heli meet. 720 pilots only 120 radios went to impound all the others were 2.4. Dennis
Old 10-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Solstice

Depends on what you mean by Dead. If by dead you mean a dead end, then YES. If by dead you mean everyone will get 2.4 and replace their flight line, well no. But I think that is primarily because of cost to switch. It will continue because of the investment so many have and the fact that the band width is not going away. But... in all honesty the new 2.4 stuff is the real deal. It truly is better. I suspect it will also end up cheaper too.

Change can be hard, but we will adapt. The nice thing about this change is that with 2.4 and it's various implementation methods, we ended up with a better solution . In my neck of the woods no new 72mhz systems are being sold. Ditto for the receivers. Ebay prices on 72 tell the story.

Take care.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.