Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Lipos and Transmitters

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 07:37 AM
shanes300
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lipos and Transmitters

I am in doubt of installing a 3 cell lipo in my transmitter. I know of a couple of people who have done it and like it alot saying that they don't have to charge for a while. My worry is that it is too much voltage. Should I worry about that? I haven't done any research on this yet and I am taking a short cut by asking you guys.

Thanks for any and all advise,
Shane Smith

BTW: I am flying with a Futaba 9C
Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM
roboto65
My Feedback: (30)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lipos and Transmitters

My friend and I have been using them being 3 cell 2200 packs for about a year now I love it I have a Eclipse from Hitec and he has his in his Futabas a 9C and an 8 channel Futaba. I or him have had no problems what so ever with them the voltage on mine has been around 12 volts fully charged and I have had no ill effects and when the alarm goes off it is time to charge well before the 9 volt limit which is a long time !!!
Old 10-09-2007, 03:42 PM
A.T.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Lipos and Transmitters

ORIGINAL: shanes300 I am in doubt of installing a 3 cell lipo in my transmitter. I know of a couple of people who have done it and like it alot saying that they don't have to charge for a while. My worry is that it is too much voltage. Should I worry about that? I haven't done any research on this yet and I am taking a short cut by asking you guys. Thanks for any and all advise, Shane Smith BTW: I am flying with a Futaba 9C
Replace batteries with NiMH - now cheaper, longer lasting and less chance of damage to system.
Removing the battery pack for charging will not effect model memory in Hitec and Futaba TX. However, JR TX do not have a flash memory system and use a small lithium battery cell soldered to the main board, to retain memory and settings, which should be replaced every 4-5 years. Recommend remove 9.6v battery pack and charge externally when using a fast field charger - helps prevents overheating or missing peak due to the internal diode in many TX charging circuits.
Over voltage is a problem with many TX, the regulators are for internal demand from a nominal 9.6V supply (NiCad or NiMH) and some upto 8 X AA alkaline batteries = 12.0v and can fail under the repeated excess voltage of 12.45v+ supplied by fully charged 3S LiPol. [FWIW an increasing number of TX now use 6 cell NiMH packs]
Use of 3S Lithium Polymer (Lipol) packs in at least Hitec Transmitters voids the warranty as per some previous posts on the topic.
Lipo replacement in Optic6
Lipo replacement in Hitec TX
OPTIC 6 TX Battery charge
3s Lipol voids warranty
to calculate approximate "time on" from a fresh battery
Hitec battery drain rates
Regards
Alan T.
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links