Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba R5014 DPS Power Rating

Old 10-09-2007, 09:09 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba R5014 DPS Power Rating

Hi,

I have been told the Futaba R5014 DPS receiver is rated to handle 70A??? Is this right? Please can anyone confirm or deny this? Or provide information that you believe to be accurate?

Thanks,
Mark
Old 10-10-2007, 08:38 AM
tkilwein

Default RE: Futaba R5014 DPS Power Rating

The standard connectors-pins and wiring are good for ~2 to 5 amps continous depending on the brand and material, the PCB solid copper bus bars with solder wicking in the RX is good for more current than any of the connectors or wires are rated for.

I have the 5014 with 4 power leads coming from 2 regulators(set to 5.6v, 15 amps each, 2 leads each) and have 8 HS5955TG's and 2 standard servos in a 36% katana.

I have not been able to get the system to fail or have the RX or servos (lock up or reset) due to inadequate power, I even held the control surfaces so 6 of the 5955's were stalled briefly.

Just my experience
Tony

edit
With 3 amps max (stalled) per servo and 14 servos that is 42 amps max. One 20 gauge power lead going in will smoke.
The power leads seam to be the weak link, that is why I have 4 leads going in and they are spaced apart, not ganged in the same spot.
With 4 leads delivering @ ~20amps max, how many servos can you stall in the air?
12 amps has been the max current spikes the eagle tree logger recorded with a hot shot yanking at the sticks in my setup above.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:57 AM
schroedm
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks.

After years of running Powerboxes, powerboards, Weatronics etc I am looking to revert to a K.I.S.S install.

I have a Boomerang XL jet that is running a total of 8 8411s. The idea was to run 2 3600ma NiMh packs through two 5.9v regulators/switches into the RX. I wanted to be happy that the RX will be quite happy with this load/setup.

Thoughts?

Rgds,
Mark
Old 10-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Silent-AV8R

I have run up to 12 8611 servos on a giant scale aerobatic plane through a single 5014 with no issues at all.

And if you really want to KISS, forget the regulators on the NiMHs. Just plug straight in. That is the way I set up the plane with the 8611's. The key with NiMH's is to use cells with the lowest possible internal impedance, which will minimize voltage drop under load. I literally have hindred's of flight on this set up with no issues at all.