Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Opinions Pleazzzz

Old 03-25-2003, 11:19 PM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions Pleazzzz

I would like to hear some opinions on a few radios with good/bad points please for use with Airplanes.

FUTABA 6XHS
JR X347
Futaba T6XA
HiTec Prism 7X
Futaba 8UAF

Thanks in Advance
Old 03-26-2003, 04:23 AM
Lynx

There's so many opinions and radio's out there it's ridiculous. I keep hearing the 9C come up as the best balance between price and features. You can go lower price with fewer features, or higher price with more, but it's 'budget minded' without skimping out on anything really.
Old 08-26-2003, 08:45 AM
Kmer

I've had a t6xa for 3 years . I can't say i've had any issues with it. I've used with vtail settings, flaperons, eleverons, heli and all sorts of mixing options. It has been a great intermideate radio. If you have the extra cash though I would get a larger radio with more mixing options and more channels.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:41 AM
Jesse-RCU

if you get to the point that you have to choose between too radios that seem to be spoken highly of, pick the one that has the best service. lets just say that i sure hate for any of my Jr equipment to fail on me agin, because Jr does not believe that it is possible to manufacture a faulty product. i found this out after i lost my $2000 cap 232 that was furnished with Jr 4721 servos. this is just a suggestion, im sure this has happend to me only and no one else. good luck
Old 08-29-2003, 07:17 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

All should work fine with airplanes. The Futaba Heli radio "6XHS" includes airplane software, it just defaults to helis, switches are a bit different I think and the ratchet has been removed from the throttle, otherwise it is identical to a 6XAS.

There is technically nothing "wrong" with any of the listed radios, but there is a wide spread of costs and features with the listed radios. This makes a useful comparison difficult. Out of the group listed, the "best" radio, i.e. most features, is either the E7 or the 8U. However, my personal pref for a mid-range radio would actually be a Futaba 9CAP, which was not listed.

Jesse: I'd agree you should consider support after the sale, but I would only give it the weight it deserves. I'm sorry to hear about your loss, but features and value should carry a lot more weight that ease of service when considering a radio. I don't use JR radios, but other pilots I know do and have sent items to JR for repair. My impression from them is that JR service is on par with the other major radio makers.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:06 PM
flytheedge
My Feedback: (84)

Default Radios

I recentely sold my RD6000 Super. That was a great transmitter manufactured by Airtronics. I absolutely love them. I've been with them for 4 years and I've NEVER had any problems. Then I needed D/R on my rudder and expo on the rudder so I went to the Hitec Eclipse 7, purchased from J J Freestyle. I don't like the menu setup as I did the RD6000, but I think it'll work. With the RD6000, you didn't have to hold push any combo of buttons to get to a menu screen. As with the Eclipse 7 you have to hold down a few different combos of buttons to get to different screens. And even then it only shows one option at a time.

I think it'll do the job, but it's nowhere near as nice as the Airtronics radios or the JR radios. I'd go with Airtronics. JR is overpriced and Airtronics is just as good as JR. Just my 2 cents. thanks.
Clint
Old 08-31-2003, 07:49 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the radios you have listed are excellent choices for airlane use. I agree with the statement previously made to get more radio than you are going to use. It's amazing how quickly you decide you want more mixes or channels after you get a radio that's a little limited.

JR radios seem to have the best feel, but are pricey.

Hitec is a great radio but the programming is awkward.

Futaba 6XAs radios are good, but I don't reccommend using JR coreless digital servos with them. Mine had serious servo jitter.

Airtronics is a great glider radio in any channel number. Good for helicopters, too. They don't seem to have the servo selection that I would like to see.

My personal choice is a JR transmitter and receiver (nothing range checks better) and Hitec digital servos. Excellent servo quality and lower pricing.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:15 AM
DEF

I like my Futaba 6EXA. Lots of features. 175$ at LHS.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:37 AM
Henpecked

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Radio stuff

Ron,
As you know, I have a Prism 7. 3 model memory and an extra capacity batt. installed. Its been a good performer out the gate. You know I also have the Eclipse 7, both these with Spectra. They havent done any different than my overpriced Futaba stuff. In fact between these two radios I cam memorize 9 of my own planes and your trainer as well. At first the programs were intimidating but no more than any other new program I've tried learning. The access sequence is easy and setup to prevent accidental change in flight. Hitec is also very reasonable compared to others; from radios to servos. Go hitec!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:01 PM
RSprinkel
My Feedback: (3)

Hey all,

Thanks for all the opinions. Man I forgot that this thread was still alive and wanted to say I now have a Futaba 6XHS. Jim, yeah I know your Hitec equipment . Maybe my next choice as more planes hit the building tables. My Futaba just won't be able to handle them all.

Anyways again I thank you all for your replies and sorry this thread was still going. One good thing about this thread still going is it will also help out the newbies that are coming on board to see the opinions of others.

THANKS,