Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

servo power draw question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 PM
skiman762

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default servo power draw question

Trying to word this so it makes sense
Do higher torque servos draw more power then lower torque servo when the load on them is the same ?
like say you need 100oz to hold a rudder in a knife edge will a 250oz servo draw more power then a 150oz servo?

I'm looking at getting a set of high torque digitals and was thinking of getting the higher rating, figuring I'll be moving up to a bigger plane sooner or later and the price isn't really that much difference but I don't want to end up using a huge battery in my smaller plane if I don't have too.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 PM
alan0899

Default RE: servo power draw question

G'day Mate,
IMHO, high torque digitals, will draw about the same as lower torque digitals, at the same load, as long as the load is lower than said servo's max torque.
But if you over load lower torque servos, that's when the load really increases.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: alan0899

G'day Mate,
But if you over load lower torque servos, that's when the load really increases.
Not true. Once the servo stalls that is the maximum current the servo will draw. Since the lower torque servo usually has a highter armeture resistance it will use less current than the higher torque servo.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:41 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dirtybird

ORIGINAL: alan0899

G'day Mate,
Not true. Once the servo stalls that is the maximum current the servo will draw. Since the lower torque servo usually has a highter armeture resistance it will use less current than the higher torque servo.
What happens if it is held at stalled loads for a period of time ?
The load goes away!
As does the servo
to be followed by the model