Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How do I know which servo to use?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 01:08 AM
afskypilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I know which servo to use?

I am building a 1/4 scale Aeronca Champ and am wondering how do I determine which servos to use for the control surfaces? I have 6 year old Airtronics equipment. What are the determining factors in type of servo? What does the torque rating mean? What does speed mean? So many questions I know but I've never faced the possibility of using anything other than the standard servos before so I need to ask. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:42 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I know which servo to use?

I am no "expert" but I have had planes of many sizes. Here is what I can tell you. The torque ration is the amount of force the servo exerts on the servo arm. The higher the torque the more force. Larger planes with large surfaces need more torque to move the surfaces during flight. Speed equals the time the servo need to move from a resting state to full throw. The smaller number equals faster reacting servos. I was looking recently at an article about Tournament of Champions planes. Many of them where very large and many had more than 12 servos in some cases 2-3 servos per panel. If you go with multiple servos to do the job you will have to make sure they are matched and move the same amount in both directions.