Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

old servos

Old 04-01-2003, 03:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default old servos

Would the old fp-s28 Futaba servos be ok to use after changing the plugs? Thanks in advance for the reply.
rcflier
Old 04-01-2003, 04:58 AM
My Feedback: (133)

Default old servos

I wouldn't use them on a powered plane. Remember, they were bottom-of-the-line servos 15+ years ago, and were older technology. They were not the most reliable when new, and they don't get better - they just get older. Age makes the materials more brittle, and they were not SMT, so vibration is a real issue.

Bottom line - the cheapest Tower or Futaba servo is superior to the S28 and costs about 3x what the plugs to convert the old ones do. Spend the extra bux and don't have an airborne failure. I know lots of folks will disagree with me, but I've been there and done that (quit doing it 10 years ago!) and don't have any qualms about pitching those S28s. Just not worth the risk to my planes or the safety of myself and others.
Old 04-01-2003, 01:41 PM

Default old servos

I just retire them to the throttle only - have a bunch of them - they're working fine. You can pick up the connectors for less than a buck apiece on ebay.

Lynn
Old 04-02-2003, 12:30 AM

Default old servos

How is SMT an advantage over non SMT with a lot of vibration? I can think of absolutely no reason to back up that claim.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:59 AM

Default old servos

Just my opinion here, but non-SMT components are heavier, and put more stress on the connections when they vibrate. Since SMT components are mounted directly to the surface (as the name implies), they tend not to vibrate independantly from the circuit board, thus no stress.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:34 AM

Default old servos

That makes no real sense though. Has anyone in the history of RC'ing ever had a solder joint come lose on a circuit board due to vibration that wasn't caused by a crappy soldering job? EVER? If someone can document a single occurrence of this happening I'd be glad to say SMT could be claimed to be more vibration resistant. It's just seems to me like they're advertising something as a cure to a problem that doesn't actually occur.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:06 AM

Default old servos

I'll be the first to admit I haven't seen vibration related solder failure in RC, but I HAVE seen it in industrial robotics applications, and automotive electronics. Both of these environments are subjected to high vibrations, and are benefiting from SMT technology to reduce the vibration related failures. Besides, the vibration can also cause failures within the component itself, but the less mass there is, the less susceptible it is to vibration.

It's a pure matter of physics.