Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spektrum users please help

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 03:16 PM
esc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum users please help

Hi Guys,

Today I took delivery of a brand new DX7, unfortunately the LHS sent me the Heli version instead of the aeroplane one.

I fly mostly 3D planes, but am just getting into helicopters on my G3.5 simulator. I can do all the basics including some aerobatics, but I am a long way off being in the flight class I think of myself with the fixed wing planes. I am not sure when I might actually buy a helicopter, if at all. But I have to say I have had my eyes opened to their possibilities and may well progress down that route in the future

My main question is this - should I send it back and exchange it for the aeroplane version? Have I lost or gained anything by keeping or exchanging it if I don't adopt helicopters. What differences are there in the programming facilities?

Why are there two version anyway when the aeroplane version has helicopter programming as well?

I can see that the switch configuration is different on the front panel and on the top of the unit. Unfortunately, helicopter speak does not mean much to me at the moment and things like throttle curves, etc, are a foreign language.

As I am as yet totally unfamiliar with the radio programming, could I set the Heli switches to carry out the missing aeroplane functions?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Dave
Old 11-21-2007, 03:59 PM
onewasp

Default RE: Spektrum users please help

The answer is "just different".
When you turn it on it will default to the Heli selection. You can then select Acro and go on.
That together with the switch positions are "it".

It is the same radio with the same functions save for those noted.

Now------do you send it back or keep it? Solely your call.

I have read (not seen but read) where some like the switch locations for their fixed wings and have ordered the Heli version for that reason. I do not happen to be one of them.

Strictly a personal decision
Old 11-21-2007, 04:12 PM
jmohn

The heli one has a smooth stick gimbels and the airplane one has ratching gimbels on the left side. Otherwise it's just the names on the switches that are different. They both have all the same programing.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:52 PM
esc

Thanks for replying guys,

Hmm - food for thought!

As I am not yet set in my ways, I might just keep it as it is. There is always the possibility that I will get a Heli in future and the way the Tx is configured may make that transition easier. I dont think that it will cause me any concerns regarding 3D & other planes I fly.

Jmohn, you are the second person to respond to my posts that has mentioned the throttle yoke. The other gentleman preferred the feel of the Heli throttle to the plane one. I might just fall into that category myself.

As this radio is a Xmas present I can't do too much playing about with it, so I must ask this question of you - are all the switches programmable, can you make the 3-way selector helicopter mode switch into a 3-position flap switch?

Regards,

Dave
Old 11-21-2007, 05:26 PM
onewasp

Regarding the smooth vs ratcheted throttle the plate to convert one to the other is included in the hardware package.

Yes on the 3 position switch.

As previously stated the programming is identical-------. Therefore if you select flaps then they are on the three position switch. (regardless of the label) You are of course in Acro programming.

Rates can be combined on any one of the three rate switches or left in the individual positions.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:43 PM
esc

Oneswap,

There was no hardware package - I bought just the Tx, charger and an AR6200 receiver, it was not a full set up. I suppose I lost out on the hardware, but gained on getting just what I wanted. It's OK though I am quite happy with the feel of the heli throttle stick.

Is there anything more in this pack?

To tell the truth, this is my very first computer radio. Up to now I have been using an old Sanwa Tx and various receivers on 35MHz (UK) without any problems or glitches. When it comes to mixing - I have done all that with my thumbs. I think I will have a steep and quick learning curve to contend with :-)

Any suggestions, do's/don'ts, you care to make that might make this step into the current century a bit easier would be most welcome.

Regards,

Dave
Old 11-21-2007, 07:34 PM
onewasp

No, just the servo hardware and the throttle plate.

In the US the DX7 is not available from Horizon without servos. Some distributors take them out and sell it without servos, however in so doing they remove the additional throttle plate.

If you wish, contact Mac_Man_UK at MacGregors(sp?) he can get you a throttle plate as well as answer programming questions. Tony is a good man----try it, he is quite knowledgeable and seems eager to help. The programming is very similar to the US JR7202 (your JR 2702???)

Charge it and start programming. You can tell if your programming works by going to the servo monitor screen and then using your program while looking at the appropriate servo lines.

Wish you luck-------it isn't that hard but like anything "computer" can drive you to drink!
At least at first------[X(]
Old 11-22-2007, 02:16 AM
esc

Thank you everyone, you've helped me decide - I am going to keep the Heli version.

Oneswap, I believe I have talked to Tony in the past about the 2702, and you are right he is a nice guy. Great tip.

Regards,

Dave
Old 11-22-2007, 09:52 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

For flying 3d the smooth throttle is better. I've converted several transmitters for the plank guys at our field after they fly my Funtana with the smooth throttle on my heli radio.