Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Optical Coupled Servos ???

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2003, 08:57 AM
Ruben
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optical Coupled Servos ???

Have any of you had any experience with running an optical glitch buster with seperate batterypack for the servos? I bought 2 from EMS for two models and one was bad out of the box. Was it just my bum luck or are they generally pretty reliable? Are there any problems to look out for? Thanks for any info. Ruben

Old 04-04-2003, 09:47 AM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have one of the Jomar/EMS optoisolators and have used it for several years with no problems.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:04 PM
Ruben

IflyJ3, Thanks for the reply. Question, do you run it with a separate battery pack.? If a 5 cel pack into the Opto-Isolator do you have a regulator in the line? Lots of questions I know--ha! Thanks again, Ruben
Old 04-04-2003, 09:04 PM
iflyj3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ruben
IflyJ3, Thanks for the reply. Question, do you run it with a separate battery pack.? If a 5 cel pack into the Opto-Isolator do you have a regulator in the line? Lots of questions I know--ha! Thanks again, Ruben
I use two separate packs, one small one for the Rx and a larger pack for the servos. I am using 4 cell packs. The reason I used the isolator is that the system is in a G62 powered 14 foot Mud Duck with dual servos on every surface. These are connected together with about 100 feet of servo wire. I have not tried it without the isolator.

If you use a five cell pack I could see no reason to use a regulator.

Dan
Old 04-06-2003, 02:43 AM
Forgues Research

Originally posted by IFLYJ3
I use two separate packs, one small one for the Rx and a larger pack for the servos. I am using 4 cell packs. The reason I used the isolator is that the system is in a G62 powered 14 foot Mud Duck with dual servos on every surface. These are connected together with about 100 feet of servo wire. I have not tried it without the isolator.

If you use a five cell pack I could see no reason to use a regulator.

Dan
Long leads, have a look here Optical system
Old 04-06-2003, 03:05 AM
Cincinnati Joe

Default Glitch Buster

I designed the EMS/JOMAR Glitch Buster back in 1978 for use in a Nosen 310. It solved many problems, and I've used them in all my large aircraft ever since. They've solved problems in literally hundreds of planes that nothing else would cure. The product is now in production for it's 25th year, and the only thing that's changed is the parts that it's made of and it went from 6 to 8 channels. I recommend using a small AAA NiMH pack on athe reciever, and 5 cell large capacity pack on servos, with 5 amp Schottky diodes placed reverse biased across each cell. This covers you in the event of an OPEN cell (rare, but possible) and 5 cells covers you in the event of a SHORTED cell (most common failure mode). The next issue of RC Excellence will have a discussion about this very topic... keep your eyes open!!

Safe flying!
Old 04-06-2003, 08:26 AM
Ruben

Default Thanks for Info, Etc.

Great replys and plent of info. I just put a glitchbuster in a Pitts with 4 cells on RX and 5 cells on servos with no 6 V regulator on the servos. Have not got it flying yet. I'm working on a Flair Stearman with Seidel 7 cyl. radial, on board McDaniel glow and may try the fibre optic cable on it. Thanks again for all the good stuff. Ruben