Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Brands

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2003, 02:24 PM
Boeing
My Feedback: (145)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Brands

At the risk of prolonging what appears to be an ongoing discussion, I can't seem to find the root cause or the reason for all the bashing of the HiTec servos.
I'm getting ready to equip a 35% Extra and trying to make a good decision on the brand of servos to install in this bird.
From the discussion I've been following on RCU, it would tell me to stay away from the HiTec servos and only consider JR or Futaba since they have no malfunctions. That may be an overstatement of the fact since any electro-mechancial device is subject to failure.
When it comes to a discussion of which servo is best, could we be dealing with a Ford/Chevy type discussion? Or, could it be that a small number of people have had bad experiences with HiTec and they have make it their personal cursade to put the illness on the HiTec servo?
I sure want to make a good decision for this high priced aircraft!!
Old 04-05-2003, 02:50 PM
CAP232CM
My Feedback: (8)

Default Servo Brands

"From the discussion I've been following on RCU, it would tell me to stay away from the HiTec servos and only consider JR or Futaba since they have no malfunctions"

Well I hate to burst your bubble but ALL servos can and will fail some point in time. You apparently haven't done much research to back up your statement. I would not hesitate to use Hitec servos in any size airplane as a matter of fact I just put 10 Hitec 5945's in my 33% Cap 232.

Why do people keep bringing this topic up. I'm so sick of hearing it. Buy what ever brand you think will win and take it to the craps table, what ever # it lands on that's the servo you buy. Get it bud!
Old 04-05-2003, 04:14 PM
sea157
My Feedback: (30)

Default Servo Brands

I read the same posts about Hitec servos.
I am glad to see these posts because they are scaring people into selling there new Hitec servos for almost 1/2 there price.
When I see this I buy them up!
As far as I am concerned Hitec has JR and Futaba beat hands down!
Hitec digital servos seem to hold better, make less noise, use less power and have a better price then either JR or Futaba.
I never had any trouble with a Hitec servo yet, not to say I might not sometime.

Just my 2 cents

Steve
Old 04-05-2003, 10:52 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Default Servo Brands

Boeing,
Every brand has problems sometimes. JR had to recall a whole range of digital servos in the past. Futaba discontinued the 9205 suddenly ... and so it goes...
Old 04-06-2003, 04:31 AM
flyin_hot

Default Servo Brands

Isolated incidents of failure are not uncommon with ANY device. Whether it's electrical, mechanical, a combination of both. I think what you are seeing is the larger failure rate. A cheaper product will generally have a higher failure rate. It's pretty obvious why...there is less technology, and testing that goes into them. The parts, quality control, and methods of manufacturing are usually cheaper too. You don't get something for nothing. I learned a long time ago not to skimp on airborne radio equipment...it just doesn't pay. These planes are too expensive and too time consuming to have a failure destroy them. Yes it can happen with anything we fly, but I try to go with the best odds possible. I don't fly equipment that is tested through users failures. I don't fly equipment that has 'mysterious unexplained modes', like in air re-centering, or sleep modes. Even if you get a product with known issues for half-price is it worth an airplane? Not mine!