Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Preliminary 14MZ-2.4GHz pre-flight and flying tests so far.

Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Preliminary 14MZ-2.4GHz pre-flight and flying tests so far.

Old 01-04-2008, 10:08 PM
tkilwein

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Preliminary 14MZ-2.4GHz pre-flight and flying tests so far.

Received my NEW TOY, it was waiting for me!

Package it arrived in was good from my viewpoint. Tower really packed the H out of it. Not complaining here.
The tx module is smaller than I thought. With Towers packaging, no way this will get damaged.
Both the TX module and RX were packed in separate foam sheets with instructions in the bottom of the box.
You also get another DIDDLE stick( same as in the 14MZ tool set), a plastic stick would be fine, as all you do with it is push a button to bind the RX. But it is nice, in case your one with the transmitter gets lost or damaged. I am now collecting several of them.

The antenna will rotate only 90 degrees in both the rotation and bend (X - Y planes). Bend the antenna at some angle and then rotate the base, only 90degrees. Good thing here as you do not want to rotate to twisting the cable off.

The current version TX case needs to have the foam cut out by the TX handle on the right side for the antenna, easy to do.

Last night I upgraded my TX to the official code on the Futaba site, all went fine, TX functions on 72MHz
with no problems, same as before.
First thing was to verify the TX reconized the new module. Followed the included instructions, easy.
No problem came up and the wrong freq module screen came up.
Changed the freq to 2.4 multi mode for the new test model with 12 servos configured off the 2 sticks. J1=3, J2=3, J3=3, J4=3 servos each.
Powered up the RX with 12 mini-standard servos in, these are not blazing fast, HS-81, Hobbico CS-11, JR NES241, GWS naro and finally Futaba 9201, 9152's. I will test again with 8 - HS5955TG's in a 36% plane with DA100 running and smoke pump on tomorrow.

The rx just blinked green at me, it was not binded.
I had to bind the RX to the TX, very simple push the button for 2-3 seconds and all done. worked flawlessly.
Nice leds, easy to see for quick indicator. WIll check in bright daylight if not cloudy or gloomy tomorrow.
RX binded now (CA anyone?) and it was off to the races.

Did the wiggle test, all servos moving smooth and nice.
Executed the servo movement test. All servos moving smooth and not jerky.
Everything works as expected.
Tomorrow I will test with 8 HS5955TG's for the blazing speed test.

Now the BIG ONE!
The desk PC up and running massive data xfer over the WIFI router and WIFI hubs to my laptop WIFI.
Two cordless 2.4GHz phones on and connected.
Cell Phone on and connected.
ALL the ABOVE devices are within 2-4 feet of the RX, all servos move nicely with both stick and servo test.
Moved to ~ 30ft from the RX setup, still good.

Turned TX on and executed the Transmit ok.
Went in the system menu and attempted to do the range test with the above equipment still on and running.
The TX screen then shows following: (This step is WRONG as I find out).

Currently transmitting (RF ON)
Range check is unavailble

Well IDIOT (me here), do not activate the (TX transmit on) first, say no and then go into the system menu and do the range test. I have a few things to learn.

Again with all the equipment-devices above running and active.
All servos moved smooth and nice, no drop outs of glitchy movements on ALL 12 servos.
Again ~30ft and no problems, all 12 servos still working fine, no glitches or jerky movement.

Next test:
Another BIG ONE!
Using calibrated power supply, running the servo tests first then second wiggling the sticks(two tests here), I then proceeded to LOWER the power voltage: Power lead wires are less than ~9inches of 20 gauge wire.
5.2, 5.0, 4.8, 4.6, 4.4, 4.2, 4.0, 3.8, 3.6, 3.4, (3.2Volts) OOP's, Very NICE!
At 3.4 to 3.2 the power lead losses with servo current drain, etc the RX then dropped out. 3.4VOLTS!!
Remember there is 12 servos running here.
Repeated this two times running the servo tests.
Repeated this two times wiggling the sticks.
Again at ~3.4 to 3.2v the rx stops working. NOT TO SHABBY!
Seems Futaba does not have a issue here like another vendor. I have my guess why, but I will leave it.

Let the servo test run for 10 minutes, again no problems.
Works as expected.

Time is running out tonight.
I have more tests to do but it is looking VERY GOOD at this time.
Still has to pass a few more tests I can do, along with the flight testing this weekend.
I need to verify that the 14 G3fasst RX will only respond to the TX it is bond to, I need to have a friend help me here with his TX, I need two Futaba TX's for this. Also verify the other vendor's TX does not make RX glitchy. I do not expect a problem from the above tests done so far.
Looks like I will be placing a 6014 RX on backorder shortly. The features/delta between a (8 fasst) to a
(14 G3fasst) RX is worth the extra $ IMO at this time.

Spectrum analyzer checks - looks to be done later.

SW code issues will be something I am not going to focus a lot on at this time, as these will be worked out.
Futaba say's they are working SW on as we speak.

I will update as more tests - flying occurs.
GO Futaba!
Worth the wait, long as it seems. I hope they get the supply moving for all soon.
I did not have to neuter my 14MZ to 8 channels and a dingleberry cable sticking out.

Disclaimer: These are my first hand experiences at this time!

DAY 2
The first test bed, Gentle lady electric glider with PJS1500, custom heatsink motor mount, APC13x7, CC85HV, Medusa 3.5A reg and with 11 extra servos moving also.

Ground check.
Test run full-moving throttle LOOK 87AMPS at 25Volts = 2100+ WATTS of stupid power, the RX is within 7-8 inches of everything and works fine even with the range check test at ~30 feet.
Ran the servo test and let it do it's thing for ~2 minutes, warmed up the motor and heat sink. I had to stop, I burnt one motor up already due to brass balls. Racing my electric gentle lady glider against a 46 gas pattern plane. He beat me in the turns but not on the straight. I had the wing tips flapping like ??? on the straights. The motor let the smoke out on the last leg.
The setup works as advertized.

First flight.
Got in one short 7 minute flight on the hill side here. First time I flew in the open park spaces.
No problems, hard to tell the latency with the glider, but no glitches. only running 3 channels.

[img][/img]

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49086.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	842446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65710.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	842447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty66476.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	842448   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bv60036.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	842449  
Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 PM
tkilwein

Default RE: Preliminary 14MZ-2.4GHz pre-flight tests so far.

I got in 3+ solid hours of ROCK solid flying in this morning. That's actual flight time counted when wheels leave the ground to touching for landing.
28F, windy and rain-snowing ocassionally. Snow is bad for 2.4GHZ freq as it reduces the signal, same as satellite TV. Used the RAYDIOWARM TX glove to protect the TX and keep it and hands warm.
2+hours of flight time in the glider and 1 hour flight time in the Banchee. Used two TX batteries up on this
day out flying.
Charging batteries as fast as the triton and tp1010c could.
Go up come down change batteries and go up again and repeat for a little over 3.5 hours of time.
I had to sit in the truck with the heater on a few times to warm my feet.

Flying in the snow with the glider as high as I could see it and no issues.

Here's a biggie, range test to over 400+ ft and still going.

""" I do not recommend this and will only do this one time """, I verified this would work on the ground 10 times before doing it in the air.
I only did it because I was the only one around as far as I could see, no traffic, no people, etc, all I had too loose was the glider and fail safe was set to go into a hard up and right turn with throttle cut. It would drop out of the sky into the lake or open space.
Again I verified going from range test to full power caused no control issues.
I power on and go into range test mode and take off (yes take off) flew for ~>500ft straight up and things started to not work right, I then exited the range test to normal power and continued to fly.
The range test output could be reduced a little more. 4-500ft ground check is a lot, and this is with the antenna pointed to the plane.
This glider will go straight up as it has over 2100+WATTS of stupid fun power to a 2lb 8oz plane. Thats a 6c 3300mah lipo strapped on the center wing

Flying the Banchee I did notice a quicker stick to servo-plane movement, controls were quick and responsive. I am only a casual flyer and I can tell, so a hot shot should be able to critic more.

Changing one model to another the trims get messed with is the only item so far and that is SW and Futaba is working on changes for the next release to fix I hope.

Definately looks like a 6014 backorder coming up.

The white spots in one of the pictures is snow.

The RX is next to the servos, Medusa 3.5A reg and CC85HV speed controller exactly as shown in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qn38272.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	844093   Click image for larger version

Name:	To43744.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	844094   Click image for larger version

Name:	In28361.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	844095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qk22563.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	844096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zk69197.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	184.3 KB
ID:	844097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hx32451.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	844098  
Old 01-06-2008, 06:12 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Preliminary 14MZ-2.4GHz pre-flight tests so far.

Spent a very nice afternoon at our field in Germantown MD (this is JANUARY???), had several flights on my Hostetler 35% Pitts/3W106 combo with the new 14MZ 2.4GHz setup. Popped out the 5014 Rx, plugged each lead into the matching number on the 6014, switched to the 2.4 band (had already tested this outside the plane after downloading the new SW), and that was it .. nothing else touched.

Range check was solid at well over 60 paces, more like 100, then flew many flights, no issues at all.

The "JR boys" were all abuzz about the alleged FASST shootdown incident, which I just read about here on RCU moments ago .. sure would like to know what was going on there.... I am one of the few Futaba guys at my field, and I do get a bit tired of all the JR rah rah, so I just smiled and I joked that JR depended on nonsense FUD from internet trolls to stir up bad feelings since their equipment is technically inferior ... haha.

(self-edited ill-advised rant on Futaba vs. JR attitudes on customer support)

Anyway, for what it's worth .. not so much data as above, but some really good old fashined aerobatic flying...and delighted with the new upgrade for the 14MZ.

Dave
Old 01-07-2008, 10:03 PM
tkilwein

Default RE: Preliminary 14MZ-2.4GHz pre-flight and flying tests so far.

DAY 4 update

Flew for ~30 minutes today in a light snow with no problems on 2.4 in the banchee model #11.
Snowing again. Ski-floats tomorrow!
Still rock solid!

Found minor SW bug,in the model # ordering while switching from 2.4 back to 72, Again I am not to worried as Futaba is working on SW. This did not affect the model configuration-setup info, just load and fly. NOTE: was not able reproduce.

NOTE I DID NOT READ THE DOC IN THE SW PACKAGE THIS IS NORMAL. I FEEL STUPID ON THIS ONE.
THIS IS NOT A ISSUE, JUST ME NOT READING ALL DOCUMENTATION.

The HW is functioning very well so far from my experiences.
The minor SW issues are not that bad. SW is easy to update. Another reason to buy the 12-14 series.
I design electronic hardware for a living and what I see so far is reasonable for early SW releases.
I think Futaba or Tower wanted year end $$ numbers to be better, otherwise the hardware would still be at Futaba until the SW was done.
I feel for Bax and Krysta on the support end, I hope they had a great holiday!
I prefer the oppertunity to hammer the HW and work around the minor SW issues I have seen so far.
SW code loads are easy to do.
I would have offered to be a BETA USER under NDA if they would let people do so. Testing a product out can be fun.

I am not disapointed at all in the 14MZ -2.4 modules, going to get ~6 more flying hours and then place the backorder for another 6014.
Glad I waited!
Old 01-07-2008, 10:39 PM
avsjr

Nice test reports!!!

I received the TM-14 and 6014 last Thursday, and updated the software Thursday night - good timing! Been using the 6 channel tx and 2 606 receivers all summer without one glitch. Decided to test the module in my 12Z on the two electrics I fly - 3D HS Extra 300 and E-flight Mini-X - the Mini-X flew without any trim adjustments at all. The Extra needed some down trim and right aileron, and was then in perfect flight trim again. Next step was the 3 year old Funtana 90 with YS-110 - which was set up as a test bed for the 72 mhz 5014 and 12Z. Just switched the receivers and went flying - however took 6 clicks of down, but then it was right back where it was on the 72 Mhz G3 receiver. Thought at first I had the trim problem that has been reported with the 14Z, but that does not seem to be a problem with the 12Z software.

Right now I am really happy with the setup, and glad I waited also. I ordered the module and receiver June 1st, and almost cancelled it a number of times.

Andy S.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 PM
ww2birds
My Feedback: (14)

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

The SW issue that has been identified is trims not being reset as models are changed. They say it will be fixed in the Jan 8 update.

The model ordering used to be oldest first, now it seems to be newest first, which is better but not as good as being able to set the order to your preference!

Dave
Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 PM
MaJ. Woody
My Feedback: (28)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a new 12 FGA FASST with 1.3 software and read the above thread so I did an experiment. I copied an existing model in the TX....creating a second. I then moved the elevator trim to full up and the rudder to full left. Next I switched back to the original model and the elevator and rudder were in their normal positions. I switched back to the copied model and still had the full up elevator trim and full left rudder trim. I went back and forth between the two model memories several times with the same results. It appears that my system does not have this issue. additionally Futabas website has the update for the 14MZ for this issue not the 12FGA.

Dom
Old 01-08-2008, 09:38 PM
tkilwein

Day 5

Got in another ~10 minutes then frooze my A off. Rock solid so far. Found the update on the web and downloaded and installed.

Trim issue fixed!
Old 01-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Bill Martins

tkilwein, I PM'd you.

Bill
Old 01-10-2008, 07:43 PM
tkilwein

Hi Bill,

Check PM same info below.

Here is a link.

http://www.ripmax.com/software_upgrade_14mz.asp
Old 01-10-2008, 08:18 PM
wingburner
My Feedback: (17)

My module and rcvr should be here anyday for my new 14mz..Nice to see someone that is already flying with this..Great info guys, i'm stoked about trying this out as it will be my first try at 2.4, thanks

Jack
Old 01-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Bill Martins

Thanks Tkilwein,

I got it working and linked a 7 channel receiver as well.

Everything seems to be working fine.

Again thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Bill
Old 01-11-2008, 01:24 PM
heraldoboldrin

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks tkilwein

I think i can buy the 2,4G and use in my expensive jets...

Thanks

Heraldo
Old 01-16-2008, 06:57 PM
Fun2Fly3D
My Feedback: (9)

If anyone has the opportunity could you please place your cell phone on top of your receiver and call it while transmitting and check for ANY noticable interference? I have performed this on 4 different FASST systems. three 14mz, TM-14 FASST, 6014 RX and one 9c, tm-7, 6017 RX same cell phone for all tests. NEXTEL/Sprint blackberry. One of the 14mz combos had major problems. Have not had the opportunity to check each tx with each rx yet.

Thanks
V
Old 01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Fun2Fly3D

correction on previous post.

It was a 607 RX not a 6017

Thanks
V
Old 01-16-2008, 08:03 PM
shakes268

It might be a problem if you want to call the pilot that's flying your plane but unless you're flying near a microwave tower I think things will be perfectly fine.

12FGA, TM-14, R606FS receiver in one of my glow planes.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:26 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

That might not be a fair test putting the phone on the RX, other things might come into play that normally wouldn't happen.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:37 PM
heraldoboldrin

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

i agree.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:44 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My current cell phone says it's using 1.9Ghz so I don't think it will have any affect...
Old 01-16-2008, 09:13 PM
tkilwein

In my first post I had my cell phone on and connected along with other wireless devices ~2-4ft away with no hickups using 12 mini-standard servos running on my 6014 RX.
There is testing-abuse and ABUSE, placing a cell phone directly on top of the RX is ABUSE and will never occur when I am flying.
The cell phone I used is a Nokia 6010,2 wireless home phones, Linksys and Actiontec wireless routers and laptop wireless plugin adapters also built-in wireless.

I think placing any cell phone directly on any vendors RX, may - will cause problems.
The 14mz 2.4 TX module affected the phones as a blip of noise occurring quickly as it changed freq.

I have ~8+hours on my 2.4 module and it has been nothing but SWEET.
I am VERY HAPPY with my setup.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:23 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Getting a wireless call while flying is another interesting testing possibility.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Fun2Fly3D

Thanks for the responses. I first noticed a problem when I had my TX about 1-2 feet from my rx. I was installing the rx into a 30% gasser, my cell phone was on my hip. It rang and I immediately noticed significant jittering. (I video taped it but its 102meg). The phone was NOT between TX and RX. I conducted the same test with the three systems listed above. All three returned no noticeable interference. (NONE...they were rock solid) During one test the person said lets just set the phone on the RX and see what happens.... again... no noticeable interference. I then set the cell phone on the other RX's and there was no notable interference.

I agree that this is totally extreme and I believe that the problem is specific to me and not futaba's 2.4 technology. My cell carrier in my are also uses 1.9ghz. I could see a possible but unlikely "swamping" of the signal, BUT, I am concerned that it only occurs on my system and that I may have a problem with MY equipment. I have flown futaba for 25yrs and am only trying to troubleshoot MY specific problem.

The equipment is at Futaba getting looked over right now.

Thanks again,

V

Old 01-16-2008, 10:26 PM
frankg11

I thought that I would try this test also. Since I am a big 2048 G3 enthusiast and it looked like the 2.4 system will solve a couple of problems with no loss of resolution. So here is the results.

I tired this test with my 14mz, TM-14 and the 6014. I have a ATT Blackjack. Just tried it in my Heli. Heli has 601 Gyro, GV-1, Duralite Regulator running 5.3 volts. (Switching Regulator).

I set the Cell Phone directly on the receiver on the receiver and call the phone from my home wireless system. (Seimens System). I also have a AppleTalk wireless network running in the house.

I just tried this for fun since I have everything laying on the floor.

Results: Rock Solid no glitches, happy with the outcome.

It's worth being fair and trying the test even if it's excessive. I suspect this guy is trying to diagnose a problem he is having and using extreme conditions to test and asking for help and information as to your experiences

Isn't this what these forums are about? I always hope to find useful bits of information and help here not sarcasm and dissent.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:28 PM
bgold

I know a lot more about the cell phone incident and what he's trying to find out. Earlier that day his brand new 14mz 2.4 module and receiver crashed his EF 87" Yak on it's, the radio's, first flight. He started yelling "I haven't got it , I haven't got it" and four of us looked up and watched the plane wing rock from about 70 degrees right to 70 degrees left back and forth as it decsended at about a 20 degree angle into the ground. When we got it back to the bench everything seemed to work and the phone interferance was discovered later than day. This was the test bed before he put it in his 35% Yak. While the plane was on the bench and he was trying to figure out what could be going on his phone rang and as soon as he answered his radio went nuts. He called me to check my 2.4 Fasst ( I'm the 9C with the TM7 & 607 rx) to see if this was normal, mine is un-effected by my cell phone and it was the next day he actually set his phone on my receiver which incidently has the receiver mounted on a EQ-10 power expander. No problems were caused by his phone on my radio, it just interferes with his radio. We're both Futaba lovers and he's just looking for answers and if somethinng is wrong with his equipment, not Futaba's system. The question was has anyone else noticed cell phone interference with there 2.4 Fasst system
Old 01-17-2008, 06:55 PM
tkilwein

Can he duplicate it again?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.