Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo lead chafing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 01:48 PM
john316

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo lead chafing

Are the long servo leads now in use on large aircraft causing any problems with wire chafing? I was amazed recently by how quickly the exposed edge of a 1/16 inch thick plywood former will saw through the pvc insulation around a servo lead. This could potentially lead to a disaster if two adjacent wires are abraded to the point that a short circuit occurs. Some servo leads are buried in the fuselage or wing and canot be easily inspected. I am curious if anyone else has experienced problems with this, I will certainly pay more attention to wire routing and securing in the future.
Old 04-10-2003, 04:06 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Servo lead chafing

I personally have not had a problem with chaffing, but I run the wires through tubes in the fuse. I don't just let them run through the bulkheads. The tubes are different in various planes, but all serve the same purpose.
Old 05-07-2010, 08:27 AM
tomfiorentino

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo lead chafing

Hey guys,

This is an old post, I know, but it is the only thing I can find on the subject and it looks like it never went too far....I didn't want to start a new thread.

Anyway, has there been any discussion on this elsewhere that I can refer to? I'm just about done with my Aeroworks 260 (50cc) and am a little concerned about the servo wires and extensions being routed through the holes in the plywood bulkheads. I guess it is mostly in the dual elevator servos but it applies in other spots as well.

Is servo wire chaffing a real problem or am I worrying about a non-issue?

Thanks,
Tom