Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

"Quid"? Isn't that British money?
Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
GrayUK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, 'Quid' is slang for a Pound £

£50.00 would be 50 Quid.

Old 01-15-2008, 02:40 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Probably we will never hear a thing from Futaba regarding the problem.

But then one will think whether Futaba's hopping method is as good as Spectrum's exclusive 2 channel method. At least in the Spectrum case, one TX will not force into another TX's 2 channels, even though both Tx' have the same GUID? Am I missing something?

Maybe we can ask Futaba what is the likehood that one Futaba TX can operate a receiver bound to another Futaba TX, or any 2.4Ghz transmission devices?
Old 01-15-2008, 02:48 PM
JimBot

Thanks br@m - food for thought.

Jim
Old 01-15-2008, 03:18 PM
DougV

Well, Before the freq hopping (Channel) starts, the ID's for the rx and tx needs to match.

I think is two different steps here.

Doug.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:02 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: DougV

Well, Before the freq hopping (Channel) starts, the ID's for the rx and tx needs to match.

I think is two different steps here.

Doug.
The Futaba TX doesn't even care if a RX is present or not. It's gonna hop on its merry way. The Spektrum units also don't know if there is a RX present. ONE-way communication.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:04 PM
summerwind

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: nonstoprc

Probably we will never hear a thing from Futaba regarding the problem.

any of the original posters here heard anything?
Old 01-15-2008, 04:09 PM
Julez

IF (hypothetically speaking) this faulty GUID value is caused, as suggested by grayUK earlier, by user-configuration of the Tx in some way overriding the hard-coded GUID with a zero value, then it is easy to see why the modules will not be affected.
The transmitter CPU and the RF module of the 6ex are physically separated. The only connection are 2 power cables and a signal cable for the analog PPM pulsetrain, which is sampeled by the RF module.

Thus, the possibility, that the TX computer is able to affect the RF module programming, is as likely as your computer affecting the programming of a video camera, that takes a video clip of the screen.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:03 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Summerwind,

I am sure Futaba worldwide will close down after hearing of your recent order cancellation.

Want some cheese with that whine????

Greg
Old 01-15-2008, 05:18 PM
summerwind

wonder if they will at least make sure that future 2.4 radios will be checked.
i've got my order for a 12FG 2.4 in since Dec., but will be waiting as i am Mode I. can't wait to see it.......right now i'm using the 6EX and have had no issues whatsoever.

Old 01-15-2008, 07:34 PM
pilotpete2

Can't you easily convert the 12FG to any mode you want, as is the case with most other Futaba radios??
Pete
Old 01-15-2008, 07:48 PM
summerwind

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Can't you easily convert the 12FG to any mode you want, as is the case with most other Futaba radios??
Pete
i guess i could, but talking to Bax, he suggested to get the Mode I version...........it's not as easy to change stick and ratchets as is the 7C or 6EX.
and to get the most of the 12FG's accuracy, the radio would need the sticks recalibrated....................
Old 01-15-2008, 08:12 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: summerwind

ORIGINAL: pilotpete2

Pete
i guess i could, but talking to Bax, he suggested to get the Mode I version...........it's not as easy to change stick and ratchets as is the 7C or 6EX.
and to get the most of the 12FG's accuracy, the radio would need the sticks recalibrated....................
Just wait a little bit longer and do it the right way.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:17 PM
pilotpete2

Best of luck with the 12FG. I look forward to fondling, er, I mean holding one next month at the WRAM show in White Plains, NY[8D]
Pete
Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 AM
Julez

Ok, now I am affected, too, and two other german users as well.
My case:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...89#post8937989

Meanwhile, one off the affected countrymen spoke to robbe, and got the following information:

- Yes, there is a problem. Press releases will be issued soon.

- The problem can be caused by either deep- discharging the battery, or by switching the TX on and off fast. (switch bounce)

- Apparently, some ZGUID TXes were delivered.

- The problem affects both the 6ex, the 7C and the TM7 module.

- Newly delivered recievers have the ZGUID! If they work with a given transmitter directly without binding, the transmitter has the ZGUID problem.

- When multiple Fasst systems are used, it makes sense for the pilots to contact each other.

- Should a system suddenly not work anymore with its recievers (my case), you should check the TX like mentioned above and be cautious while flying.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:51 AM
dragoonpvw
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: Julez

Ok, now I am affected, too, and two other german users as well.
My case:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...89#post8937989

Meanwhile, one off the affected countrymen spoke to robbe, and got the following information:

- Yes, there is a problem. Press releases will be issued soon.

- The problem can be caused by either deep- discharging the battery, or by switching the TX on and off fast. (switch bounce)

- Apparently, some ZGUID TXes were delivered.

- The problem affects both the 6ex, the 7C and the TM7 module.

- Newly delivered recievers have the ZGUID! If they work with a given transmitter directly without binding, the transmitter has the ZGUID problem.

- When multiple Fasst systems are used, it makes sense for the pilots to contact each other.

- Should a system suddenly not work anymore with its recievers (my case), you should check the TX like mentioned above and be cautious while flying.
Just checking.
Which of the information above came from Directly from Robbe. Each line, or just the (Yes, there is a problem. Press releases will be issued soon.)
thanks
Paul
Old 01-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Julez

All the listed points above are a translation of what a german user posted in a group here. He has a faulty 7C, and claimed he had a lengthy phone conversation with robbe, during which he learned about those facts. If the 2nd hand information is true, then all the points come directly from robbe.

Glad I could help[8D]
Old 01-16-2008, 03:46 PM
frenchie79

Should a system suddenly not work anymore with its recievers (my case), you should check the TX like mentioned above and be cautious while flying.
Be cautious while flying-WHAT THE H$LL HECK DOES THAT MEAN?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:20 PM
GrayUK

I know it is of no conciliation but remember, if you do NOT have a faulty TX (only 6 ex and 7C have any record at the moment) you are fine and will not be interfered with even if a faulty set switches on.
You can have a faulty set and fly perfectly safely, providing no one else has one.
So, current info (from a very reliable source) says that the 12 and 14 units do NOT suffer from the 0000 GUID. This means you are safe, even if 1 or 2 (or more) faulty sets are present.

The 7 and 8 modules can theoretically suffer the same problem but due to how they work it is far more unlikely (the 6ex and 7c is very unlikely anyway). No recorded case has been found even in checked stock at Futaba and others.

So at present the only risk is if 2 faulty sets are at the same field and try to fly together.
As I indicated earlier, a quick check of these sets on the ground can confirm that you do not have TWO faulty sets present (or do as the case may be).
This is a temporary and interim 'check' until Futaba, Hobbico, Ripmax, Robbe and others make the announcement and decide what action is to be taken.
I am informed that this announcement will be very, very soon (I am expecting before the end of the week).

For the moment 14,12, 8 and 7 module users can continue as normal, if you want to be ultra cautious then check the 7 and 8 modules as well.

As for 6ex and 7C just ensure checks are made at your field and then before any newcomer switches on.

Paul
Old 01-16-2008, 04:47 PM
AIRPLANENUTS
My Feedback: (2)

Paul,

What about the 607 FASST receivers? Can they be shipped with the dreaded ZGUID as well, or is this even possible?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
frenchie79

I will be patient and I understand problems but Dang, I just bought the 7C 2.4 for the soul reason of no interference, so I could fly my large expensive planes with out fear and NOT HAVING to run around and check with everyone.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:03 PM
ukengineman

I was looking through RCU and found another instance of 6EX code changing, this time after the Tx was left on and the battery went flat slowly:-
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6317205/tm.htm
Apologies if this instance has already been mentioned in this thread. I suspect that martinh ID code has gone back to zero. There is a bit of a pattern suggesting a brown out problem leading to the programmed code being replaced by the default zero. Although checking with other users of 6EX at your flying field is excellent advice, as a new owner of one of these systems I am worried about what might happen when I go to a flying meeting where there are a lot of flyers, non of whom I know. I am watching this thread with great interest.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:04 PM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

This statement would mean all of the 7C's would be bad. The instruction book says that the receiver is bound to the transmitter and that it isn't necessary to bind them.

Greg
Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM
GrayUK

It is not the RX that is the problem.
Only the TX. the RX will take the TX GUID when taught.

Paul
Old 01-16-2008, 05:07 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

If you REALLY want to know if your Tx is currently affected, you need access to a FASST rx that has not been linked. The ones that come packed with systems or modules are supposedly already linked (although mine wasn't when it came with my TM-7 module). I bought extra rxs, so it was easy for me - if you don't have one, take a charged rx battery, a servo and your Tx to your LHS and borrow one for a minute.

Turn on your Tx.
Plug the servo into ch 1.
Power up the rx.

Wiggle the aileron stick. If nothing happens, you are fine. If the servo responds, send in the TX.

DON'T link the test rx to your Tx - or it can't be used to test the next transmitter!

This test ONLY verifies that your Tx is not transmitting the default code AT THAT TIME. If this turns out to be a low-voltage problem (doubtful) then all bets are off. Of course, if your system quits working but works after you relink, that could well mean you now have a defective Tx/module.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.