Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:09 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Major Glitch in a Futaba SS system!!

As shipped, the receivers in a spread spectrum RC system have NOTHING to do with the individuality of the control system. The TRANSMITTERS are the ones with the unique identifiers, NOT the receivers.

the bind or link or whatever button / jumper / switch on the receiver puts it into a mode where it looks for the nearest (biggest signal strength) valid "spreading code" or GUID from a transmitter, then remembers that code, and will from then on (unless re-bound) will only respond to the transmitter with the proper code.

If the transmitter through whatever reason ends up with a default (most likely used to facilitate factory testing, etc) code, then they are no longer unique.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:21 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To further complicate matters, it APPEARS that rapidly cycling the rxs power MIGHT reset it's GUID - at least, I think that's what they may have been saying prior to translation.

From the US manual for the TM-7 module:

􏽊􀀁If the R607FS is already linked to T6EX or T7C, please cycle receiver power before
performing re-linking with TM7.
* Otherwise the 3ch can not work correctly.

All the rxs I purchased to go with the module have had to be linked - including the one packed in the module box.

At this point, I've verified that my Tx won't operate a new rx unless it is linked. I'm sure that my module is not on the default GUID. If it suddenly won't operate one of my linked rxs, I'll check another plane. If the Tx has changed GUID, it won't work any of them without relinking.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:39 PM
harphunt

Does anyone feel that Futaba or one of its distributers should have issued some sort of statement by now, or am I being impatient? It seems to be irresponsible to allow all of this conjecture here and on other forums to continue. Futaba's lack of dispution implies there is as big a problem as people are creating.

I can only imagine that sales have ceased and those that still have time on their return policy are returning purchased units and opting for other brands. They've already lost a huge market share. This lack of information seems that it would spurn distrust with the buying public and increase this loss.

Or, am I just impatient/naive/ignorant? Thanks.

PEACE
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Woketman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I can not understand the viewpoint of some folks that talk of loosing market share and serious design issues.

First of all, I for one am no lover of Futaba. They have cost me too much turbine hardware before I switched to Multiplex. But that said, this appears to be a rather simple design issue or perhaps quality control issue. I am confident that a simple fix will be soon implemented. In the mean time, just test your TXs with a zero GUID RX or against other's with similar equipment or take a break from flying for a few weeks. It is not a major redesign issue. Everything will be OK!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
GrayUK

Woketman

Correct [8D]
Old 01-16-2008, 07:48 PM
nonstoprc
My Feedback: (90)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: GrayUK

I know it is of no conciliation but remember, if you do NOT have a faulty TX (only 6 ex and 7C have any record at the moment) you are fine and will not be interfered with even if a faulty set switches on.
You can have a faulty set and fly perfectly safely, providing no one else has one.
So, current info (from a very reliable source) says that the 12 and 14 units do NOT suffer from the 0000 GUID. This means you are safe, even if 1 or 2 (or more) faulty sets are present.

The 7 and 8 modules can theoretically suffer the same problem but due to how they work it is far more unlikely (the 6ex and 7c is very unlikely anyway). No recorded case has been found even in checked stock at Futaba and others.

So at present the only risk is if 2 faulty sets are at the same field and try to fly together.
As I indicated earlier, a quick check of these sets on the ground can confirm that you do not have TWO faulty sets present (or do as the case may be).
This is a temporary and interim 'check' until Futaba, Hobbico, Ripmax, Robbe and others make the announcement and decide what action is to be taken.
I am informed that this announcement will be very, very soon (I am expecting before the end of the week).

For the moment 14,12, 8 and 7 module users can continue as normal, if you want to be ultra cautious then check the 7 and 8 modules as well.

As for 6ex and 7C just ensure checks are made at your field and then before any newcomer switches on.

Paul
glad to hear that Futaba is addressing the problem and looking forward to the official statement.

Checking zero GUID at field is still difficult, practically, because you have to watch for every 2.4Ghz Tx's and perform the test.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:10 PM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

What! Stop flying for a few weeks? Are you mad? Never! Not for Floridians anyway. I didn't pay $2600 in homeowners insurance this year, for a future hurricane claim that doesn't look likely, just to sit in this depreciating house on a 70 degree winter day, wondering if Futaba is shrugging this off as a fluke or for real percentages to concern them.
Just take a pin, mark it 2.4G, and impound the rest, that should raise market values again on 72Mhz while they still make them.

I'm soooo glad I stayed behind with my ever faithful 9CAPS, synthesized module and box of rx crystals. Got to love the $40 negative shift receiver nowadays. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXKYK3&P=ML Wow, it's auto shift, correct me quick!

Reading the flaming going on about "prove it with video", "prove it because you don't post attacks in the hundreds as I do", really was entertaining. This is why for decades USA believes JFK was assassinated by one man. I rather take the word of those gentlemen. Most new gadgets have a bug or two when released, be glad it's not an Audi 5000 brake problem. Remember, Futaba rushed to market to catch the tailcoat of Spectrum sales. Suddenly, I like 72Mhz Hitec and Airtronics more and more.

Anyway, TM-7 module idea has been canceled, and I found a nice hardly used Hitec Prism 7 with spectra module instead for only $50 shipped. Hanson Hobby has a nice 64kb card for the compac slot on the 9CAPS, got to love model memory.

I might pick up a PCM rx soon and see how PCM works! FM is so reliable, I never thought the extra expense was worth the novelty to try PCM waveform signals to move my servos flying laps for 10 minutes a tankful. Sold my last AM system on RCU just recently, those gold Futaba metal cases with the antenna holders were just so cool. Never had a glitch in anything. Why give up on it? Just get off #44 and most channels are open that aren't boxed in RTF trainers.

I might see if 2.4Ghz has all the bugs worked out of it, and maybe the 5.8 Ghz systems will be here by then with a blue tooth cell phone and MP3 player built in, and pattern fliers can play back their pattern in their own voice while they order from tower things falling off their plane in real time, or convince the wife in a call that you're at Home Depot picking out tools for the season behind chore list you let slip setting up your expo and mixes in the garage instead.

If you find any Prism 7 radio deals, please PM me. I'm not ready for Eclipse yet. QPCM hasn't been out long enough. Remember when you could do you're own car tune ups with $25 socket set from Sears and get that fancy inductive timing light? Inline 6 cylinder cars that got 24 mpg and now a new Hyundai only gets 17? I can go on all night. If you jump for new and improved, you get new and improved problems. With all the drama in this thread, it's clear you all shouldn't have ever left 72Mhz, with the down time, you could argue even further in the pits. Why fly back to back just swapping batteries or tanks of fuel when so much criticism is just waiting to lash out at others, or self appointed experts must declare it every time they show up?
[:'(]
Old 01-16-2008, 09:24 PM
Woketman

One guy did indeed kill JFK: Lee Harvey Oswald. Read the Warren Commission report and "Case Closed" by Gerald Posner. If you think anyone else killed JFK, you are fooling yourself.

I will never fly another turbine powered airframe on 72 MHz. Especially with many folks going back and forth from 2.4 to 72, the odds of a shoot down on 72 has increased greatly. From what I have seen, as long as you take the proper precautions with 2.4, it already is safer than 72. I will fly props & electrics for a while and let the dust settle on the most reliable 2.4 gear.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:28 PM
rambler53

Well if it's a turbine, that changes everything.... Where do we recycle all these useless 72Mhz radios then? Funny how so many 72Mhz radios remain in production. You better enlighten them too.

http://mcadams.posc.mu.edu/sbt.htm Magic bullet.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 PM
Woketman

No need to enlighten' them. If its a light plane or one that is not that valuable, I would stay on 72 (and will for electrics and some glow). But for high dollar/time invested airframes, I personally feel 72 is getting too risky.

Read Posner. No magic bullet, just the facts m'am. Lee Harvey the nut-ball.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: Woketman

No need to enlighten' them. If its a light plane or one that is not that valuable, I would stay on 72 (and will for electrics and some glow). But for high dollar/time invested airframes, I personally feel 72 is getting too risky.

Read Posner. No magic bullet, just the facts m'am. Lee Harvey the nut-ball.
Yeah, price of the model is first consideration, never think about safety of human life and an out of control airplane moving a 1 lb engine at over 60 mph into someone's chest...RC didn't start last year, 72 mhz has been around decades, it's rock solid reliable in any aircraft. I bet your life on it.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 PM
DougV

Guys:

I called Hobbico today and I said to them that I was planning on buying the 7C 2.4 TX today, So the tech I talk to said to go ahead and buy it...there is nothing wrong with the radio. [sm=confused_smile.gif]

Doug.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:58 PM
frenchie79

common Doug-He would be fired if he said don't buy it.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: DougV

Guys:

I called Hobbico today and I said to them that I was planning on buying the 7C 2.4 TX today, So the tech I talk to said to go ahead and buy it...there is nothing wrong with the radio. [sm=confused_smile.gif]

Doug.
I was planning on buying some fresh Spinach at the supermarket even after people in our area were dying from E Coli poisoning, and This isn't a turbine story, but the store manager said go ahead and buy it...there is nothing wrong with the spinach. [X(] Spinach, $3.00. 7C radio, $300. Crashed plane, $300-5000. Life, priceless.

Funny, just last year $4000 contest planes were sponsored by Futaba, and the insanity of them using 72Mhz! Oh my, how a year really shows us how foolish we were to trust 72Mhz for so many years now! Where is the member that wants to sue for a discontinued receiver? Now we have real numbers of 72Mhz owners to whine in court with this logic.

I decided to get a bag of potato chips, it kills me so slowly, I don't notice or blame just the chips, it just might be the beer.
Now if someone says E Coli was found in caviar just in a few cases, it won't hurt you, because you're an authority due to the expense of the product, so I'm learning.

Hey, ever try those 2.4Ghz video cameras in your Fasst system? Got to love the planned obsolescence of the 2.4 Ghz game.

Wait for ipod to make a better radio for us. They get everything right the first time, don't you think? I want the 5.8Ghz radio
with a camera built in so I can store pictures of receivers binding to my system! C'mon guys, that was a good one.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:09 PM
nonstoprc

what are ginnie pigs and what is a beta release?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:10 PM
rambler53

The acronym for it is fasst?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Woketman

A year ago, there were no where near the numbers of guys going back & forth between 72 & 2.4. Once those old guys get used to not bothering with a pin... watch out!

But then again, a guy that believes conspiracy theories probably won't understand or care anyway.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:31 PM
nonstoprc

The problem is there are several 2.4ghz vendors. Which one are we talking about?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:57 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: Woketman

A year ago, there were no where near the numbers of guys going back & forth between 72 & 2.4. Once those old guys get used to not bothering with a pin... watch out!

But then again, a guy that believes conspiracy theories probably won't understand or care anyway.
Isn't it ironic how fasst was to remedy the issues of being stepped on your channel while flying, and not have to worry about being shot down no matter how affordable your ARF and Chinese engine may be, and all it really takes, no matter what you use, 2.4Ghz or 72mhz, even 27mhz, discipline, communication, and common sense will be the longest lasting and best factors for safety and avoiding careless mistakes, like frequency pins being handled for all radios at a club. It's always the new guy that shows up with a trainer that scares you most about frequency control? This 2.4Ghz glitch is a good thing. Frequency control should be in effect for everyone on some level and no one is forever immune to interference.

One turbine member that want to sneer and attack even someone's age in this hobby is headed for trouble, quick. Ban much?
Wokeman posts arrogance and insults while ignoring the red text not to. Humor is a talent.

Old guys are careful, wise, patient, and probably taught you everything you think you know about the hobby. More importantly, you should respect age, not ridicule it. We will all be there eventually ourselves. The countless conspiracies in this declining nation aren't to be debated here. This is exactly why so many refuse to accept the eye witness account of the Fasst binding fluke, criticize Futaba before they service the item, and filled 12 pages of nonsense here in just a little over a week, suspicion is a learned trait for some time where even the word derives back to the 14th century latin word suspicere. Conspiracies are on every level, and only someone with their head in the sand would deny it. The first response in this thread treated the event as a conspiracy towards 2.4Ghz technology as several RCU members are convinced it's impervious to any anomalies.

Fasst wasn't released until August 07. It was one of those slow boats to Tower, resulting in their notice being changed monthly, from coming in June, no, July, no, August...I'm still waiting on a Revolver canopy that's been a 3 month push ahead game, I should have just made one from scratch. it would be easy with all these frequency pins I accidentally bring home in my pocket every Sunday.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

Actuall, the 6EXA FASST has been out longer than that. I recently changed over my 9CAP to 2.4, and couldn't be more satisfied with the system. I don't know who killed JFK or JR Ewing, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't Futaba.

I've used Futaba equipment a long time, and I believe that Futaba will step up and take care of their customers - period. Stay tuned.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:05 AM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

Doest anyone know if the 2.4 Tx's in question have been sent in to be checked out yet??
NEDYOB
Old 01-17-2008, 05:12 AM
bailey37

were the sets grey imports???
Old 01-17-2008, 05:36 AM
Julez

I brought my TX to the post office just 2 hours ago.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:20 AM
bailey37

and were have you sent it to???? i have a 2,4 gig set , and have to say touch wood i have not had a problem with it as yet
were the arials set correctly in the models mentioned?should be set at ninty degrees to each other?
Old 01-17-2008, 07:54 AM
GrayUK

Gents

Please check this link.

[link]http://www.ripmax.com/notification_futaba.asp[/link]

Ripmax have not mentioned the 7C 2.4gig 'system' or the 8 modules because they had not sold any in the UK before the problem was identified.

The 7 module is involved because Ripmax want to be over cautious.

Paul Gray

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.