Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Need new radio, 9CAP or Dx7?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 01:53 PM
edberg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new radio, 9CAP or Dx7?

I'm in need of a new radio to replace my beat up 6EXA.

If I go with the dx7, I wouldn't be able to fly until I replace the receivers in all my planes which will cost too much at the moment. If I go with the 9CAP, I can fly 75mhz until I have enough money to switch over to 2.4ghz.

I would go with the 9cap, but I've been hearing bad stories about futabas 2.4ghz system, lockouts and controlling other peoples planes and such. Another thing is the age of the 9CAP, it's much older then the dx7 and I would expect the software to be a bit outdated and be missing some things that the dx7 has.

Any suggestions?

Old 01-07-2008, 02:16 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Need new radio, 9CAP or Dx7?

ORIGINAL: edberg
I would go with the 9cap, but I've been hearing bad stories about futabas 2.4ghz system, lockouts and controlling other peoples planes and such.
At this point this is still unproven and may turn out to be a manufacturing defect, or nothing at all... It also wasn't reported as a 9CAP but as the new 6EA 2.4 and new 7C 2.4 transmitters. The 9CAP can only be upgraded to 2.4 using a TM-7 or TM-8 module, and the TM-8 is not yet available... BTW -- there have been issues with Spektrum as well -- all new tech experiences deployment issues.

Since you have to replace all of your receivers anyway you are free to choose the system that suits you best. At this point I suggest that decide based upon what you can afford and on which system you can get the most help at your field. If everyone is flying Spektrum/JR then you may be better off not to buck that trend... If you choose Spektrum be sure to read up on the power requirements of these receivers. They are more sensitive to voltage drops so be sure to use appropriate batteries. All of the new SS receivers are little computers and as such are more sensitive to voltage drops than the old 72 Mhz systems.
Old 01-07-2008, 02:33 PM
Mitsu1
My Feedback: (13)

You sir, appear to be the perfect candidate for the new Airtronics RDS8000 2.4Ghz 8 Channel Air/Heli system. This system is being field reported as one of the best availbable. What's even better ... this sells for just $229 for the TX and RX combo, and additional RX's are just $79.00. It is being said that this doesn't suffer from the low voltage reboots that Spektrum/Jr and others have because the receiver is designed to operate to below 2 volts .. which is long after the servos would have stopped working. What this means is .. that it won't reboot from low voltage spikes caused by momentary heavy servo current drain such as some others have. This radio is priced less than the DX7 and has more channels and maybe? more features. I personally find it very interesting. http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751700.asp
Old 01-07-2008, 02:57 PM
GalenB

There you go -- another choice! BTW -- the Airtronics systems appears to be a frequency hopping system and the receivers have two co-axial attennas. At first glance it looks to be very close to the Futaba implementation... Is there a connection? Enquiring minds want to know...
Old 01-07-2008, 03:24 PM
Mitsu1

I personally have never heard of any type connection between Sanwa Corp. and Futaba Corp. I think its undestood that because of the shorter wavelength of 2.4 that some type of diversity antenna system is needed to produce the best signal performance. As far as I know .. there are currently three conventions on this. (Dual antennas -Futaba) .. (dual antennas/remote rx-Spektrum/JR) ... (Single antenna-XPS). Seems to me you have to choose what you feel is best for you if you are a manufacturer. For what its worth, .. XPS is said to be developing a remote rx type setup for their systems, .. and Assan, which is sold by HobbyCity employs the dual antenna variety similar to Futaba, ...only they offer both short duals and long duals. So, ... in my opinion ... and thats all it is .... the dual antenna seems to be more of a given of the technology ... than rather an association of any particular company.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:29 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

The 9c programming is quite feature rich, far superior to the DX7. If not for the 2.4ghz people wouldn't even speak of the two radios in the same breath. As you stated it will let you use your existing 72mhz stuff and you could upgrade it with either a Spectrum or FAAST module. This would be the best of both worlds as you could replace your recievers as finances allow and phase out the 72mhz stuff if you want to.

The DX7 is a good choice, and better IMO than your 6ex but as I said, its not a 9c.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Mitsu1

I have a 9C on 2.4 with XPS, and there are some issues with the 9C. First, if you go 2.4 upgrade with the 9C, you won't have the 2048 resolution that other 9 channel dedicated 2.4 radios have, so you won't see the increased latency that everyone talks about. Also, there is a well documented issue with the 9C and channels 1 & 8, or 2 & 8 ... can't remember ... where when used in a dual servo setup the travel on both channels is not 100% linear, and its noticeable. (Please don't question me on this, but do a search here on RCU and you will see what I saw .. and then what I noticed on my own radio after it was pointed out. Again, ... many have written about this .. so check with those who know all about it.) Also, with the 9C .. because of the PPM achitecture .. when you upgrade with module, you only have access to 8 channels instead of all 9. Futaba outlines this well in their documentation about the 9C and module upgrading. So, ... basically ... you have to consider these things if you are trying to get ALL ... the benefits that 2.4 promises.
Old 01-07-2008, 03:55 PM
GalenB

ORIGINAL: Mitsu1

I have a 9C on 2.4 with XPS, and there are some issues with the 9C. First, if you go 2.4 upgrade with the 9C, you won't have the 2048 resolution that other 9 channel dedicated 2.4 radios have, so you won't see the increased latency that everyone talks about. Also, there is a well documented issue with the 9C and channels 1 & 8, or 2 & 8 ... can't remember ... where when used in a dual sevo setup the travel on both channels is not 100 linear, and its noticeable. (Please don't question me on this, but do a search here on RCU and you will see what I saw .. and then what I noticed on my own after it was pointed out. Again, ... many have written about this .. so check with those who know all about it.) Also, with the 9C .. because of the PPM achitecture .. when you upgrade with module, you only have access to 8 channels instead of all 9. Futaba outlines this well in their documentation about the 9c and module upgrading. So, ... basically ... you have to consider these things if you are trying to get ALL ... the benefits that 2.4 promises.
Resolution and latency are different issues. Resolution defines how accurately the control surfaces (servos) tracks the sticks. Having a higher resolution gives finer control surface movement because there are more data points. Latency controls how quickly the control surfaces (servos) repond to a change in the stick position. The lower the latency the more quickly the control surface responds.

As a native 2.4 SS radion the DX-7 has lower latency than any 72 mhz system. It also has lower latency than any PPM interfaced SS module. I do not know its resolution. I doubt it is lower than 1024, but do not know that it is as high as 2048...

The other issue to which you refer about the 9C is the lag that a slave servo has with respect to the master servo. This is most easily seen with a dual elevator setup. To the best of my knowledge all 72 mhz systems (older) transmitters have this problem. The higher end Futaba transmitters (12 and 14 channel) transmitters don't have this problem, but they had to introduce PCM G3 2048 to solve it. The transmitters also cost more than a kilobuck. This is my assumption reading between the lines of the specs and features... The DX-7 introduced a new feature called servo sync that solves this problem. They also did it on an affordable sport level transmitter.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:05 PM
Mitsu1

Yeah, .. all of that ... that you just said
Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
edberg

Decisions decisions, so far I'm going with the 9c. I don't need that 4096 resolution and all that stuff, my 6EXA seems as accurate as anything. As for latency, if it's as fast as my 6EXA I'm fine with that too, as long as it isn't half a second or something. Don't mind loosing a channel with the module ether, 7channels is all I need.
I'm probably saying that because I've never handled another radio, but I seriously can't see how much better it can get.

Something like the 7c or dx7 would be perfect for me, but I can't afford 3 more receivers, and being able to switch back to 75mhz for whatever reason would be nice.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:02 PM
Mitsu1

If the DX7 would be perfect for you ... then surely the RDS8000 8 channel should be ??? You can buy it ... and two extra receivers for the cost of the DX7 .. or just a little over. DX7 = $349 .... RDS8000 - $229 + $79 + $79 = $387.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:09 PM
edberg

I can only spend about 250-300$ And I can get the 9c at servocity.com for 250$, radio alone.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:24 PM
Mitsu1

Yes, but take note ... that $250 at Servocity ... DOES NOT INCLUDE A TX MODULE! ... so please add about $40 ... ($50.00 if you buy it later as a standalone) to that price .. $290. $290 for a TX with a 700mah battery, which ain't gonna last you through the afternoon. (700mah is woefully inadequate for a computer radio). This will need upgrading immediately. Sorry, just helping you to know what you are doing. Now, for $20 more ... you could have the Airtronics TX, & 2 RX's.
P.S. ... I don't even see a 75MHz modulel option.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:49 PM
edberg

9C with a channel 50 module and 1650mah battery totals out to 325$, I suppose I can spare that much if I earn a little more.

It's just that I still want to be able to fly 75mhz.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Mitsu1

Good luck, ... these were all things I learned after the fact [&o] ... and just wanted to help you see what I didn't.
Old 01-07-2008, 08:59 PM
edberg

Thanks for the help anyways. Still a bit uneasy about all this but I should have plenty of time to think it out while I try to sell some of my old stuff on RCU marketplace.

Just need to figure out how to use it, thats how I plan to make the money for the new radio.
Old 01-07-2008, 09:02 PM
GalenB

9C with a channel 50 module and 1650mah battery totals out to 325$, I suppose I can spare that much if I earn a little more.

It's just that I still want to be able to fly 75mhz.
75 Mhz is a surface frequency... I am sure you are meaning 72 mhs which is for airplanes....
Old 01-07-2008, 09:04 PM
edberg

ORIGINAL: GalenB
75 Mhz is a surface frequency... I am sure you are meaning 72 mhs which is for airplanes....

Your right, sorry about that.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Campgems

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in need of a new radio to replace my beat up 6EXA.

If I go with the dx7, I wouldn't be able to fly until I replace the receivers in all my planes which will cost too much at the moment. If I go with the 9CAP, I can fly 75mhz until I have enough money to switch over to 2.4ghz.

I would go with the 9cap, but I've been hearing bad stories about futabas 2.4ghz system, lockouts and controlling other peoples planes and such. Another thing is the age of the 9CAP, it's much older then the dx7 and I would expect the software to be a bit outdated and be missing some things that the dx7 has.

Any suggestions?

Do you really mean fly 75mhz??? Sure you didn't mean 72mhz?? 75 is a ground frequency.

I've been mulling over going to 2/4GHZ also, and like you, I would need a number of receivers. I looked at a couple different RF modules for my 9CAPS and what I finally ended up doing is buying a backup 9CAP. I just couldn't come up with a reason I needed the 2.4, other than having the NEW thing on the block. We seldom have more than four or five guys at the field at any given time, and a couple of them use 2.4 on their helicopters. One uses it on his planes and he lost one a month or so back when the receiver antennas broke of at the case. I got shot down almost two years back when one of the guys was showing off his Generation 1 computer radio and showing how easy it was to change frequencys, just a flick of a switch. His stand by was my active frequency.

I now have four different frequency modules and also a synthyized moudle. My planes are scattered and if I run into a conflict, it is a receiver crystal swap and a swap of the RF module and I'm good to go. I very seldom have to do that though, less than three times over that last two years and I fly usually three times a week.

There is a guy on Ebay that sells RF Module and you can usually get one for around $15, your choice of frequency. All brand new stuff.

Don
Old 01-07-2008, 11:56 PM
TMooreATX

As a native 2.4 SS radion the DX-7 has lower latency than any 72 mhz system. It also has lower latency than any PPM interfaced SS module. I do not know its resolution. I doubt it is lower than 1024, but do not know that it is as high as 2048...
Sorry to burst your bubble but the Airtronics Stylus is the fastest radio made, 2.4, 72Mhz, or 50Mhz, doesn't matter. The DX 7 is a good radio but certainly not the fastest. That honor belongs to a 12 year old design. The RD Series uses the same PCM system as the Stylus.

http://www.runryder.net/helicopter/t172571p1/

TM
Old 01-08-2008, 02:10 AM
Teachu2
My Feedback: (133)

I recently had to make a similar choice. I was ready to go with a 7C 2.4 system until I chatted with Tony Stillman at Radio South. Tony pointed out the things I'd lose going down from my old 9C (which needed repair) to a 7C. He thought I should just repair the old 9C. I looked carefully at what I thought I wanted (2.4 and 72, as I owned 23 rxs on 72) and decided I wanted the 9C Super programming and the reliability of a new Tx - my old one was worn, and I didn't trust it, even after an expert repair. My old 9C (first year they were produced) was a PITA to set up for quad flaps, which I do with some regularity. The 9C Super does it easily. I found Servo City's $249 special, and I already had a synth module - so I ordered it and got a 2.4 module/rx combo at the LHS for $195. Flew the 2.4 setup, came home and sold off ALL my 72 stuff on RCU. Bought 9 more 2.4 rxs from my LHS, so I'm set for a while.

Reasons I dumped 72? 1) Value of used 72 stuff is falling, fast. If I flew in a remote area and had no chance of shoot-downs, I would be snapping up some of the bargains on 72 stuff - but I don't. 2) The 2.4 feels better - even in a non-native Tx. 3) As 2.4 gets more and more prevalent, freq control at the field will deteriorate. 4) Toys that were on 27 last year are moving to 72 this year. 5) Losing ONE plane to a shoot-down will pay to convert nearly my whole fleet. My LHS sells Futaba R607FS 7ch rxs for $79.99 a pop.

Had I forseen dumping 72, I might have gone a different direction for the Tx - but probably not. I really like my 9C, and am not bothered with the latency issue. Even the puny stock battery doesn't bother me - I field charge as needed. I plan to fly this one until I get a native 2.4 system (who knows when THAT'LL happen!) and then relegate it to a secondary/backup status.

Had I not had a failure on my old 9C, I would have simply upgraded it to 2.4 and waited for the next generation - a native 9-10 ch Futaba. There's nothing wrong with the Spectrum or the new 9303 2.4, but I am extremely comfortable with the feel and the programming of the 9C. If I flew precision aerobatics, I might have gone another way.