Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

need help setting up warbird with the 9C

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 09:37 PM
hats20001

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help setting up warbird with the 9C

I have recently purchased a hangar 9 spitfire and want to set it up with flaps and the included retracts, keeping the ailerons seprate for better trim adjustment... anyway I have read and re read the manual and the online examples, with no avail. I was just wondering if someone could walk me though how to set up the radio using a R168df reciever
Old 01-09-2008, 10:33 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts
Default RE: need help setting up warbird with the 9C

What is it you're having trouble with?

There's no benefit of separate aileron channels on a warbird, just run a Y harness.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Gulliver

See the Futaba 9C FAQ's
Old 01-09-2008, 04:56 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to respectfully disagree with the 'Cuda. ALL my warbirds have separate aileron servos. Over and above the ease of trimming each aileron independantly, you can't run aileron differential with a Y harness, and once you've flown with ADiff, you won't go back
Old 01-09-2008, 05:36 PM
BarracudaHockey

I don't know about the trimming part, you can do that mechanically, but you made the light bulb come on with aileron differential, excellent point! I'm spoiled because my Miss A rolls like its on a string.

Install the aileron servos on channels 1 and 7

Goto the advanced menu (hit MODE/PAGE from the basic menu) and scroll to

AIL-DIFF
Set the mix from INH to ACT
You will have to tinker with the numbers to get them to do what you want but if you leave them at 100/100 you will get normal aileron throw and can play with differential depending on how it rolls.

For the flaps goto the AUX-CH menu and assign the flaps to your choice of knobs, sliders or switches, I suggest using the 3 position switch to keep things simple atleast at first. Center the switch, center your servo, and put the flap at where you want it to end up with the middle flap position, I'm sure the book gives you some suggestions but typically it would be about 10 to 15 degrees. Then set your end points on channel 5 for full up and whatever you want for full down on the toggle switch. If at all possible dont actually connect the clevis to the control surface or servo so you can just move the linkage with your hand till you get the end points set so you dont strip any servo gears or break something on the plane. If you want to feather the flap control you can assign it one of the knobs or the sliders (I use the right hand slider) but set it up in the same manner with the servo centered and then the end points to set the stops.

Go back to the AUX-CH and assign channel 6 to your two position switch (I'd give you switch letters but I have the H version of the radio so would be different than the A version) and hook up your retract servo. Remember that retract servos only move 180 degrees so no need to mess with the end points as the servo will ignore them if you are using a real retract servo (which you should). If you need an easy way to setup your retract throws let me know.

Then you probably will need to set up a P-MIX to mix some elevator in when you give flaps as they usually change pitch, probably balloning nose up but it depends on the design, when you deploy the flaps.
P-MIX 3 is already set up for you so set it from INH to ACT
You will set it as
MIX set to ON
MAS 6: FLAP
SLV 2: ELE
LINK OFF
SW E
POSI (Set this to NULL so the mix is always active)
The first thing to do is scroll down to OFFSET then set the flap switch to full UP and hold the wheel down and the number will change from 0 to 100, leave the other numbers at 100.

Test fly the plane and give the first click of flaps and see what the plane does then land and tinker with the numbers till it gives you the correction you need. START SMALL and work on it till you can deploy the flaps at approach speed without the nose pitching up or down.

Thats a lot of info, dont feel bad if you have to ask questions.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:33 PM
hats20001

Thanks so much BarracudaHockey, I will try out that setup tonight. This site and those who use it are great, it's great to have all this knowledge in one place. thanks again
Old 01-10-2008, 05:46 PM
BarracudaHockey

ORIGINAL: hats20001

Thanks so much BarracudaHockey, I will try out that setup tonight. This site and those who use it are great, it's great to have all this knowledge in one place. thanks again
No problem.

If you get overwhelmed let me know I'll PM you my number.

Remember that the servo screen is your friend, you can use it to see whats going on with mixes etc without having to power up the plane.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:03 PM
OldFart1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Excellent answer 'Cuda (and I know who I'm going to PM when I start setting my Mini Ultrastick with quad flaps up in my 9C)
Old 01-11-2008, 02:11 PM
BarracudaHockey

No problem, I fly gliders too so 4 servo wings are no biggie to me. Just ask in public so others may benefit.