Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C programming question.. High Rates?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 05:07 PM
Geardaddys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 9C programming question.. High Rates?

Ok.. I thought that I understood this radio fairly well but have run into a problem that I can't seem to figure out.. Here's the skinny.. Setting up Seagull Edge 540.. Dual elevator servos.. have them on a mix and they are working together as they should.. Clevis on servo end is connected to servo arm one hole up from the bottom hole. Cleavis on the elevator horn is on the outermost hole.. With no end point adjust I'm getting 1.5 inches throw in each direction.. So, now in order to get down to 3/4 inch throw for low rates, I went to End point adjust and dialed them down to 3/4 inch each way.. life's good I'm thinking.. this is cake.. Now when I go to High Rates I can only get up to 140 percent of the End point adjusted low rates, which won't get me up to the 1 1/4 that the book calls for on high rates.. UGH.. I'm sure I'm doing something stupid I'm just not sure what.. any suggestions?

Thanks,

John..
Old 01-10-2008, 06:09 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts
Default RE: Futaba 9C programming question.. High Rates?

Use the EXP/DR menu to set your low rate, not the end points.

That is, set your high rate with end points, your low rate as a lesser percentage of your full throw in the DR menu.
Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Geardaddys

ahhh... perfect sense.. I was trying to wrap my brain around a way to do what I was doing "backwards".. just couldn't get things to gel in the nogin... Thanks a bunch..

Old 01-10-2008, 08:57 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure you have the right switch selected too.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Geardaddys

Ok, another follow up question.. Got the high/low rate for the elevator figured out just fine.. looks like it's doing just what it should.. Next question is about the ailerons and the high/low rates and aileron differential.. Basically I don't understand how to get the aileron differential set up for high and low rate throws.. The book for the plane calls for:

INITIAL FLYING/SPORT FLYING
Ailerons: 5/8†up 1/2†down
Elevator: 3/4†up 3/4†down
Rudder: 2 1/2†right and left
AEROBATIC FLYING
Ailerons: 1†up 7/8†down
Elevator: 1 1/4†up 1 1/4â€down
Rudder: 3 1/2†right and left

I started by setting the end points for the high rates.. didn't use the "aileron diff" program in the radio.. They worked great in high rates, but then I realized that when I went to DR/EXPO to get the low rates squared away, I wouldn't be able to alter the amount of aileron differential for the lower rates.. Anyway, I fought with this radio last winter when I set up my Ultra Stick w/ quad flaps and thought I had it figured out pretty well.. oh well!!
Old 01-10-2008, 10:54 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

What size Seagull Edge are you building??? I had the 90 size and I reduced the high rates about 20% in mine. Mine needed alot less elevator to do a tight loop. The ailerons were reduced 10%. You just have to fly it and adjust to wha makes you comfortable with the plane. Fly it first on Low rates and adjust the Ail, Elev. & Rud there, Then if you go to High rate be careful with your stick in puts. As those are for the 3D stuff.
NEDYOB
Old 01-11-2008, 08:29 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 351 Likes on 281 Posts

Easy to do, hard to explain (I suppose thats why the manual sucks)

Since Futaba doesn't give us true flight conditions on the 9c (in airplane mode anyways) I would set it up in high rate. Low rate may not end up being the exact numbers but it will be the same percentage so it should be close.

Enable the mix and play with the numbers, I'd have to fire it up and fool with it to remember exactly how it works.