Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Frequencies

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2002, 12:50 PM
otterrc
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio Frequencies

I am an amatuer radio operator, KI8ID, and am considering going to the 50mhz band.
I have heard pros, and cons on converting my planes. I realize that my Transmiter, and recievers will have to be replaced so before I make the move has anyone any thoughts on the subject?
I have heard recievers are hard to find, and my concerns include spurious emissions from illegal 6 meter radios.

Otterrc
Old 03-05-2002, 04:52 PM
Big_Bird
My Feedback: (1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ham Band RC

I have been flying RC on the ham bands since 1967 and have never had a problem due to flying on the ham band as opposed to 72 mhz. In the early days I flew on the 53 mhz portion. Ever since the 50 mhz frequencies have been open I have been flying there. I use channel 04(50.88) and channel 06(50.92). The 50 mhz band is set up for narrow band (20 khz spacing) equipment and the 53 mhz band is still wide band (100 khz spacing). I don't think anyone sells receivers for 53 mhz. Two of my favorite receivers on 50 mhz have been the HiTec Supreme. Unfortunately HiTec stopped selling them. I also have several Futaba 50 mhz 7 & 8 channel FM receivers which have performed very well. I'm sure Futaba is still in the 6 meter business. I also have a 6 meter 6 channel Airtronics system. I have read several good reports on the FMA 50 mhz 8 channel Quantium Sub Micro receiver. I may try one sometime. Here is a link to FMA:
https://www.fmadirect.com/home.htm

It sure is nice to be able to belong to a club with 250 members and go to the field and know that you will have a channel all to yourself, which is my case (ch 06).

Ken
K5VYL
Old 03-05-2002, 06:11 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FMA also makes very good 6 meter receivers, I have some and they are excellent, also the most economical on the market. I also have been flying on 6 meters since the late 50's and have never had any interferance problems. However, especially on the west coast, there is starting to be a lot of repeater activity on the high end of the band (53MHZ) so, if you go on 6, use the low end of the band and I don't think you will have a problem. Note that surface vehicles can also use these frequencies so check on any model boat activity in your area as well. N4MCZ
Old 03-06-2002, 02:00 PM
FCC

Please, I want to know something more about 50/53MHz band and what other equipment/transmission is there in this band that can effect.
Old 03-06-2002, 02:14 PM
otterrc
My Feedback: (36)

Thank you both for your info, I believe I will probably go with 50 MHZ, and a Futaba TX, and try for either their receiver, or the FMA.

Otterrc