Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Other uses for 9C Dials/ sliders??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 03:43 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Other uses for 9C Dials/ sliders??

I'm curious what some people are using their 9C Dials or Sliders for other than flaps....

I'm flying mostly Aerobatic planes and have switches assigned for different things, but no dials or sliders.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-14-2003, 04:05 PM
Flyfalcons

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a setup I did for a blimp:

Mode1: Switch C down
Elevators and motor tilt are slaved together. Motor tilt trim is controlled the left rotary knob and elevator trim is controlled by the middle knob.

Mode2: Switch C middle position
Elevators are fixed and motors are movable using the elevator stick. Motor tilt trim has the same requirement as mode 1, and elevator trim is controlled with the normal elevator trim.

Mode3: Switch C up position
Motors are fixed and elevators are movable. In this mode, the right knob controls the motor trim (different trim requirement than the two hovering modes) and the right slider controls the elevator trim (different centering requirement than the hovering modes)

In all three modes, the right stick controls rudder and the left stick controls the rudder and tail rotor. The throttle stick controls motor throttle. We use two switches on the left for rope release and emergency vent. We are going to set up another switch to drop things from the blimp.

It took me just under an hour to program this setup. Major props go to the 'servo' function as I was able to see the mixes in action before we assembled the blimp. Because of the ability to set different mixes on different switches and positions, this setup was well within the ability of the radio, and switching between modes is a matter of moving one switch.
Old 04-14-2003, 04:59 PM
Frankenthumb
My Feedback: (2)

One of my friends is a roadie/head carpenter for the "Bob the Builder tour." They travel around the country and put on shows for the kids. This week he was in San Diego and I got to go take a look at the behind the scenes technical stuff.

Anyway, one of the characters is too small to fit a person into, so they set it up for RC, using a 9CAP. The eyes move with the rudder, forward and reverse is elevator, rotate is aileron, etc. Anyway, the cement dump action is on the left slider. So if you want to put a cement mixer on your plane, you should put the dump action there.

Frank
Old 04-15-2003, 09:28 AM
amcross

hahaha! too cool frank!

Mike, I know some folks who use the left slider as an alternate throttle trim using a dial mix.

Gear doors can be put on a slider so you can raise/lower slowly by hand.

sliders are great for experimenting with mixes, like determining how much elevator you want added in when you drop your flaps or setup your harrier mode....
Old 04-15-2003, 01:34 PM
FLYBOY
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the dials to fine tune one ail or elev when I am using 2 servos for them and need to trim just one.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:22 PM
MHawker

Good to hear from you AM and thanks for the advice. I was talking with a friend who owns a horse and is doing some training and forwarded your website to them. She was familiar with the training technique you talk about. Although I think she thought it was Monty Roberts? LOL.

Flyboy,

Thanks. I have a dual elevator set up on my Extra.

Mike
Old 04-15-2003, 04:27 PM
amcross

Hi, Mike! Thanks! There re 2 different big names who have similar techniques. One is monty roberts, the other is John Lyons. And then there's some silly girl in Illinois.....
Old 04-16-2003, 01:28 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Hehe, I have yet to use my sliders/knobs for mixing or anything yet! BTW, what are they suppose to be for? lol, havent seen the radio in a week.
Old 04-16-2003, 04:41 PM
MHawker

Originally posted by Shortman
havent seen the radio in a week.
Sounds like there's a story behind that?

Mike