Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Support Equipment for NiMH batteries???

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2003, 03:45 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Support Equipment for NiMH batteries???

I am contemplating moving over to NiMH RX batteries as my Nicads age on out. My question is:

Is my Hobbico Accu-Cycle Pro Series Charger/Conditioner and TME Trickle Charger equipment adequate to maintain NiMH batteries?

The Accu-Cycle can charge at a 25, 50, and 125 mA rate for RX batteries and discharge them at a 250 or 500 mA rate. It can also handle 4 or 5 cell packs. It says it discharges batteries to 1.05V/cell.

My TME Trickle charger just sends a cycling pulse to a power strip into which my standard C/10 chargers (Futaba and Airtronics) are plugged.

Thanks for any advise!
Old 04-15-2003, 09:26 AM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gary,
Any trickle charger is fine for NiMH. Its when you get into peak chargers that you need to know what you specifically need and what your charger does.
Old 04-15-2003, 05:40 PM
Wh00ps

Ditto what AnnMarie said regarding your at-home slow (overnight) chargers. Same principle as Nicads applies, charge at C/10 for ~16 hrs. I use the FMA Einstein. It's a great 2-channel, highly configurable charger/cycler.

Regarding field chargers, a new one that I just saw in MA, and have on order at the LHS, is the new Hobbico Field Charger Mk II. It's 2-channel, but not limited to one tx and one rx. Anywhere from 1-8 cells on either channel, charge rates manually selectable from 200mA-2A in increments of 200mA, and it peak-detects NiCd, NiMH, and will even charge 1-3 cell lithiums. I was pretty impressed, and it goes for about the same price as other field chargers (~$50). Check it out:

http://www.hobbico.com/chargers/hcap0290.html

I'm doing the same thing, going to all NiMH for my receiver packs. For the few extra bucks, I'll gladly take the extra capacity and reduced weight. There were some great deals to be had up at Toledo, so I stocked up. Also picked up a 1650 mAh pack for my 9c. That oughta last me a while between charges.

Oh, hey AnnMarie, do I get a commission for plugging your product?
Old 04-15-2003, 05:45 PM
amcross
My Feedback: (2)

Not my product....don't work there any more.