Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

PPM and PCM

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 PM
tonywayne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPM and PCM

Just when I thought I had this radio stuff figured out. I found the option on my new second hand Futaba T6EXAP tx that I missed in the manual where I can select between PPM or PCM. The way I understand is that PPM is just regular FM and PCM is (pulse code modulation). Iv heard that PCM was better than FM and so I selected it in my menu option on the tx. The receiver I have in my old plane is FM rx but it work with the tx in the PCM mode (I didn’t fly it on PCM) it just worked and transmitted fine in my workshop. My question is..... Can you use PCM tx with FM rx? If it works and supposedly it does, will it be better? Or do you have to have a PCM rx to get the benefit of PCM? Or is this a BIG no-no to use a PCM tx with FM rx even if I got close transmission? Thanks alot, Tony
Old 01-30-2008, 09:55 PM
tonywayne

Default RE: PPM and PCM

Disregard. I just realized you have to recycle the power on the tx for the PPM, PCM setting to change. “ The FM rx Doesn’t work with PCM” sorry for the dumb post. Tony
Old 01-31-2008, 12:15 AM
tadawson

For what it's worth, PPM and PCM are both signal encoding techniques that are BOTH sent via FM modulation. So, to say that PPM is the same as FM is incorrect.

And as you have discovered, receivers don't go both ways . . .

- Tim
Old 01-31-2008, 05:11 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 350 Likes on 280 Posts

Yes, as you discovered, you need a pcm reciever to take advantage of it. You can set it on a per model basis so if you get a new reciever you can get a pcm, set it in the menu when you setup that model and take full advantage of it.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:05 AM
3DAP

Tony,

You have got the ppm pcm figured out. Only a dumb question is if you dont ask and have a problem(crash)!!!!!!My son is in C.A.P CIVIL AIR PATROL (AUX AIR FORCE if you did not know) and is working his way up to a scholarship into the airforce academy( if he makes it)!!!!!!!

Nice career, GO AIRFORCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3DAP