Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Quick question aerodynamics.

Old 04-20-2003, 09:43 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick question aerodynamics.

Today I took my Pitts out to the field to fly. I was running and tuning the engine full power and I noticed that when I had my throttle more then 1/2 power (OS46 FX) the ailerons would start to lose control. They would both sort of go in the up posistion together until I came down back to 1/2 throttle, then they would resume normal movement. I was wondering before I start pulling it apart .... is this normal for "at rest". I was thinking that maybe in the air the effect would go away because of the wind coming
over and under the wing would stabilize the ailerons while in flight. Or should the ailerons act normally at full power test on the ground.

Anything will help.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:47 PM
Tall Paul

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is NOT normal, and must be fixed!
Something in the plane is generating a signal that interferes with the radio.
Old 04-20-2003, 09:49 PM
STLPilot
My Feedback: (21)

But the rest of the servos work fine ... just the aileron.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:00 PM
LowAndSlow
My Feedback: (5)

Sounds like your problem is in electronics rather than aerodynamics. I assume your transmitter is on when this happens. Check for metal-to-metal contact in the plane- servo rods, etc.
Old 04-20-2003, 10:37 PM
3-DorBUST

Default Re: Quick question aerodynamics.

Originally posted by STLPilot
Today I took my Pitts out to the field to fly. I was running and tuning the engine full power and I noticed that when I had my throttle more then 1/2 power (OS46 FX) the ailerons would start to lose control. They would both sort of go in the up posistion together until I came down back to 1/2 throttle, then they would resume normal movement. I was wondering before I start pulling it apart .... is this normal for "at rest". I was thinking that maybe in the air the effect would go away because of the wind coming
over and under the wing would stabilize the ailerons while in flight. Or should the ailerons act normally at full power test on the ground.

Anything will help.

Any Radio faults whatsoever that show up on the ground need to be investigated and resolved before taking to the air!!!
I can't state this point strongly enough!!
If you don't resolve this interference issue now, before flying, sooner or later (more likely sooner!) you'll be sifting through balsa sticks to find your problem radio parts.
Here's the routine I go through when my radio system acts up:

:1 K.I.S.S. (keep it simple, stupid!)
:2 remove all the plugs from the reciever, and reinsert, making certain that all three wires in each plug are all the way in. A loose signal wire (or any of the three, actually) will play havoc with your plane and won't show up till engine vibration causes it to momentarily loose continuity.
Do the same for any other plug-ins in your system, ie:battery to switch,ail. extensions etc.
:3 make sure your antenna isn't near a battery wire.
:4 Use something other than a music wire rod for your throttle linkage, as this can generate a signal through contact with other metal components in your plane.

I hope this helps,(sorry if a little long winded!)

P.s. I have a Modeltech Extra 300L with an O.S. 46fx and it hovers at 1/2 throttle, and I'm almost a mile above sea-level!!
Please note: This plane is pretty weak in the mid-section, PM me for a preventative step if you get one!
Old 04-21-2003, 05:49 AM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this a "computer" transmitter with mixes and programmable modes and stuff like that? If it's not a nervous dance from the ailerons it sounds more like there's a program mix you didn't expect.

But if it IS a nervous dance then the others have got it right.

At any rate this is NOT an Aerodynamic question at all. I'm moving it to a radio specific forum.