Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Revolutionary RC Radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:55 AM
Ron.Daugherty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revolutionary RC Radio

Hi,
I've got an idea for a new, totally unique type of remote control radio that could potentially revolutionize the industry in general. I'd like to get some ideas about how to approach manufacturers about my idea. This idea is so insightful that even hinting about the nature of it should be garnered by a non-disclosure. Any advise would be greatly apprecitated.
Thanks,
Ron Daugherty
Old 02-23-2008, 12:54 PM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Revolutionary RC Radio

ORIGINAL: Ron.Daugherty

Hi,
I've got an idea for a new, totally unique type of remote control radio that could potentially revolutionize the industry in general. I'd like to get some ideas about how to approach manufacturers about my idea. This idea is so insightful that even hinting about the nature of it should be garnered by a non-disclosure. Any advise would be greatly apprecitated.
Thanks,
Ron Daugherty
What you need to do is get a patent lawyer, patent your design, and then watch the companies beat a path to your door.

Good luck,
Dave Olson
Old 02-23-2008, 01:12 PM
Ron.Daugherty

Thanks Dave!
I have thought of getting a patent, in fact, I've written and filed for a patent on another invention, only to discover that a patent is truely an offensive tool, after someone has already stolen market from your idea. The focal point of any good idea is how well and how fast its marketed. Any good manufacturer is going to engage their own lawyers anyway, if an idea has merit. My appeal in this forum is really for networking with people like you to develope associations that can lead to getting this idea in the right hands to achieve the best marketing possible and hopefully in the hands of consumers that will benefit from its use.
Ron D
Old 02-23-2008, 01:14 PM
P-40 DRIVER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scam!!!!
Old 02-23-2008, 01:57 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ron.Daugherty

Thanks Dave!
I have thought of getting a patent, in fact, I've written and filed for a patent on another invention, only to discover that a patent is truely an offensive tool, after someone has already stolen market from your idea. The focal point of any good idea is how well and how fast its marketed. Any good manufacturer is going to engage their own lawyers anyway, if an idea has merit. My appeal in this forum is really for networking with people like you to develope associations that can lead to getting this idea in the right hands to achieve the best marketing possible and hopefully in the hands of consumers that will benefit from its use.
Ron D
Been there-
If you are really genuine - do this:
document, date and record every last iota of your design
then proceed as fast as practical to make a working prototype
Then get financial backing - the money is out there
and share info with no one .
A patent pending is worthwhile and if your idea has merit , your backers will get a good legal arrangement in gear.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:34 PM
Ron.Daugherty

Libby,
I truly am genuine here on this forum. I'm a novice enthusiast getting back into the RC world after many years of absence. My father was an enthusiast long ago. My interest here comes from an accumulation of knowledge from disparate carriers that have given rise to an innovative idea. Have you ever seen something everyone was interested in and buying and realized you had the idea originally and could have developed it long ago. That’s the nature of my idea……I know it will soon be realized and become widespread. My dilemma is having a consuming career and family life that leave little time and resource to pursue something like this. My immediate goal is to find a company that will sign a non-disclosure and take my idea and run with it, maybe with occasionally insight from me. And, ultimately, if the idea is truly as good as I think, a fair return for the idea and the fruit it will bear.
Ron D
Old 02-23-2008, 03:29 PM
XJet
Banned

As someone who has made a living by turning "good ideas" into real products I can tell you several things I've learned:

1. There is *very* little that hasn't already been thought of by someone else before. At least 90% of my original ideas turn out to have been thought of by someone else before.

2. There's a *huge* void between an idea and a commercialized product that earns money.

3. You *can* protect yourself through a raft of patents, trademarks, copyright, etc -- but most of these are only a license to sue someone. If you don't have the money to sue for patent infringement then your patent won't do you any good at all. In the case of patents, you can't just call the police and say "he stole my patented idea", you've got to engage an (expensive) intellectual property lawyer and pay him a *huge* amount of money to file all the papers and press a prosecution at your expense.

4. The easiest (and often most practical) way to turn an idea into a money-earner is to simply act swiftly and quietly to turn the idea into a commercial product then pour your (remaining) money into (good) marketing. By doing this you're effectively doing two things. Firstly, you are creating a new market and secondly, you are "owning" that market. This means that you have 100% of the sales in that market (because nobody else is there) and others have to decide if they can wrestle a share of that market away from you. If you keep working hard on your R&D and marketing then you can always stay one step ahead of anyone that decided to copy you and steal some of that market.

5. Decide carefully how you intend to make your money and stick to the plan. There are usually two ways to make money from an idea ike this. Firstly, turn it into a profitable company and enjoy those profits. Secondly, turn it into a profitable company and sell that company for a very sizeable lump of cash so you can move on and do something else.

6. Be *very* cautious about licensing or forming a partnership with someone else or some other company. Remember that there are a lot of operators out there who aren't interested in your profits nearly as much as they're interested in their own. If you can do it yourself then that's often the best way to go -- but also remember that you probably don't have all the skills needed. Hire good staff and pay them well to do the things you're not so good at.

Did I miss anything?
Old 02-23-2008, 03:44 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: XJet

As someone who has made a living by turning "good ideas" into real products I can tell you several things I've learned:

1. There is *very* little that hasn't already been thought of by someone else before. At least 90% of my original ideas turn out to have been thought of by someone else before.

2. There's a *huge* void between an idea and a commercialized product that earns money.

3. You *can* protect yourself through a raft of patents, trademarks, copyright, etc -- but most of these are only a license to sue someone. If you don't have the money to sue for patent infringement then your patent won't do you any good at all. In the case of patents, you can't just call the police and say "he stole my patented idea", you've got to engage an (expensive) intellectual property lawyer and pay him a *huge* amount of money to file all the papers and press a prosecution at your expense.

4. The easiest (and often most practical) way to turn an idea into a money-earner is to simply act swiftly and quietly to turn the idea into a commercial product then pour your (remaining) money into (good) marketing. By doing this you're effectively doing two things. Firstly, you are creating a new market and secondly, you are "owning" that market. This means that you have 100% of the sales in that market (because nobody else is there) and others have to decide if they can wrestle a share of that market away from you. If you keep working hard on your R&D and marketing then you can always stay one step ahead of anyone that decided to copy you and steal some of that market.

5. Decide carefully how you intend to make your money and stick to the plan. There are usually two ways to make money from an idea ike this. Firstly, turn it into a profitable company and enjoy those profits. Secondly, turn it into a profitable company and sell that company for a very sizeable lump of cash so you can move on and do something else.

6. Be *very* cautious about licensing or forming a partnership with someone else or some other company. Remember that there are a lot of operators out there who aren't interested in your profits nearly as much as they're interested in their own. If you can do it yourself then that's often the best way to go -- but also remember that you probably don't have all the skills needed. Hire good staff and pay them well to do the things you're not so good at.

Did I miss anything?
Just one thing
document everything from earliest dates possible
And if for some stroke of good fortune --you have a money maker or potential moneymaker -
you must spend more $$$ in being diligent in protecting a patent .
In the USA patent law has gone berzerk - there are gonnifs filing patents which do not actually have an existing model -and IF some one else comes up with a $$$$ idea that in some (?) manner resembles their "patent", they file for infringment. and in some cases are awarded money instead of a .45 round betwixt the eyes.

Old 02-23-2008, 03:45 PM
Ron.Daugherty

Xjet,
This is the kind of advise I was looking for.....very helpful and much appreciated. I had been entertaining the thought of involving the rest of the family. I have a sister who has managed quality control for multiple electronics manufacturers....a brother who works in production and testing of integrated circuits....a brother who has spent many years designing, developing and testing high speed memory for Motorola and a brother who has successfully been runing his own IT company for some time now. My past career was in electronics but I've been a network engineer for some time now. With your insight, my course of action is a little more focused now but risk is always looming when you sacrafice your means of living and supporting a family. Its so much easier to dream there may be some legitmate company out there who will give you a fair compension and possible royalties from a profitable idea. Thanks for your interest and thoughts. I will probably approach my family before I make any committments to a potential manufacturer.
Ron D
Old 02-23-2008, 07:33 PM
hopkimf
My Feedback: (56)

Good advice from XJet. Keep quiet and move swiftly, by yourself. I've been a product designer for many years. My employers patented a half dozen or more of my ideas, with rights assigned to them per agreement. I decided to invent a thermoelectric device on my own, totally unrelated to anything done by employer. My first mistake was trying to patent it myself. It cost me thousands, and I didn't have access to the sharp corporate attorneys. I took my chances with a big Chicago firm and lost. In the long run, it was rejected due to prior art. My second mistake was deciding I didn't want to be in the manufacturing business. I built several working models and tried to sell the concept to a number of companies. Most didn't acknowledge receipt of information. Others said thanks, but no thanks. Of course, I already knew that. My employer gets hundreds of unsolicited ideas. They reject almost all of them. But I thought my idea was so great, they would want it for sure. In retrospect, the better choice for me would have been to use the money wasted on the patent to build a good supply of units. Then find a smart way to market them.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:05 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have to have a prototype even if it is big as a refrigerator as the manufacturers are going to want proof and at least file for the patent pend. paperwork as it can get you time to get your ducks in a row. The non disclosure is not a definite thing as a friend had an idea that was stolen and the people who stole it claimed to be working on it all the time and he had contracts and stuff to wave in their faces but it was not enough. The Wright brothers got the patent for the airplane and tried to protect it in court but the World ignored it and went around the design, which is why there are no great WW1 planes from the USA; we could not make anything because the technology was tied up in court.

The man who designed the Workmate was an aerospace engineer , who went to work for Lotus designing the Elite. He came up with the Workmate and could not get a manufacture to pick it up so he made and sold them out of his garage for 16 years with those tiny adds in the back of Popular Mechanics and the like. When Black and Decker picked it up, he was about to give up; the great idea is one thing but do you have the drive to keep after it until it comes out?

If the idea is that good i will probably be one who buys one.