Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aircraft channel question

Old 02-28-2008, 09:34 PM
flyby50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aircraft channel question

Hello, a while back i read about a certain aircraft channel that was not to be used, something about radio or tv maybe, i can't remember, does anyone know about this channel, thanks...
Old 02-28-2008, 09:42 PM
DMcQuinn
My Feedback: (13)

Default RE: Aircraft channel question

I think it is more myth than reality. But at our field we discourage the use of channel 20 because of alleged interference from TV
Old 02-29-2008, 11:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Different areas will tend have different conditions. Frequencies that work in one area may be "bad" in another. Here, we've had a pager near channel 50 that just "blew away" all efforts to use channel 50 and 1 or 2 adjacent channels. Other channels are similarly affected. That's why there are 50 channels in the 72 MHz band. If a channel is bad, you can go to another one.

If you are close to a channel 4 TV transmitter, then you may have difficulties with all of the 72 MHz frequencies. It depends upon how close you are to the TV4 transmitter, and how powerful that particular transmitter happens to be. In most areas, though, it's a non-issue.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:13 PM
flyby50

Thanks guys for your help, i think the channel 4 broadcast is hours away from me, i'll remember about the channel 20 problem also, flyby50[sm=50_50.gif]
Old 03-01-2008, 10:12 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 345 Likes on 276 Posts

I forget the exact math but the audio portion of the channel 4 broadcast mixes with the channel 20 signal to cause interference near or at a couple other frequencies.

As previously stated its pretty much a non issue in the days of dual conversion recievers and modern radio technology unless you are flying next to the stations antenna.